Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

And what about Asus Rampage IV Gene, is there the same problem with Ivy-Bridge-E and VT-D ? Is there a beta bios which correct it (that's my mainboard and my CPU) ? What about the Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (my next mainboard but not is vt-d does not work) ?

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

I don't know of a beta version for any of these 2 boards but soon the issue will be solved. Patience.

Funny so many people here use VT-d though. Since it's quite niche. Are you all trying to setup Windows clients with passthrough video adapters and Linux dom0?
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

My plan was to install W7 to VM and game on Linux, completely free from all viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    Funny so many people here use VT-d though. Since it's quite niche. Are you all trying to setup Windows clients with passthrough video adapters and Linux dom0?
    I'm sure those that actually require VT-d are the minority compared to the users that think they need it.

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Raghar View Post
    My plan was to install W7 to VM and game on Linux, completely free from all viruses.
    I guess most people here that know what it is want it for this particular reason. Gaming under Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    I'm sure those that actually require VT-d are the minority compared to the users that think they need it.
    That's why I'm asking Praz I want to make sure no one here is mixing up VT-d with VT-x because that's a common misconception and some people think they need VT-d to benefit from virtualization acceleration extensions on VMWare or HyperV for example.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

After waiting more than 3 month to have a asus rampage iv BE and pay 450€ for a mainboard (a crazy price if i think about it) i should'nt need more patience ... but i really need it firts for the asus rampage iv gene ! VT-D is the only reason i use both OLD X79 chipset and Ivy-Bridge instead of brand new Haswell (for my VM server, on X79 before this bug you do not have to choose between overclock AND vt-d) ...

Nodens PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

For VM server you should have gone with a server platform anyhow. If you want enterprise level (everything working 100% as they should the moment it gets out) you can't cut corners. That's why server market hardware has much slower paces. IB-E chips are still new, things are getting ironed out. Also waiting for 3 months for the release of a product is entirely irrelevant. When you see a product advertised as comming soon and you decide to wait for it, it's your choice and patience has nothing to do with it.

And X79 may be old but it is still the performance king. Something that you should appreciate more since you are using it for work as it lowers your TCO. Having a platform be at the top of performance for so long is excellent value for any business or regular user. Using Haswell because its chipset is "newer" makes no sense at all.

RealBench Developer.

"For VM server you should have gone with a server platform anyhow."

I am not a professional, i use it for technology watch and hobbies.

But understand me, i was using a good old 3820 with no problems with vt-d and changed it for a 4930K to gain 2 more cores and i lost vt-d.

It's not against you or ASUS and i know that vt-d support is a bonus which should'nt work with X79 chipset, but X79 is an old chipset, cards should not be so far from end of support and i am really afraid that my asus rampage iv gene finally never release a bios with vt-d.

IB-E is new, it's hard to understand for me, Asus is not a small market actor, they should have Ivy-E ES for tests since long months (as they should already have Haswell-E ES now). Is it so hard to allow VT-D ? You give a beta bios for asus R4IV and it is a very good point, but i know that this is the reference working mainboard that's why i'am afraid for my RIVGene and RIVBE support.

For waiting for RIVBE, it was very long to wait, it was announced mi-september, news said that it should be release end of october, finally mid-november in US and in Europe mid-december ... Asus X79-Deluxe was annonce end of august with stock mid/end of september ! That's why i tought it was so long !

"And X79 may be old but it is still the performance king" X79 chipset is outpassed, only 2 sata 3 no usb 3 support ... need to lose pci express lane to add more sata 3 and add usb 3 ...

Haswell has a better chipset and better CPU performance, the only miss is 2 cores and less Pci Express Lane. It's hard to have the Premiun platform but one generation late ... with the maintstream ... even if performance are only 10% better (by core).

ROG Member Array

@Nodens: You asked the question whether people really need VT-d? Or mix it up with VT-x?

Well, I'm the author of the "HOW-TO make dual-boot obsolete using XEN VGA passthrough" thread over at the Linux Mint forum (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=112013), which has had some 60,000 views over the past year. Here are two other popular threads on the same subject, just for reference:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1205216/g...irtual-machine
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768

An increasing number of people want to run Linux as their main OS, but still have a need for Windows to run specific software and games. VT-d and Xen/KVM (under Linux) are the key to do that without having to dual-boot.

As you can see from the responses on these threads, and the sheer number of viewers, this IS A HOT topic.

As you are aware, VT-d (or IOMMU) requires:
    1. A CPU that supports it;
    2. A motherboard and motherboard chipset that supports it;
    3. And finally a BIOS that enables and supports VT-d.

With regard to the Asus Sabertooth X79 and some other boards, there is a confusion about which BIOS (if any) supports VT-d. I'm owning the Sabertooth X79 and a i7 3930K CPU and VT-d works with BIOS 1203. But here http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us users report that VT-d support is broken in BIOS release 2003 and 2104.

Yet, on my inquiry to Asus tech support I received a reply that says that VT-d is supported. What, are those users lying?

I have noticed that Asus has recently stepped up its efforts to iron out bugs that affect VT-d or AMD-V (AMD boards). However, in order to endorse specific Asus motherboards I need definite proof that they support VT-d or AMD-V (IOMMU). I would also like to test a newer BIOS on my board, but I don't want to brick my computer.

Is there any way you or others here can help and put me in touch with those who do the VT-d testing (or the BIOS devs)?

I would also be willing to do some BIOS testing, as long as I'm assured I will get a BIOS version I can fall back on where VT-d works. (Just to make it clear, I won't be able to run Windows or any other VM if VT-d fails, essentially turning my PC into a brick.)

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

ROG Member Array

@Nodens: I hope this post doesn't get censored. I tried to post 3 links to 3 different forums which explain why VT-d is becomming popular. More and more people want to run Linux and prefer to run Windows in a VM, only when needed (for games, etc.). VT-d (or AMD-V for AMD) is needed for PCI and VGA passthrough to allow the guest OS to have full access to PCI hardware on the host.

I appreciate that Asus is taking this serious now and works on enabling VT-d. Is there a way to get an update on VT-d / AMD-V support across different Asus motherboards? That is, which boards and which specific BIOS releases have been tested for IOMMU support (VT-d or AMD-v)? Especially your desktop boards (I assume your server boards support IOMMU).

Thanks.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast