cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with OC crosshair v formula z and fx8150

Korvan
Level 8
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.9GHz/4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor with Liquid Cooling Kit
KINGWIN LZP-1000 1000W ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91, and SSI EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM
HIS IceQ Boost Clock H795QC3G2M Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full

Since day 1 of my build I seem to have issues with OC. I posted in the forums awhile back and didn't get to far.
I have since then not oc'd my system at all. I can test all hardware and tests are good. I can wipe my HDD re install everything and still get random freezing and have to force reboot or like as of late i get glitches in os. I have like in background 12 images setup to rotate and they sometimes ghost each other overlapping like both are present at same time,
Also if I run any type of registry cleaning software whole system will lock up causing force reboot
I have made sure all drivers and windows updates are up to date and begin to wonder if hardware was never good from the beginning. My ram I am not sure if fully compatible with the MOBO BUT i seen some say it is.
I really need any help I can get I had my previous build last me 7 years with not half the specs of this system and it still runs to date without any issues.
I am currently running windows 8 64 bit as well. I have Govt issued symantec endpoint protection running and no other crap on it but games and some basic software applications.
Any advice on hardware or how I might need to setup Bios. Please dont refer me to the crosshair v formula z and 8150 OC guide. I simply dont get from it enough to oc my rig. I feel there is something missing or perhaps I am too much of a noob and got lucky on my first build.
Ty again for any quick responses
160 REPLIES 160

abvolt
Level 11
Have you checked to see if there is a new bios update that will fix hardware compatibility issues.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sounds like there is something wrong some place for sure.

At stock you are having these problems. I would honestly try a fresh OS install but without the End Point. Not a fan at all.

That being said if your board is at defaults in the bios then it should just work. What changes in the bios have you made?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Korvan
Level 8
I have done fresh install about 4 months ago. No new bios is released im on latest one from asus site. I have made no changes atm. Bios is at complete default

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is not good.

Confirm that both the EPS 12v PSU connectors are fitted please, and if possible do a re-flash of the bios using a fat formatted USB stick via the bios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Korvan
Level 8
I will do these things tonight and report back ok. Currently at work lol ty for your responses any other advice is greatly appreciated

Korvan
Level 8
I am very confused guys
My mobo is what i listed above crosshair v formula z
auto detect on asus site for support says crosshair v formula
I have original box and mobo says z at end so went to this site
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Crosshair+V+Formula-Z&os=30
updated latest bios and also chipset though the chipset install takes like 15 seconds total seems to be too quick of install.
I dont know what to do now to actually see if i have it right except to wait for something to happen
Also i did check to see if if my connections were seated adn are

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please download CPUz

Then open the motherboard tab and post up an image here.

Korvan
Level 8

Here ya go

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers mate.

Certainly you have the Z board.

Now go to the ASUS support page for the CHV-z board and download the latest bios, or the bios version you want to have on your system.

Extract the bios to the root directory of a fat formatted USB stick, place the stick in a USB2 port and get into bios, use the EZflash2 utility in the tools menu of the bios and flash your board.