cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Ideas for a new GPU

Animekid117
Level 7
Hello, I am a fairly new ROGer and I built my first PC over the end of summer break and I put in a value GPU an Nvidia GTX 650 1 GB GDDR5. I am looking at upgrading and do not want to kill my wallet. I am looking at either another NIVDIA card or a Radeon card. Any advice from experienced builders is welcome.
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15

Well I'm a bit biased towards team red. Every time I've been in the market for a new GPU (with an open mind) I go with AMD because you get more performance per dollar.
That being said, right now I'm rocking a 2GB 7870 And Its solid, I also don't game passed 1200p currently so its been more than enough juice with a 3570k (both slightly overclocked).
Right now the 7870's on newegg are going for 200ish, some with 2 game promotion deals, after that your moving onto the 7970 or AMD's new R280 (basically a different type of 7970). Both cost 330 currently but I guess the 7970 still has more OCing potential so I'd still recommend the 7970 over the r280.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you find good deals on ebay for either card because like junkies, we pc gamers always need the latest hardware fix so definitely check out ebay currently.
I'm sure someone from the green team can chime in but I feel unqualified to point out Nvidia's options.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Right now the AMD graphic cards are the best bang for your buck by far.

One good thing with the AMD cards is that you can upgrade later with a newer model and simply crossfireX that card with your older AMD card.

Nvidea you need to jump through hoops to SLi.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

LukesEye7
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I just completed my first ever pc build and am in a similar situation as Animekid. My current setup is:

i7 3770k oc'd @4.2
Maximus v Gene mobo
8 gb corsair vengance 1600
Corsair H80i
corsair TX750 psu
Asus 650 ti boost.
Monitor Res 1920*1080

Skimped out a bit on the gpu at first and am kind of regretting it now as I have gotten more into gaming. I'm looking to upgrade with a budget of around $250 (depends on Bfriday deals)

Would a 7970 be my best bet? Any suggestion would be appreciated !

Thanks