cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System crashes with ANY overclock ? (Noob OCer)

krtshv
Level 7
Hello, I would appreciate if anyone could please help me.

I've recently bought a new PC and assembled it. My motherboard is a R4E.
I put in my memory sticks, which are supposed to run @ 2400MHz with X.M.P on, but it seems that whenever I turn X.M.P my system decides to crash any time I play a game.

The same goes if I put on an overclock to my CPU via the pre-set settings (e.g to 4.1GHz). No matter how small the OC I do is, the system simply crashes in games.

The odd thing is, the system is completely stable in stress benches, I've tried Prime95, AIDA64, MSI's Kombustor. All stable and fully running... But whenever I run a game (or even Unigine Heaven 4.0) the system dies out.

What do I mean by "dies out" ? Both of my screens turn black, no response from keyboard / mouse, audio continues to play normally, hard reset button doesn't do anything.. Only thing that works is the power button.
When the system comes up afterwards, I get a screen saying "Overclocking Failed!".

If anyone can give me advice what to do and how to fix this so I can at least get 2400MHz running properly before I start OCing the CPU, it'd be great.

System Specs:
W8.1 Pro
Rampage IV Extreme (latest BIOS)
i7 4930K
Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 2400MHz (1333MHz non XMP).
R9 290X
SeaSonic X-Series 1250W 80+ Gold PSU
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello

Could you do something for me please. Have a look at the OS event viewer to see what was the cause of the issue.

Now your memory could you please post up the exact part number for your kit. I am assuming it is a singe 4 x 4 stick kit.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Hello

Could you do something for me please. Have a look at the OS event viewer to see what was the cause of the issue.

Now your memory could you please post up the exact part number for your kit. I am assuming it is a singe 4 x 4 stick kit.

I tried looking into the Event Viewer, didn't find any specific event other than the "Critical" one with the Power Loss, where I turn off the PC.

The exact model is CMZ16GX3M4A2400C9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ok all good with the memory that is a 4 x 4 kit. However Vengeance does not like the X79 boards - have seen over 3000 threads about X79 and issues with those memories I kid you not. BUT it should be fixable.

Here is what you do. Set XMP profile and drop your memory frequency to 2133MHz, it could just be your CPU IMC is not up tot he job of running 2400MHz. Now download ROG realbench and run the benchmark twice. If your system passes then you are basically sorted. Not the stress test the benchmark.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Ok all good with the memory that is a 4 x 4 kit. However Vengeance does not like the X79 boards - have seen over 3000 threads about X79 and issues with those memories I kid you not. BUT it should be fixable.

Here is what you do. Set XMP profile and drop your memory frequency to 2133MHz, it could just be your CPU IMC is not up tot he job of running 2400MHz. Now download ROG realbench and run the benchmark twice. If your system passes then you are basically sorted. Not the stress test the benchmark.

Thank you! First person to actually help me solve the problem.

I managed to stable my system @ 2133MHz on the RAM and 4.4GHz on the CPU. Thank you very much 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good my friend stop by every now and then and just say hello.