cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix a frozen computer in Windows 8?

DocTerry
Level 7
I recently purchased an Asus Zenbook, and was in the process of adding apps and updating to Win 8.1 when the machine froze at the logon page.

If this were Windows 7 I would try:
a. Boot into Safe Mode
b, Boot from the Windows Recovery CD/USB, or
c. Restore an image made with True Image.

However, to do any of these, as far as I know, I need to get to the Windows Metro start screen, or at least access to the Charms. BUT My computer is frozen.

Unfortunately, I am travelling overseas in a week so there was no time for an exchange, so I simply returned it to Amazon.

However, I am very curious. Is there a way to access the Win 8 charms when the computer is frozen at the logon screen?
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
You can pretty much do all the same things witn Win8 that you did with Win7 - I had hassles with my daughters Zen book getting stuck at 24% of an update and never budging from there. In the end I tossed out the ASUS OS and used my own.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You can pretty much do all the same things witn Win8 that you did with Win7 - I had hassles with my daughters Zen book getting stuck at 24% of an update and never budging from there. In the end I tossed out the ASUS OS and used my own.

"Pretty much" is not quite enough when the bit you can't do is boot from a Recovery CD or boot into the bios when the machine is frozen at the logon screen.

I would love to hear from somebody--especially someone from Asus (sic!), who knows how to do this.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Terry you have to power down your Laptop at that point obviously and you do so by holding down the power button.

Once you have powered down you simple use the designated Function key for your system during the power on process. If I have not understood then please do expand.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.