cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

crosshair formula z turn up/post promblem

unheiligen
Level 7
Good day people 🙂
my old computer went bonkers and since it was an core2quad processor I had to buy a new mobo, processor and ram for it.
So for the first time I decided to try amd for a change since I was low on budget.
I bought a fx8350 amd processor
a asus crosshair 5 formula z mobo
and 2 sticks of 4gb of g.skill ripjawsX @2400mhz
I already had a 1000wat power supply
a gtx 660 ti gpu
2 tb wb black caviar hdd
and a thermaltake gt lv 10 atx with liquid cooling.

so here is the problem the first time I finish building it up I try to turn it on and it gives me on the q-code a 55 and it didnt post. so I turn it off and when I turn it up again it didnt turn on.
The fans moved for like a for a second but it didnt do anything else.
so I disconnect the cmos battery and waited 5 mins and turn it on again. this time it did turn on but it gave me a 78 on the q code.
and after that it didnt want to turn on for a while until I flip the switch on the power supply from 150 to 230
but it didnt post and have me diferrent codes on the q-code. the codes were: 55, FF, 78, 62, 33, 50, 68, 0d and c9
I seriously gave up trying.i read online that this motherboard was troublesome but I didnt think it was this trouble some.
I wish you guys can help me out on this cause I really dont want to go through the trouble of RMAing it back for a new one.
if there is no other choice then I would do it but a preffer fixing it here.
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Your memory is not going to play nice with that CPU at all.

Those sticks are specifically designed for later Intel processors. I would suggest returning the ram and getting ram that is on the QVL list for the motherboard.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

so its the ram? I read the specs on the manual and it says that the ripjaws are also compatible with amd cpu eventhough they are made for intel cpu

HiVizMan
Level 40
You have a few options open to you if you wish to continue with the ram;

1 Inspect the CPU and see if some of the pins are bent or missing.
2 Check the memory slots for contaminants, bits of dirt basically which might be causing your memory not to be picked up
3 Change CPU and see if that helps
4 Change motherboard and see if that helps
5 See if you can borrow a buddies system that is know to work to test all your components.

Number 5 is the best of the options I listed. I have used the new RipjawX 2400 kit on some of my AMD systems and I did not have great success with all the processors. Older RAM from two or more years back worked better on my systems.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

EllipticDawid25
Level 8
cooling clamp can be 2 tight also causing faults with cpu
AMD FX 9370/ CROSSHAIR V FORMULA / MATRIX R9 280X PLATINIUM CROSSFIREx2/ CORSAIR VENGEANCE MEMORY 2133mhz 8GB / ANTEC 1300WATT/ CORSAIR 800D / WATER COOL 360MM RAD PUMP EK 2.2

unheiligen
Level 7
Sorry for the super late reply i couldnt get my hands on a computer.
so far i tried all those and didnt work
im going to get some lower DDR3 ram to see if that works

unheiligen
Level 7
oka I manage to get a friend to lend me a corsair dominator gt and so far it turns on but I get stuck with a qcode 66 and the screen is still black

unheiligen
Level 7
ok for some reason after putting my old ram back now it booted

unheiligen
Level 7
well everything is working fine now. thanks for the help guya

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good mate, seems your system was stuck in a learning loop. They system bios trains (learns) how to manage your memory and it must have been the introduction of the swapped out ram that broke that locked cycle.

Enjoy your system.