cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Riv Black problems

OGHabib
Level 7
Hello all, im having some issues with my Rampage iv Black edition. It seems to only want to post to bios when it feels like it! When I finally get it to post it only sees 16GB of my Ram, I have Corsair CMD32GX3M4A1866C9. Now I tried another set of ram that's 32GB as well and that only showed up as 16 also. In order to get it to post the first time I pushed the Mem OK button

When the bios doesn't post I got a few different error 65 AE 53. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi OGHabib 🙂

I'd like to say congrats on the new board but if it's giving trouble maybe I'll hold off.

Missing memory might be something as simple as not fitting it well....make sure you get a good, firm, audible click from both ends in all the grey slots when you seat it.

If it's not a question of seating it might be a question of the CPU making bad contact with the pins in the socket. You might like to remove the CPU....check the pins are where they are supposed to be and carefully reseat the CPU making very sure to fit the CPU cooler very evenly....tightening it only finger tight and very evenly into place....half turn on opposite corners in rotation all the way down.

Finally you could test one stick at a time in slot D1 to test if you have a bad stick and if they all pass test one of them on each slot A1,B1 D1 C1 to see if there is a bad slot on the mother board.

If pressing mem OK gets you into BIOS maybe try setting XMP and restarting...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi OGHabib 🙂

I'd like to say congrats on the new board but if it's giving trouble maybe I'll hold off.

Missing memory might be something as simple as not fitting it well....make sure you get a good, firm, audible click from both ends in all the grey slots when you seat it.

If it's not a question of seating it might be a question of the CPU making bad contact with the pins in the socket. You might like to remove the CPU....check the pins are where they are supposed to be and carefully reseat the CPU making very sure to fit the CPU cooler very evenly....tightening it only finger tight and very evenly into place....half turn on opposite corners in rotation all the way down.

Finally you could test one stick at a time in slot D1 to test if you have a bad stick and if they all pass test one of them on each slot A1,B1 D1 C1 to see if there is a bad slot on the mother board.

If pressing mem OK gets you into BIOS maybe try setting XMP and restarting...

I made sure the memory was in all the way! i will try each stick in the slots as you have stated. However now that you mentioned the CPU i do remember seeing the pins on the bottom of the CPU and something didn't look right. i don't think they were bent, but i will double check

Ok tried the RAM in different slots. The only Slots that posted were A1 and C1 every other slot would not post and gave me an error code 65 or 53. And tried all 4 sticks in A1 and all worked just fine

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK so the memory seems OK.... it's the slots not working....maybe next step is to have a good look at the socket and carefully remount CPU (if all is OK) might be bad contact to CPU ...or might be bad board.

You could try switching BIOS chips just to be thorough...

OGHabib
Level 7
Took off CPU none of pins look bent. However like I said earlier, under the CPU it looks as if there is a smudge, almost like a fingerprint. definitely not made by me, as I only handled it from the sides

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm I suppose warranty wise the best thing to do is not touch it further and send it back.....or try to clean it off. The area that contacts the pins can be cleaned with cleaning alcohol no problems in my experience...just don't touch the resistors etc in the middle.

Does whatever it is look like a substance deposited on the surface? something you could clean?

i'm not too sure, its possible it could be cleaned, but it also looks embedded in there. I will try to clean it. Do you think this is the problem, or you think its a problem with the board?

I have a 3960x CPU in another system that I could test on this board, however I don't have anymore thermal paste around

OGHabib
Level 7
upon closer inspection it actually does look like there are bent pins, my flashlight when pointed directly at it didn't allow me to see it, but from a different angle I was able to see 2 different pins bent in almost the same spot across from each other

OGHabib wrote:
upon closer inspection it actually does look like there are bent pins, my flashlight when pointed directly at it didn't allow me to see it, but from a different angle I was able to see 2 different pins bent in almost the same spot across from each other

If you can, go to your nearest Jeweler and ask him/her to straighten the pins for you