cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Hero PCI-E issue

wadood
Level 7
I have built my 2 month old system on the Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard and I have a GTX 780 graphics card. I noticed that GPU-Z shows PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x8. I even checked GPU-Z while on load which shows the same. Also, bios detects it at x8 native even though I have the latest bios.

Shouldnt the card show as x16 in the top slot closer to the CPU? Can someone tell me what is going on?

Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

HiVizMan
Level 40
You could force the VGA to gen3 in the bios. I am not sure why it would go to Gen2 on default.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

wadood
Level 7
no go. no matter what i do it's at x8. i switched from auto to gen 3 at still the same. in bios x8 native and in os x8. i also have 2 graphics card and tried with both single cards at a time and both of them x8.

is this a motherboard issue or firmware issue? i have the latest firmware.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Do you perchance have any other PCIe cards fitted to your board?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

wadood
Level 7
no other cards installed nor do i own any.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Have you set PCI-e as your primary display adapter in the bios?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK so having tested with the GPUz stress test and setting in BIOS to Gen3 your system is still not doing what it should. Could you please try swapping PCIe lanes and see if you get any movement of the settings?

wadood
Level 7
NemesisChild: yes, i have tried setting pci-e as my display adapter in bios.

HiVizMan: If I put my card in the other PCI-e slot shouldnt it work at x8 only because that's what the secondary slot supports? Currently it's in the one closest to the CPU which should support x16. I can still try that if you want me to.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No both are 16x it is only when you have two cards that the one drops off to 8x

someone else had the same problem...
http://www.simforums.com/forums/gtx780-x8-now-instead-of-x16_topic47274.html

CPU: Intel 4770K @4.6 GHz
Mainboard: Asus maximus hero VI
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1866 MHZ
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB HDD: Western Digital WD1000DHTZ Velociraptor 1TB
Case: NZXT 810 (7 Fans, Y-to motherboard)
Video: Inno3d 780 Ti SLI (2x)
PSU: Corsair AX860i platinium

... "Dare to think!" (Immanuel Kant)