Retired
Not applicable
Symptoms, board has red vga light lit and RC Poster says "check cpu"

Config:
Maximus III
4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000mhz C7
GTX480 tried ATI HD3450 also
Corsair HX1000

I bought this MB as an open box off newegg so it may have already had issues, came sealed from asus though??? I have tried different ram in different slots, different vga cards in different slots, removed battery, cleared CMOS. I'm out of ideas maybe doesn't like the 655K?

TIA
12 REPLIES 12

Retired
Not applicable
changed cpu?

Retired
Not applicable
Unfortunately, the 655k is the first 1156 cpu I bought, silly me.

Retired
Not applicable
try clearing CMOS, its the highest button on the I/O panel, if that doesnt work, RMA the board. Or try to boot to the CD. It has BIOS on it and can allow you restore them.

69_Goat
Level 7
I believe, you will need to flash the MB to a new bios to support that CPU.
Flashing can be done with a USB drive in the ROG connect port.
I can't find the post where I read that, but I'll keep looking.
i7-980X | EVGA 762 Classified | 6GB Dom GT 2000C7 | GTX580 SLI

i7-2600K | Asus MIVE-Z68 | 4GB Dom GT 2000C8 | GTX580 Martix

69_Goat's HWBOT Profile

Retired
Not applicable
download the latest bios from our support site. rename the file to r3f put it in the odd shaped usb port next to the rog connect button. hold it down for 3 seconds and you should see your bios light blinking and signaling the write sequence. hope that helps

Brian@ASUS wrote:
download the latest bios from our support site. rename the file to r3f put it in the odd shaped usb port next to the rog connect button. hold it down for 3 seconds and you should see your bios light blinking and signaling the write sequence. hope that helps

Hi Brian ,

i have the same problem with my MAximus Extreme ! what is the name for this Bios (renaming) ?

Regards

splmann

Retired
Not applicable
splmann, are you trying update your bios through usb flashback or board will not post?

Retired
Not applicable
Hi, I had the same issue as =[PULSAR]=. MIIIF board would not POST - had red vga light lit and RC Poster said "check cpu". I tried the BIOS update via a USB stick on the ROG Connect socket, but it did not seem to update the BIOS.

What did work for me was using the RC BIOS FlashBack utility on another PC with the ROG cable connected to the MIIIF board & the ROG switch on. This utility is found in the RC TweakIt install folder, available from the Asus web site (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=0ODEkxv4cmlXkqmr&content=download). I.E, ...\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS ROG Connect\RC BIOS FlashBack.exe. Run this & select the appropriate BIOS version for your CPU (check the CPU support list tab on this same web page)

When I ran the RC BIOS FlashBack utility it did insist all other programs to be closed otherwise it would not continue. My BIOS update took quite awhile, +- 20 minutes, but it does show a progress bar so one just has to be patient. Once I had done this my board had a successful boot 🙂

Retired
Not applicable
I am having this same problem. I cant get the board to post anything at all. I updated to the latest bios and still nothing...

Edit: I tried to watch the boot cycle with the RC and a laptop and it seems to freeze at CPU initial.