cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which version Windows 7?

Sirrrus
Level 7
I keep forgetting a few things with my new gaming build (like thermal compound - YIKES!)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2aeKD

And it occurred to me that I'll need Windows, and I cannot stand Windows 8 (unless someone has a REALLY good reason why it would benefit a gamer like myself). So Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional of Ultimate? I have no idea the real differences between them other than Remote Desktop, Domain, etc. I plan on sticking with 1 monitor (50" plasma TV at 1080p).

Which one will suffice for a pure gaming PC? Should I even consider Windows 8? What benefits will I gain?

This forum has been phenomenal! I cannot express my gratitude to everyone who has contributed their time and knowledge! But THANK YOU anyway!
12 REPLIES 12

kkn
Level 14
some have more function then others same as amont of ram suported.
google ram how to find out what wersion suports 32+.
pro and up is more in network and admin rights and sharing.
i have pro and fine whit it.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Windows 8.1 is a dream, you want the old Win7 layout simply use the free app classic start. Cheaper and more efficient as an OS.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
And games like BF4 run better on 8.1...it is a good OS now. If you want Win 7, home premium supports 16GB RAM but not more (just in case you ever wanted to run more....not that you need to for gaming or just about anything else for that matter).

Twin 780s...nice rig you will have there!

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
First i was skeptic about Windows 8.1, but now i really love it! I'm using Start 8 to make it look like Windows 7.
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB @ 2400MHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
SSD SYSTEM: CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB
SSD APPS: CORSAIR FORCE GT 240 GB
HDD STORAGE: WD BLACK 2TB
CORSAIR AX860I PSU
CORSAIR H100I 4 x SP120 HP

EnthusiastBuild wrote:
First i was skeptic about Windows 8.1, but now i really love it! I'm using Start 8 to make it look like Windows 7.
I agree. I prefer StartIsBack myself but any software of this nature is a must have for Win 8/8.1. i'm just waiting for a final version of 'Aero Glass for Windows 8' for 8.1 (now in beta) and my Windows experience will be compete once again 😉

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
Yep, im waiting for it too :D. It does bother me a lot that i still didn't figure out how to change the inactive window border color. I cannot set it in Start 8 nor in customization. Whats the difference between Start 8 and StartIsBack Classic_GOD? I might regret my purchase of Start 8 for 4.99$ lol.

Cheers
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
CORSAIR AX860I PSU

Sirrrus
Level 7
So the consensus is Windows 8 with an App that makes it look like 7?

B0UJI
Level 7
Yep I use ClassicShell, loads straight to desktop and gives back a start menu. Had no issues.

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
There are alot of programs to make it look like W7, such as BOUJI's Classicshell, my Start8 or Classic_GOD's StartIsBack.
You will even find plenty more of them if you search on Google!

Does anyone know how to change the color of the inactive windows? Only the active windows will show in black :/.

EDIT: Nvm, just found it out myself on google. For anyone who aswell wants to know how to change it here is the link: http://www.eightforums.com/customization/8355-desktop-change-inactive-window-colour.html

Cheers
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
CORSAIR AX860I PSU