Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

AMD upgrade build! AM3+

Hello ROG peoples! I am about to upgrade my current PC and I wanted to see what you guys had to think about this. I have always built AMD system and never really thought of going to Intel. I was going to build one just to say I have but after doing the pricing, the build I want to setup will be will over $2k. While this is do able it would take longer for me to get this going. So to be cost effective I figured I stick to AMD since I currently have a AM3+ board. I will list my current hardware.

CPU: AMD 1100T BE - Stock 3.3 Ghz (turbo 3.8) stock cooler.
    MB: Asus Sabertooth TUF 990FX rev1. BIOS 1604
    RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    GPU: EVGA 580 GTX 3GB
    PSU: I forgot what I have - think an Antec earth watts 700 watt (I'd have to double check this)
    HDD: Some old 7,200 rpm 1tb HDD.
    OS: Windows Vista 32-bit (yes I know, I know) - should I get windows 7 or 8? I've heard meh things about both.

So for the most part I was only going to keep my system board the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX rev1 and build around this. There was another forum here on ROG and people were stating that they too had the rev1 MB and were able to use the latest and greatest CPU from AM the FX 9590. My question is, is it worth it? Is it worth going from my AMD 1100T BE to a 9590? Or even a 8350? I might keep the ram as well but I bought this ram on sale and I may update this, not 100% sure atm. The PSU i'll probably upgrade as well since I've had this PSU for quite some time and I plan on doing some water cooling/SLI work. I just want to be as "cost effective" as possible. I primarily game with this computer but I do like to overclock every once in awhile. My main goal is to play any and every game available on ULTRA setting while SHI%##ING out 60+ FPS without the PC going into meltdown. I know my OS is hurting me a lot since its 32 bit and vista, I will but updating this soon but I wanted some advice on what I should do with this build. Just keep it? and update the OS/GPU? Or should I go in for a full on rebuild? Thanks guys. Sorry if I left out any info, please ask and I will provide. P.S I am trying to be as cheap as possible on this build but not lacking performance.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Welcome to ROG.

As to 'Is it worth it to go to the 9590?' It is the luck of the draw. Do you get a good one ?
    The 8350 will do the same if it to is a good one. as in .. luck of the draw.
    Prices have dropped considerably so it may be worth the shot.
    Better on a CrossHair V Formula Z though.
    Next is of course Win7 64pro or Win8 .. up to you really ..
    SSD .. no doubt should be included in the mix.
    Brining us to the GPU .. the R9-290x gets my vote .. or 2.
    Memory, very important .. Im fond of Corsair Platinum.. to each his own. @least 2133.
    The closed loop cooling Corsair H100i is dandy.
    The driving force of all of it is the PSU .. dont cheat yourself, treat yourself.
    What are you going to pack all this deliciousness in ?? What case ? Will it fit ?

Best of Luck. Keep us 'posted' .c.

ROG Member Array

Correct - I do plan on getting a SSD - which one and how big, that's something I still need to consider. Even though the price has come down, they are still rather expensive.

This is the case that I just recently bought for my new build, yes its not the newest case out the but I have a friend that has one and I've been eyeballing it for some time.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Black Steel SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

As far as the PSU, I haven't made up my mind but here are some that I've been thinking about, these may be overkill but like you said, I don't wanna go cheap on my PSU (or anything for that matter, granted its AMD).

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 1200W Modular Power Supply features 100% Nippon Chemi-Con Capacitors compatible with Intel Haswell Core i3/i5/i7 and AMD Phenom $270

SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050 1050W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready $190

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready $150

Not quite sure which one to go with......

Along side which every SSD I get I was also thinking about getting one of these.

Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

I've owned them before and they are awesome, they can be loud and the can "die" rather quickly due to the RPMs but they are worth it in the end.

As far the the GPU is concerned, I haven't really looked into the the new AMD GPUs but I have heard good things about them. I personally am a Nvidia guy. Nothing against AMD GPUs - but i've had way to many issues with AMD GPUs in the past. I haven't really looked into what GPU I will update to but here is what I am looking at so far.

SLI - EVGA 04G-P4-3768-KR GeForce GTX 760 FTW 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Again I'll check out the AMD cards as well, just they have put way to many bad tastes in my mouth in the past.

So about my motherboard, you think the sabertooth 990FX rev1 with be okay? Should I upgrade to the crosshair? I have owned a crosshair in the past and they are awesome. The only reason why I bought the sabertooth and not the crosshair on this last build was because there were a lot of bells a whistles on the crosshair that I didn't see myself every using. Thanks for your advise.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Of the PSU's .. I'd go with the Seasonic ..
    The WD's are good .. but if you use that money to invest in a bigger SSD or a second one to load
    the 'game of the day' on the rest is just storage.imho
    As to nvidia or AMD .. apples/oranges .. I am an AMD all the way .. hence my preference, besides the AMD's are better. hahha
    [celerons left a bad taste in 'peoples' mouths too .. today intel is doing pretty well.]
    The sabertooth has an attractive warranty as well .. The CrossHair Z .. as you say bells and whistles, enhances your options.
    You can save the bucks there and get another SSD .. or halfway to a 2nd GPU... decisions, decisions. .c.

770 = boosted 680.
    look at the prices of those and compare it whit an 780/780ti.
    thats if your desiding on nvidia.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Best buy for performance right now is a SSD. 240GB is just about right - any brand will do but make sure it is SATA 6G. I like Samsung but that is just me.

PSU is the foundation of your build. Seasonic gets my vote.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Thanks for the info guys, I definitely will get a SSD - since I don't know much about them, I may go ahead and check out Samsung. Since I've never dealt with or even research SSDs, any info that I may need to know when I go to boot this thing up for the first time? Do I need to go into the BIOS?, change boot settings? etc etc? Is a SSD just like a typically HDD? HiVIzMan, so based on my current system above, I should just update my HDD to SSD, replace my old worn out power supply and update my OS/GPU and I should be okay for some time? Thanks. BTW my Lvl 10 GT came in today. Pretty excited but far off from building or upgrading this PC I am currently am on.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

the way i would go is a psu, faster memory ssd 240 gb any will do 8350 since the 9590 is a hit n miss crosshair v z video card 770 for price wize or 2 if u want to game

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

AMD 9590 and Dom Plats 2133 with a few tweaks would beat all the 8350s current scores. If you have the extra cash it is a no brainer for me now it is more reasonably priced. Even if it is a cherry picked 8350, at least you know you have a good one and can avoid some of the lottery involved. Other than that I agree with everything else that is recommended.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Jmoorez2001, most of the problems with a PC is located between the keyboard and chair.
    If you get a bad board, then it does not matter what CPU is in it. If you get a bad CPU then it does not matter what board it is in. You are much more likely to get a bad board than a bad CPU. The CHVFZ + an AMD 9590 is a perfect match.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast