cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which 750?

inactive
Level 7
Hey gents,

So I'm purchasing a 750, just not sure which one...I plan on using it as my primary system for gaming (BF4, PS2 and Warthunder) and artwork (CS6, vector, raster and video editing) and I don't care about 3d. Big kicker, I will be taking it with me to Afghanistan soonish.

How well will they hold up, It won't be going on foot patrols or anything
I'm not terribly worried about the prices, I would rather pay for more of what I need/want instead of extras that I'll never utilize.

Thanks in advance for your time!
5 REPLIES 5

villiansv
Level 11
The major differences are the graphics card (765M for JW, 770M fr JX, 780M for JH). I have a JX. Each of the 3 models also has different RAM and disk drive configs, and as you said 3d on some models. For tasks that don't use the GPU much, like photoshop, vector editing (i.e. CPU-intensive tasks), all models will perform identically (RAM amount may be an issue, but you should know what you need for your workflow). Video editing may or may not depend on your GPU, depending on which program you use I believe.

Gaming I believe the JX will be enough to play games coming out in the next 2 years at least on medium settings. I haven't found a game that's out that can't be played on max/ultra (if you know what NOT to max, e.g. max antialiasing is pointless on a small high-res screen). The JH will of course be better, however if you are taking it on trips you risk accidental damage a lot more than if you only use it at home, so it's less prudent to buy a very expensive model (chances of it lasting its entire lifetime are lower).

reka121402
Level 7
I have a 750JX and I'm very glad I got this over the 750JH's price premium. The 780 that is in the JH is hands down the fastest mobile card, but $1000 extra for that and a SSD that in my opinion is over complicated is just too much.

My JX, with aftermarket Samsung 840pro, gets me great fps in most games: (Low/High) BF4 50/75, swtor 60+, wow 60+, and a few others with the same result. I always run Ultra textures with some games maxed and others like BF4 a mixture of other settings between Medium and Ultra.

I've never used any editing or rendering software on this laptop, but I would have to assume this would be the main area that the 780m would shine.

hmscott
Level 12
inactive wrote:
Hey gents,

So I'm purchasing a 750, just not sure which one...I plan on using it as my primary system for gaming (BF4, PS2 and Warthunder) and artwork (CS6, vector, raster and video editing) and I don't care about 3d. Big kicker, I will be taking it with me to Afghanistan soonish.

How well will they hold up, It won't be going on foot patrols or anything
I'm not terribly worried about the prices, I would rather pay for more of what I need/want instead of extras that I'll never utilize.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Get the G750JH if you can swing it 🙂

It has better cooling, CPU temps at 100% are in the 75c range instead of 80-90c range on the JW/JX at the same 70F ambient temperature. You will likely see higher temps if you run with out air conditioning in Afghanistan.

The RAID is wicked fast, way faster than the fastest single SSD:

The AUO screen is awesome, actually too bright for me compared to the Chi Mei at 100%, so I run it at a few ticks off of 100%. The AUO screen specs at 70hz refresh, so I put in a custom setting in Nvidia Control panel resolutions for 1920x1080@70hz. The color balance is pleasing without correction - I uninstalled Splendid - too garish of color correction. And, there are *NO* Horizontal Lines - it is a great display!

The Killer Wireless-N 1202 (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wifi card in the JH is the first G750 to download on wifi at the same speed as on Ethernet:

Gigabit Ethernet:

Killer Wireless-N 1202 (2.4GHz and 5GHz):

As a last ditch defense, clobber the bad guys over the head with the JH, it'll take out a hoard of baddies and keep on running!

Have fun, stay safe, and don't let the sand get into your JH... 😉

Here is an in progress BOINC run snippet using 100% CPU/ 85% GPU with temps, ambient 68F:

Woofyhugger
Level 7
JH.. you won't regret it.
G750JH-T4074H i7-4700HQ, 32GB, 512GB SSD + 1TB , GTX780M-4GB
G75VW-T1013V
G74SX

inactive
Level 7
Wow, you guys are AWESOME! I appreciate all the thought out responses and information. I see why everyone who goes ROG stays ROG!