cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought "wrong" memory, now I need help upgrading

Retired
Not applicable
Hi people, a year ago I bought a formula IV(which has worked pretty good btw :D) and a set of corsair 4GB(2x2) DDR3 1600MHz/CL 7-7-7-20 and I realised that according to:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM3/Crosshair_IV_Formula/C4F_Memory_QVL20100726.pdf

I can only have a 2 Slot-configuration. Can anyone confirm this? I need more than 4gb so I need to upgrade but I would rather prefer to buy only 4 not 8 gb.

Btw- don't even use the low cl, crashed after a while and then I just didn't bother to read up on overclocking :D.

Thank you in advance
11 REPLIES 11

gvguy39
Level 8
I would venture to say that if you bought another set of the same that you have and loosen the timing say to 8-8-8-24 you could run 4 sticks. However, the price of memory has dropped drastically as of late, you could get a 2X4gb set for about the same as another set of what you have that you possibly couldn't use in 4 stick setup.
Phenom II 1090T @ 3.7 CH 4 formula (2002 bios) | 2x4 Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 2x60gb Patriot SSD sata II (raid 0) OS & games | Sapphire Radeon 5970 | misc WD HDD's | Asus Bluray reader | win7 pro (64) | Obsidian 800D

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome Todilo & gvguy39,
Agreed.. and by the end of the year, they will be giving the stuff away..practically.
This is a IV, not a V, we are talking about?
Personally, I am a huge fan of Dominator GT, I have used it quite successfully on
both the C4E and the C5F...best of luck..stick around and ROG awhile.c.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Highly recommend that you go with 2x4GB modules since memory is so cheap these days.
Will put less stress on the IMC versus running with all dimms populated.
Great memory, running this set on my V and also used it on my IV:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
Highly recommend that you go with 2x4GB modules since memory is so cheap these days.
Will put less stress on the IMC versus running with all dimms populated.
Great memory, running this set on my V and also used it on my IV:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455

+1 here 2 sticks is less trouble than 4 the regular 1600mhz ripjaw work fine too, I use those one in all my 890fx motherboard , they are 16 gb kit, but they make 8 gb too

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

Retired
Not applicable
Thank you all for you answers. Must have forgotten the "email on reply option" 😞 . Do you have any suggestions whithout heat-sink? The dominators are great memory-sticks but they are too high, will interfere with my CPU cooler.

Found: CML8GX3M2A1600C9
and CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9
and CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
and CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
at very good prices (practically giving them away).
Will any of these work good as 16GB? I am working alot with Zbrush and well I have ps3 media server which together with some Photoshop and firefox takes up a lot of space!! 😄

Btw how is the overclocking nowadays, any good automatic tools? I have mine configured as very noiseless atm, but just curious.

Again thanks for you response.

Todilo wrote:
Thank you all for you answers. Must have forgotten the "email on reply option" 😞 . Do you have any suggestions whithout heat-sink? The dominators are great memory-sticks but they are too high, will interfere with my CPU cooler.

Found: CML8GX3M2A1600C9
and CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9
and CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
and CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
at very good prices (practically giving them away).
Will any of these work good as 16GB? I am working alot with Zbrush and well I have ps3 media server which together with some Photoshop and firefox takes up a lot of space!! 😄

Btw how is the overclocking nowadays, any good automatic tools? I have mine configured as very noiseless atm, but just curious.

Again thanks for you response.

Im running the Corsair Vengeance 1866 4x4 16 Gig. SPD's 1.5V but It only worked at 1.65V and has been very stable at 4.0GHZ CPU clock and the memory is running close to 2000 O.C.
(CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) Allot of guys are blaiming memory for problems but from what I've found you really have to pump some voltages.. Also make sure youre HDD setup is kosher with bios setup.. I.E. I have my SSD and DVD on ports 5 and 5 under IDE mode and reflected in Bios as such, I have 3 Velociraptors in Raid 0 on 1,2,3 ports. every time I had to default my bios I'd have to set this back up or it acted like a mem failure no boot.
Chances are your memory will work youre probably overlooking something in bios setup Vs. your config. It took me 3 weeks 8 cases of Budweiser and banned once for going off the deep end with this board to even get an os to install.. now its running PERFECTLY .. Percevierance !!!
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

Retired
Not applicable
I would love to get
CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
but I don't think they fit. I have a Noctua NH-D14 which I think will be in the way for any memorysticks with that high profile.

Retired
Not applicable
Instead of making a new thread I hope bumping this will be enough of attention. I went to corsair homepage(since well I think they make nice memory sticks), did a lookup of what memory sticks that was compatible with the Formula IV

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
was listed so I bought that. I plug it in and the computer won't boot. The flash goes to RAM and then reboots over and over again. I then upgrade my bios seeing that it adds memory compatability. I then try again, no luck. I then plug in one of the memory sticks and it works. I plug in the second and it does no longer work ..... am I doing osmething wrong? I did try to "Go button" but it did not help. Ideas?

NemesisChild
Level 12
Put one stick in, boot into the bios, manually enter the memory timings, frequency & voltage.
Then let it boot into Windows, then shut it down, pull that stick and replace it with the other stick.
If it fails to post, then you'll know if that is a bad stick or not.

Note: Place the single stick in the slot furthest away from the CPU.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601