New Black Edition worked for about 20 mins

BeeF_DriPPings
Level 7
2 titans
rampage iv black
900d
dominator plat
ax1200i

I put it togeather and everything worked great, one stick of ram one vid card one harddrive. no oc, no bios changes made, no raid mode. It installed windows 8.1 pro 64 bit in about 10 mins, made it to the desktop. opened internet explorer and downloaded the nvidia driver so i could see wtf i was doing and right when it got to the point where it actually installs the driver it just powered down. I turned off the psu a bit then reset the cmos and it wouldnt come on. i then tried changing the memory stick, vid card, no vid card, no memory. everything. i thought for sure my psu was screwed up so i ran the self test and it passed so i removed it and did the paperclip test with some fans and it came on. so i looked over all the wires and connections...unpluged the case fp wires and just tried the on board start button. nothing is working. When i hit the psu switch the motherboard lights up, when i hit the start button there is a light click sound and nothing happens no power. as far as my cooling goes when i had it running i was watching and it never went over 50c. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, i allways use rog boards my first one was a crosshair I and it still runs. 😞 thanks.
103 REPLIES 103

HiVizMan
Level 40
Can you tell me what is showing on the two digit LED display.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

The machine ran, it installed windows. it detected all my hardware and it all worked untill it powered down and it will not start up anymore. there is no post code because it wont even try to post anymore. thank you for your time sir, is there any other information i can provide?

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK if the board will not even get to post a q-code then my thought is PSU, now a paper clip test is not really that reliable so if possible can you try and borrow another PSU. The clicking sound is another indicator that the PSU is most likely to be the cause.

Back to the motherboard, I can assume that you have done all the standard stuff like a full clear CMOS, pressed the memory OK button and those kinds of things?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

yes sir i did everything im supposed to. i have a 700watt i can test it with. ill be back soon with info. Its good to know that it still may be my power supply. for the short time the pc ran it was killer. 😞

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please do check I will be around for a little while yet. It is Friday night and there are a couple of pubs that I do not want to disappoint by not visiting tonight.

BeeF_DriPPings
Level 7
Allright im back. I used a ocz 700 watt power supply that i know is good. this time there is not even the slight click sound when i hit the start button. the board lights up and everything but it just wont start to post. i got out a big flashlight and looked at the 24 pin socket and the cables and there is no damage. im just guessing but if i made it into windows that would be a good sign that i installed the cpu correctly, i even had 32 gigs of ram detected by windows. i waited months for this motherboard and was a ncix preorder. i doubt they will have one to replace this one. Any help or ideas would be great, im very depressed right now because i found out my friend is going to die and i dont want to believe my 7000$ pc is screwed also. thanks hivizman.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hectic about your friend dude.

So the new PSU puts some power into the motherboard, did you get any q-code on the two digit LED For fixing this situation that is key.

BeeF_DriPPings
Level 7
the board allways has some power. the lights are on but it wont start. both psus are good, all my hardware is good and the windows install means my cpu install was good. it just has to be the motheboard i believe. theres no way to get a q code because it wont try and post.

FireRx
Level 11
not necessarily, I had a 4930K that I installed windows 8, and and it did the exactly same thing. Turned out to be the CPU. First I have ever experienced in 30 years with Intel. They were very good about it and RMA'd me a new CPU overnight. Popped it in, and it booted up right up.:cool: see if you can test the CPU on another board, or test an 3930K CPU in your board to see if it will boot up.
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory