Asus Formula Vi
Gigabyte GTX 780 GHZ
Cool Master 1000W Silent Pro Gold
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400
Intel I7-4770K
Cool Master Haf-X Case
Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Fan

I'm having the following issues:

1.When powered on from a cold start, the system boo'ts up for 3-4 seconds and then restarts and boots normally. Is this normal? Ive read this might be a feature but it seems odd to me and I don;t see any mention of it in the manual.

2. Do I need both the 8 pin EATX12V_1 AND the 4-pin EATX12V-2 plugged in, or just one of them filled? Whats the difference? I'm able to boot with both filled and with only the 8 pin filled. I have not tried the 4 pin by itself.

3. When the system does boots, My memory is seen at DDR3 1300. Any ideas what is causing this?

4. Once the system is booted, I get a long beep followed by a series of short beeps and a CPU FAN ERROR message. Any thoughts on whats causing this?

Thanks in advance to any suggestions. Really eager to get this new system up and running.
9 REPLIES 9

KILLER_K
Level 10
I would try a cmos clear and see what you get then. Make sure to power it off and flip the power supply switch off. Hold down the cmos clear and then press and hold the power button to drain out the remaining power out the system. The boot and see if the problems are still there.

HiVizMan
Level 40
1 That is normal after a cold boot. The system double pumps to retain the memory.
2 Use both if you have both please.
3 Please post up a memory tab from CPUz - how are you OCing your memory? List your hardware
4 Do you have your CPU fan correctly fitted. List your hardware and include your cooling.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
1 That is normal after a cold boot. The system double pumps to retain the memory.
2 Use both if you have both please.
3 Please post up a memory tab from CPUz - how are you OCing your memory? List your hardware
4 Do you have your CPU fan correctly fitted. List your hardware and include your cooling.

3. Don't have the OS installed yet. The system reads the memory at 1300 during POST.

4. All hardware is listed in original post. The cpu fan is a Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo. The fan is connected to the 4 pin CPU FAN. I've read that I may need to alter the lower threshold for the cpu fan in the bios. I believe the range of the CM 212 Evo is 600rpm to 2000rpm so I'll check that after work.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Are you OC your memory at all via bios? if not then all is as it should be.

I would suspect your fan is running slower than the min level for the monitor. You can disable it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Haven't made any changes to BIOS yet. Is 1300 stock for the board? I guess I expected the memory to be recognized as 2400 on startup, but it makes sense that it would require a BIOS change. DO I have to up the voltage?

Yeah I've heard that disabling the fan monitoring can fix this issue as well. I'll have to try when I get home today.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries, yes stock is 1333MHz that is basically Intel default.

To OC your memory simply enable the XMP profile as your mode of OC to get the memory speed up to what is advertised on the sticks themselves.

Whexican
Level 7
Update:

First off thanks for the great help. I was able to get my system up and running. I lowered the cpu fan limit to 400 rpm and the error has gone away. All mobo power pins are in with no issues. I was able to install windows 7 and all the drivers for the mobo and gfx card. Working on Ocing the memory now.

For the memory OC, do I just change the DRAM Frquency to 2400mhz in the extreme tweaker tab? I did that, but CPU-Z is now reporting the max bandwidth at Pc3-10700 (667) MHz. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here.

Whexican
Level 7
Found the xmp option under Ai tweaker and set it. CPU-z is still reporting the Max Bandwidth as PC3-10700 in the SPD tab. In the memory tab I I have the Dram frequency listed at 1200 mhz. I'm not sure if this is correct.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You have your ram at 2400MHz my friend. The 1200 in the memory tab is Double Data Rate so multiply by two.

The other tab you have open is your SPD they are the preprogrammed default values and not what your memory is actually running at.

Nice IMC on your CPU by the way.