Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array HalloweenWeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
    the total lack of any documentation of this feature [Vt-d] just baffles me. When I was shopping for a board, I figured that the WS boards would be supported, but there was nothing showing that.
    This is no excuse for Asus, and I think Asus should also put the (early) BIOS screens in the manual W/some info on the settings. But:
    Perhaps next time you could ask the forum first?
    i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
    Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
    Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
    (EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
    That's very understandable, however the total lack of any documentation of this feature just baffles me. When I was shopping for a board, I figured that the WS boards would be supported, but there was nothing showing that. So since I was going to buy either a double Xeon system or a single I7 system, but neither with any indication of the feature being supported, I clearly was going to pick the cheaper i7 solution with the assumption that if it wasn't supported for months on end or indefinitely at least I'd be out fewer bucks. It's the kind of thing that is very customer unfriendly, and costs the computer industry. The argument that something is supported but just inoperable indefinitely because it is bugged would be better if it were published in advance, so that the consumer would know. Hopefully when people search the internet now, they will find this thread and many like it.
    Documentation on VT-d? Seriously? Where have you seen ANY documentation on VT-d? It's a technology in its infancy and it's aimed at the IT crowd who know what it is and how to use it. Any documentation on "it" comes from supporting hypervisors (VMWare, Xen, etc). Did you expect the motherboard to come with instructions on how to setup something like that? A motherboard doesn't have documentation on installing Windows (the standard supported OS), should it have on installing a hypervisor and using a very specialized feature that most people who use it, and understand it, have a degree on IT or Computer Science? I can't see any logic behind this.

Also. The feature like we said is not bugged. It always worked perfectly. The issue was that it was not yet implemented for the IB-E chips. That's not a bug. The best you can call it, is slow implementation. The X79 platform was made for SB-E chips. And the feature always worked for those. When IB-E chips came out, support for them had to be built into the UEFI. That specific feature was not high on priority. Getting the IB-E chips running stable was. Which makes sense. Workstation boards would have it as a priority. But those don't have overclocking and stability on their TODO lists. So I really do not understand what you are talking about. What bug? What months?

For what it's worth, the 9502 beta bios works on RIVE, but it is flaky ; it's just not a rock solid stable system. Perhaps it is worthwhile to spend 2-4 times as much money for a workstation with a vendor that explicitly supports vt-d.
    It's a um..beta? Even gold versions are not always solid. And we're talking ASUS UEFI/BIOS which is the best in the industry. Other OEMs EOL their flagship products with no fixes whatsoever, or have ridiculous bugs in every single version and we're going to cry foul here because a workstation/server feature did not score high on the priority list for implementation on a brand new CPU?
    And good luck finding an OEM that "explicitly" supports VT-d. And no, Supermicro (or any server/workstation market OEM) doesn't count as a comparison with mainstream consumer hardware. If you want a workstation/server, buy a workstation/server. If you want to save cash because you can get a worskstation/server feature that interests you in the mainstream consumer market, that's perfectly fine. But don't have expectation of any OEM prioritizing that specific feature when it's insignificant to 99.99% of the customer base of the specific product.
    We're 100 people tops that use this feature out of 100k owners of these boards. They care for overclocking stability and performance, they don't care about VT-d or my VMs. Here's a fun scenario: While everyone with a new IB-E CPU had issues with RAM stability etc, ASUS comes out with a UEFI update with this changelog: "Enabled VT-d for Ivy Bridge-E CPUs". Then imagine the justified rage from the majority of the owners.

I'm getting reaaaally tired of this lack of common sense and logic.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array HalloweenWeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    Other OEMs EOL their flagship products with no fixes whatsoever, or have ridiculous bugs in every single version and...
    Um, -cough-E-cough-V-cough-G-cough-A-cough-
    i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
    Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
    Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
    (EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Evga ??? I remenber them for P67 chipset, they do not want to realease Ivy-Bridge Bios update ... finally they did it on december !!! Ivy-Bridge was release on ... june !!! For Ivy-Bridge-E they finally release bios update on 10/21/2013 ... they were "reagent" this time (less than two month late).

