cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build suggestions? Maximus vi extreme

NRecine116
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums here and was looking for some tips on my new build. I'm pretty set on my options but any feedback would be great!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866

Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" SSD + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM.

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB ... probably going with the superclocked/acx

Power Supply: 1000 watt supply... still looking and not sure if this would be enough for running multiple gpus

Monitor: BenQ XL2420TE 24.0" A

Case: Storm Stryker

Cpu Cooler: V8 GTS? or H100i .. i love how the V8 GTS would look on the board but I'll probably go with the h100

I read that the LGA1150 should be around for the next few years so this seems like my best bet on future proofing my pc a couple years and leaving room for upgrades.

If you guys think there's some other options I should take into consideration on maxing performance and graphics let me know. Love to hear some second opinions.
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, NRecine116.

If I was putting together a gaming rig with your budget, I'd grab the G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB DDR3 2400 kit. A few modern games already takes advantage of higher bandwidth memory. Future games will be capable of exploiting it more.

As a minimum, I'd grab a 250GB SSD. With a 120GB, after Windows, drivers and frequent program installations, you'd have enough space for around 2 to 3 games maximum. And since modern games can occupy as much as 30GB, getting a bigger SSD is the right choice. Heck, I'd even goas far as dropping the platter drive to get a 500GB+ SSD. But that's just me.

A 1000W unit will power as much as 2 GTX 780Ti without problems. If you're planning to go as far as 3 of them, then get a 1200W. As for PSU brands, Seasonic is pretty much the Crème de la Crème. The Platinum-1000W is an amazing unit and worth every penny. The 1200W version should be one Q1 of next year.

NRecine116
Level 7
Thanks for the tips Chino. I'm definitely going to look at the SSD options a little more and definitely going with a bigger PSU so I don't run into problems down the road.
I'm a little confused by the bandwidth comment maybe you can help clear it up for me. From what I've read 1600 is the best choice because I'll be running at a lower CAS while the 2400 runs at a higher CAS. Is it better right now to sacrifice the CAS for more bandwidth because that's what the games are going to be geared toward?

HiVizMan
Level 40
There are a number of really good deals with larger capacity SSD at the minute. Crucial is a good place to look, go their web page and look at the M500 range. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
There are a number of really good deals with larger capacity SSD at the minute. Crucial is a good place to look, go their web page and look at the M500 range. 🙂

Thanks, I took a look but I really want some extra storage space it's still pricey for SSD hopefully it drops in the next year or two. I'm going to go with a Caviar Black 2tb that's on sale right now and a 256 gb samsung 840 pro. If I had the money to burn I'd pick up one of those bigger SSDs!

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will have no worries with the Samsung it is a good SSD.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Just an update. I will be picking up the Maximus VI Formula instead of the Extreme. Trying to drop down the cost of a few things and I don't think I'll need all the features of the extreme as I'll be more gaming oriented.

Can I get some thoughts on the Trident X Series 2400. It runs at 1.65 volts, I have a friend telling me I'll run into problems with voltage and I should stick at the Trident X 1600. Any thoughts on this? I didn't consider that as being an issue when looking for ram.

NRecine116 wrote:

Can I get some thoughts on the Trident X Series 2400. It runs at 1.65 volts, I have a friend telling me I'll run into problems with voltage and I should stick at the Trident X 1600. Any thoughts on this? I didn't consider that as being an issue when looking for ram.

No issues there. We've been running RAM at 1.65V since forever. Heck, back in the DDR2 days, we ran RAM at 1.80~1.90V. 😛

Praz
Level 13
The Trident X 2400 will work fine. Be sure to purchase all the sticks you need as a set.