cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is you're Computer Security?

TokoDude
Level 10
Hey guys and girls,

I just wane know how you guys are securing you're pc?
If some 1 have some good security tips post them or if you have questions post them 😉

My Security setup is:

• Avast antivirus 2014 premier (settings are maxed to best security and scanning every day)
  • Addblock
  • Hitmanpro
  • Avast Easypass
  • and always updating every day my system.
  • BIOS password

You guys Encrypt you're HDD/SSD to?
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung
16 REPLIES 16

Clintlgm
Level 14
NIS
malware bytes
Strong Admin and user passwords
BIOS Admin Password
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional (real-time protection turned off, Malwarebytes free, Spywareblaster w/Auto Update, Ad-Muncher and CryptoPrevent free.

chrsplmr
Level 18
I find these types of programs cause more problems than prevent.
A good firewall and smart use rule the day. imho.
Also staying away from IE helps. [Chrome for me]

Get to know your AppData Folders and keep your TempFolders clean
and any issues that arise can quickly be resolved.
Keeping my OS drive separate from your files drive is another fav. of mine.
[although recently I had a bad experience with not doing that from a failed drive.]

Best of Luck .. and keep your guard up. An open port is an open door.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
I find these types of programs cause more problems than prevent.
A good firewall and smart use rule the day. imho.
Also staying away from IE helps. [Chrome for me]

Get to know your AppData Folders and keep your TempFolders clean
and any issues that arise can quickly be resolved.
Keeping my OS drive separate from your files drive is another fav. of mine.
[although recently I had a bad experience with not doing that from a failed drive.]

Best of Luck .. and keep your guard up. An open port is an open door.c.

This.

I used to run Avast, until I discovered how much it slowed my computer down. I never use IE... haven't since firefox first hit the net, and switched to chrome long ago (personal preference).

Now, in terms of security, I pay far more attention to my modem and router firewalls and port access than I do antiviruses. I check startup processes on a regular basis to make sure nothing is starting that shouldn't be.

Your first defense is attention to what your computer is doing vs what it should be doing.

Poco_OM
Level 10
"How is you're Computer Security?"

Illusionary.

I just wane know how you guys are securing you're pc?

Depends on who is trying to get in, and for what.

Some good starting points would be VPN, SSL , and getting rid of windows. (Really not very practical for most people)

You guys Encrypt you're HDD/SSD to?

Depends what is on them, and yeah I have been known to run truecrypt on more than one occasion.

The more you know how to secure your system (Exploit others) the more you realise that it is like trying to roll up a hill.

Running Wireshark is a good place to start if you feel your system may have been exposed.

Secure your sockets, but have you secured your apps?
Vulnerabilities are everywhere if you know where to look, and these are just the known ones.

TokoDude
Level 10
Avast is nowadays good optimised and is in the top of best optimised Antivirus.
Of course it's good 2 to turn SSID Broadcast off on you're routers.

I don’t think some 1 can keep their system clean even when knowing there hole system and all folders. A virus can easily hide somewhere good or infect a file .
It can even get into you're BIOS without knowing it.

Whireshark is indeed a good start to know you're connection and stuff. Ill try it out!

You can never secure you're system 100% safe there's always a way to get in but still you can prevent the easy ones.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

Poco_OM
Level 10
FUD, "Fully UnDetectable". Good luck AV! Lets hope it was a bad programmer so we can detect it. Let pretend that something can not be attached to something we have already said is safe.

He/She who has the skills will not be noticed.

The real question is why you are being spear phished as most hacker with any real skill are not targeting individuals. Those that are want into your system for a specific reason. These are the worst and often the line is blurred between law enforcement and criminal, or as in the community we call the black or white hats. We also have the grey hat, the one that is legal but does, or has done criminal things. These are the best you can get other than employing a black hat, but in doing so they become grey. Meh, that is the way it is.

Man in the middle attacks, Rainbow tables, Scanners, Data miners, all of them are good for the Wardriver. It is mainly Skids, new hackers that toy with such things these days, or top intelligence. The rest targets corporations and businesses not individuals.

A bios hack is the worst and not so many have the skill to do it, but those that do are growing at a fast rate. Protecting that is a new level all together. No longer will rewriting the MBR do.

Your credit card or personal information is much more likely to be lifted of a forum, or a companies accounts. Why target individuals when you can get whole lists by targeting one site?

It still pays to have an AV, but the fact is it probably is not going to help you if someone really wants access to your PC.

TokoDude
Level 10
Yeah it's fascinating how those hackers operate and most hackers is doing crime.
The government in my country is recruiting very much experienced hackers or people that know a lot of security in Holland to work for them for Cybercrimes. They even started now to train students for it after they knew NSA is spying on everyone....

Another virus that’s going on lately and is infecting hard people is the Crypto locker (ransomware) very annoying virus but people with no experience of computers pay those hackers off to get rid of the virus. It's annoying that they pay because now hackers keep making ransomware.

CryptoPrevent blocks that.http://www.fooli****.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/ There's a free and a paid version. The free does the same as the paid version. You just need to update it manually.
TokoDude wrote:
Yeah it's fascinating how those hackers operate and most hackers is doing crime.
The government in my country is recruiting very much experienced hackers or people that know a lot of security in Holland to work for them for Cybercrimes. They even started now to train students for it after they knew NSA is spying on everyone....

Another virus that’s going on lately and is infecting hard people is the Crypto locker (ransomware) very annoying virus but people with no experience of computers pay those hackers off to get rid of the virus. It's annoying that they pay because now hackers keep making ransomware.