To finish on VT-D support, we understand that this represent "bonus" feature and priority on ROG board is overclocking and stability but please give us beta bios like for the RIVE and we will be happy ...

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Well I was being politically correct, avoiding to mention any names. But I guess some things are common knowledge to people using hardware for years

Nax that RIVE beta was not officially released either. It was given to a user who had access to business channel support (if I remember right). I was the one who leaked it here (because people asked for it) as they sent it to me to help them troubleshoot an issue they had. If I had access to betas for the other boards be sure that I would have leaked them here as well.
    Last edited by Nodens; 01-26-2014 at 11:24 PM.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenWeed View Post
    Um, -cough-E-cough-V-cough-G-cough-A-cough-
    Amen, I will never buy a motherboard from those fools ever never again. Video cards sure mobo hells NO

Quote Originally Posted by -Nax- View Post
    Evga ??? I remenber them for P67 chipset, they do not want to realease Ivy-Bridge Bios update ... finally they did it on december !!! Ivy-Bridge was release on ... june !!! For Ivy-Bridge-E they finally release bios update on 10/21/2013 ... they were "reagent" this time (less than two month late).

To finish on VT-D support, we understand that this represent "bonus" feature and priority on ROG board is overclocking and stability but please give us beta bios like for the RIVE and we will be happy ...
    Thanks !

It is a long wait since the topic started ...

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array FireRx PC Specs
    FireRx PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel 10900 X
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMD32GX4MA2800c16
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Sound Cardonboard
    MonitorLG 34" curved
    Storage #1Samsung 960 M2 SSD 1 terabyte
    Storage #2Samsumg 860 EVO SSD 2Tb
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i
    CaseLian Li VS2000
    Power SupplyThermaltake 1200 modular
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Logitech
    Headset Powerbeats Pro
    Mouse Pad Xtrac Ripper XL
    Headset/Speakers logitech
    OS Windows 10 Pro 21277
    Network RouterNetGear
    Accessory #1 Logitech G940 FLight gear

[QUOTE=PuffY;367785]Amen, I will never buy a motherboard from those fools ever never again. Video cards sure mobo hells NO[/QUOTE

Bump

Same here!
    Intel Core i9 10900X @4.7ghz @1.182v
    Asus Rampage VI Extreme [bios 3105]
    LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
    Nvidia RTX 30909 FE
    Windows 10 Pro
    32gbz Memory

ROG Member Array

@ Nodens
    So I really do not understand what you are talking about. What bug? What months?
    Your quote sir, post # 73
    The facts are:
    The feature is supported.
    The feature is currently bugged for IB-E chips.
    and again your quote in #92:
    Also. The feature like we said is not bugged. It always worked perfectly. The issue was that it was not yet implemented for the IB-E chips. That's not a bug.
    I wouldn't have called it a bug. With all respect, I quoted you, because you did not like calling it unsupported. You called it a bug, then contradicted yourself.

I would call it unsupported, for months: it is currently the end of January 2014. Ivy-E came out in September 2013. I'm sure the specs were sent to bios manufacturers prior to public release, but who would really know? Is that a reasonable period of time? I don't know.

"Enabled VT-d for Ivy Bridge-E CPUs". Then imagine the justified rage from the majority of the owners.
    That's not the point; if it takes them a year to implement these things properly, then they should say that ivy-E is UNSUPPORTED. When they eventually get around to implementing it properly then they can say it's SUPPORTED. The point is the lack of information for the consumer. These half-baked bios releases from EVERY manufacturer that constantly need patching because everyone wants to get to market first are the problem.

You are quite correct in that no one provides good documentation. Documentation is not "how to set things up": just does it work or not.

I was in the market for workstation hardware. ASUS doesn't document that it works either, so I didn't get it.

As I said before, and you apparently agree, if you want assurances that virtualization hardware actually works, you are better off spending 2-4 times as much from a vendor that has the headache of dealing with the motherboard manufacturer. Your last paragraph makes it abundantly clear. Good luck finding a workstation OEM that puts in gaming cards for the crowd on this forum though.

Hey, whatever. I just came here for help, not to argue.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast