Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

Quote Originally Posted by mostlyharmless View Post
    I wouldn't have called it a bug. With all respect, I quoted you, because you did not like calling it unsupported. You called it a bug, then contradicted yourself.
    Yes I did not like it calling it unsupported because it's not unsupported and in the heat of the discussion when everyone was going nuts about it, I chose a bad word for saying it doesn't work for IB-E chips yet, trying to communicate that there's no such case of "usupported". My bad for not being a PR guy and choosing my words very very carefully when I'm trying to explain something to people that are reproducing misleading information.
    The point is though that you clearly understand why I used that word (and what I meant by it), since you clearly explain this in this post, yet you choose to quote me as if I used it in its terminology definition and claim I contradict myself.

I would call it unsupported, for months: it is currently the end of January 2014. Ivy-E came out in September 2013. I'm sure the specs were sent to bios manufacturers prior to public release, but who would really know? Is that a reasonable period of time? I don't know.
    If you want to be entirely correct then and you are so inclined to use the word "unsupported" (which imo you shouldn't..the proper way to state it is "it's not implemented yet" as the word "unsupported" has other connotations associated with it--which causes the problems that caused me to use that word in the first place/blind reproduction of the word in the wrong context), you should call it "not supported in UEFI for IB-E chips YET". Exactly like that. Because that's what it is. It is not an "unsupported feature" and it's not "bugged" with the definition of the terminology.

Also you seem to be entirely oblivious as to how much work a team of engineers need to put into these things. It doesn't matter if white papers are shared prior to release, which of course they are, along with engineering samples. What matters is the amount of work to be done which is determined on a case by case, issues that arise, total priority list that includes other issues, issue co-dependence, issues that arise on Q/A and a lot of other stuff that have to do with each company's internal processes. There is no fixed schedule in development. Period. Something is done when it's done. Or it is released unbaked/untested/buggy when you try force deadlines. This is the only constant in any kind of development from hardware, to microcode, to kernels, to userland applications.

That's not the point; if it takes them a year to implement these things properly, then they should say that ivy-E is UNSUPPORTED. When they eventually get around to implementing it properly then they can say it's SUPPORTED. The point is the lack of information for the consumer. These half-baked bios releases from EVERY manufacturer that constantly need patching because everyone wants to get to market first are the problem.
    We're still at 4 months, not a year. Secondly your logic is fundamentally flawed. Unsupported means I'm not doing anything to support it and/or I disable it or leave it bugged. Actively working on it to fix it, does not equal unsupported in any kind of context. No matter how much time it takes. Because by working on implementing it, you are actively supporting it.

Which lack of information are you referring to?

And everything will need patching always. Until the point where artificial intelligence will design and code hardware and software, everything will need patching at some point as it is impossible for humans to calculate every possible variation and scenario.
    Also do you prefer not having a UEFI that enables IB-E chip use on x79 for 6+ months until every single feature is implemented? Because that is what you seem to suggest. From a business standpoint it doesn't make any sense to wait until you have VT-d enabled for IB-E chips before you release your first version for it. It doesn't even make sense to wait until everything is absolutely stable to release your first version. This is the consumer market. People want stuff and they want it now. Tell them to wait 6 months so everything will be fine and dandy doesn't work. They'll buy something else that advertises it has it working even if it crashes every 2 minutes. That's blind consumerism for you
    If you have any experience with motherboards, you'll know that ASUS BIOS/UEFI is the best you can get on this market. And these particular ROG boards have so much support that I make it a habit of using them for business (I'm also cutting corners here..I should be using Xeons for some of my stuff). This is enough for me. I am realistic in my expectations. Notice that I have not yet bought a single IB-E chip. I plan to, but not yet. I would if I only had a gaming rig. But I use my systems mainly for work and I know how these things work and the minimum time for new technology maturity.

You are quite correct in that no one provides good documentation. Documentation is not "how to set things up": just does it work or not.
    You asked for documentation on VT-d. Documentation on that only seems to suggest how to set it up. As far as it's a platform feature, it works. You don't need to single it out and specifically say that it works. That's logic is absolutely flawed. Do you see anywhere a list saying:

SATA 6G - It works!!
    SATA 3G - It works!
    PCIe Bus - It works!
    DMI2 interconnect - It works!
    VT-x - It works!
    EIST - It works!
    C-States/Core parking - It works!
    Intel NIC - It works!!
    Quad Channel RAM - It works!
    AVX - It works!
    SSE4.1 - It works!

I could go on for ages. See the falacy of what you are asking? Why are you singling out a particular platform feature to ask for a specific statement that it works? It's a platform feature and this is the platform. So of course it works. If it doesn't it's a bug and needs to be reported and fixed. It's not planned so that "it doesn't work". And like we said a million times already it always worked for SB-E. Why would you predispose yourself into thinking it won't work unless specifically stated?!?! Did you do that for any other feature of the platform?
    Like we also said a million times IB-E is a special case as it is still new. By using it you're an early adopter. And by adopting early you always bound to hit issues. Why do you think that the Enterprise market waits for AT LEAST a year (mostly 2)before adopting anything new?

I was in the market for workstation hardware. ASUS doesn't document that it works either, so I didn't get it.
    As above. No one documents that. It's implied. It's a platform feature. It's expected to work anyhow.

As I said before, and you apparently agree, if you want assurances that virtualization hardware actually works, you are better off spending 2-4 times as much from a vendor that has the headache of dealing with the motherboard manufacturer. Your last paragraph makes it abundantly clear. Good luck finding a workstation OEM that puts in gaming cards for the crowd on this forum though.
    I agree but tet me clarify. If you want assurances that ANYTHING (not just virtualization hardware) works always 100% as it should at any given time, you should be looking at the market that works with that requirement as the priority, yes.

Hey, whatever. I just came here for help, not to argue.
    And that's what we're trying to provide here, voluntarily (at least those of us who are not @ASUS). The problem is when certain stuff are getting said repeatedly that not only do not make sense/stand but also cause 4 pages of posts from people who are reading them wrong/fast and assume other things.
    For example in this thread it has been implied that this specific feature did not work in general many times and from different users. And we're repeatedly posting the same things trying to get everyone to understand that the feature always worked but has not been implemented for the new IB-E chips yet. Then another person jumps on the thread, reads the word "unsupported" and without reading anything else, perpetuates the cycle allover again. And by comparison this thread is tame. There are other threads (mainly motherboard related threads), where this happens ad infinitum and you end up with a 200 page thread that repeats the same stuff again and again...
    You must see how this gets tiresome after a while..

Trying to avoid yet another cycle I will restate the facts here:

a) The feature works and always worked for SB-E chips.
    b) The feature is currently not yet implemented for IB-E chips.
    c) Implementation for IB-E chips is currently being worked on.
    d) ASUS workstation boards have this at a higher priority.

So I'll ask for a little patience and you'll have a working UEFI version for IB-E chips soon.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Still waiting ... i do not forget ... i hope we will have this update before Haswell-E ...

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

R4EBE version is out. Other boards I'd expect won't be til some time after CNY.

New ROGer Array

Do you know if the ASUS X79 Deluxe has VT-d support? Or, if not, will the board get it in a future update?

If i have the courage i will test it this afternoon, but i don't think the X79-Deluxe have got it ... The release note of UEFI update seems to be the same than RIVGene ...

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by -Nax- View Post
    If i have the courage i will test it this afternoon, but i don't think the X79-Deluxe have got it ... The release note of UEFI update seems to be the same than RIVGene ...
    That'll be great if you could test it. If not, it's ok.

I'm planning on purchasing this board next month so i'm wondering if it does have VT-d support or not, especially for IVB-E processors.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The X79 Deluxe has Ivy-e VT-d support for sure (with the last bios update 0605).
    I noticed the option wasn't there on the bios it came with but appeared after I flashed.

Having the option is not enough ... can you test with Vmware Esxi and verify it ?

octoberaslan if you are in france i have a new one to sell .

ROG Enthusiast Array

If there's a fast way of testing vt-d functionality, let me know!
    Don't have esxi lying around.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Mafste View Post
    The X79 Deluxe has Ivy-e VT-d support for sure (with the last bios update 0605).
    I noticed the option wasn't there on the bios it came with but appeared after I flashed.
    Ah, thank you. I didn't see it in the BIOS notes on the ASUS X79 Deluxe download page.

Quote Originally Posted by -Nax- View Post
    octoberaslan if you are in france i have a new one to sell .
    I wish I was in France, but unfortunately I live in the US, and if I took you up on that offer, I'd expect maybe $100 to $200 US to ship it here via FedEx/UPS.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast