cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar Phoebus Solo 7.1 Vs Xonar D2X

Dietlard
Level 8
Hi Guys.

Decided to splash out on a decent set of Sennheiser headphones.

Running Windows 8 Enterprise with a 7.1 Creative speaker system connected to a Xonar D2X on a Crosshair V-Z mobo. and thought that the Phoebus Solo would allow me to use the 7.1 speaker system and power the (Sennheiser PC350SE Noise Blocking Gaming Headset) headphones when I have to be quiet.

I have a couple of questions if anyone has the relevant experience or knowledge;

Ignoring any driver problems (for this question), how does the Phoebus compare with the D2X - is it better, worse or just as good as ?

Is anyone having sound problems with the Phoebus and Diablo III or Skyrim ?

Am I right in thinking the D2X does not have a built in headphone amplifier and the Phoebus Solo does ?

Is there a better card out there that might suit me for up to £150 ?

Would I be better off sticking with the D2X and spending more cash on better headphones ?

Would appreciate any advice as can't really get out and about to check this out myself.
3 REPLIES 3

Glasofruix
Level 8
After a bit of reading it seems that both cards should sound about the same, the d2x having a bit of advantage since apparently some of it's components are of a higher quality (and it has an optical-in port), but then it's not a native pci-e card and it lacks a headphone amp.

I have no problems with sound in D3 and skyrim, i'm one of the rare people not having (gamebreaking) problems with the phoebus in fact 😛 since i don't use protected audio or asio. But then the positionnal effects are broken (dolby ht is not detected as surround setup and xear surround headphone sounds like a joke) to the point that i am forced to use razer surround software (which is surprisingly good).

The D2X is a great card, i can't think of anything better on the market if you want 7.1 output (creative Z series are limited to 5.1), so i'd say keep it and fork some cash on a headphone amp (fiio e11/12 or a powered CMOY amps are quite cheap and effective) and a split cable.

The sennheiser PC350 are pretty good, i haven't seen any other headphones with an attached mic that can compare to them (maybe the pc360, if you want a wider soundstage and you don't care about noise isolation, both ways. You should consider those and since they're only 50 ohms you wouldn't need an amp).

Tacoboy
Level 7
Dietlard wrote:
Hi Guys.

Decided to splash out on a decent set of Sennheiser headphones.
Running Windows 8 Enterprise with a 7.1 Creative speaker system connected to a Xonar D2X on a Crosshair V-Z mobo. and thought that the Phoebus Solo would allow me to use the 7.1 speaker system and power the (Sennheiser PC350SE Noise Blocking Gaming Headset) headphones when I have to be quiet.
I have a couple of questions if anyone has the relevant experience or knowledge;
Ignoring any driver problems (for this question), how does the Phoebus compare with the D2X - is it better, worse or just as good as ?
Is anyone having sound problems with the Phoebus and Diablo III or Skyrim ?
Am I right in thinking the D2X does not have a built in headphone amplifier and the Phoebus Solo does ?
Is there a better card out there that might suit me for up to £150 ?
Would I be better off sticking with the D2X and spending more cash on better headphones ?
Would appreciate any advice as can't really get out and about to check this out myself.

You might be better off getting an EPH-O2 headphone amplifier (99 GBP) for use with the D2X
You can plug the EPH-02 amp into the computer case's front headphone jack or unplug the speakers from the D2X's "Front Speaker" jack and plug the EPH-02 in that jack, the EPH-02 can also be used with more then just a Win PC's sound card.
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifi...

Glasofruix
Level 8
Front panel connectors should be avoided at all cost if you value good sound.