cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New with W8 or Refurb with W7

Bubba
Level 7
I am sending in my G55vw to be replaced. It has already been replaced once but was replaced with a refurbished unit that has had multiple issues from the start.

My options are a new replacement with Windows 8 and an upgrade to the processor from a I7-3610QM 2.3GHz to a 17-3630QM 2.4 GHz. Or a refurbished unit with the 3610QM but it has Windows 7. What would you guys do? I do not really want another refurbished unit, but on the other hand I cannot stand Windows 8. I have only used W8 a few times so it may be that I have not given it a chance but I do not want to go this route and then regret it later. Do some of these programs that make Windows 8 look and act like 7 work good? How similar to 7 do they make it? Which ones work the best?

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
Hey Bubba

I would go with W8! And download something like Start8, StartIsBack etc. to make it look like W7!

First i was skeptic about W8, but now i really like it!

Cheers
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB @ 2400MHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
SSD SYSTEM: CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB
SSD APPS: CORSAIR FORCE GT 240 GB
HDD STORAGE: WD BLACK 2TB
CORSAIR AX860I PSU
CORSAIR H100I 4 x SP120 HP

chrsplmr
Level 18
Bubba, Welcome to ROG.

For my 2 cents .. I'd go with the upgraded cpu .. I wouldn't be troubled with the way the OS 'looks' ..
how does it run would be my question and from All accounts here .. it is better.
It seems to be a matter of getting use to something new .. mask it with another layer of software it you wish.

Best of Luck. Keep us 'posted' .c.

Go wuth the faster cpu/Windows 8 one. As soon as you have it run Windows Update until none are found. Then go to the Windows Store and get the free Windows 8.1 upgrade and then let it install. Run Windows Update again until none are found. Then go to www.stardock.com and purchase Start8 for $4.99. It gives you a real start menu. Then open the Windows Store click on the top right corner of the Charms Bar and click on App Updates and then check for updates. Let it install what it finds. Now go about installing and configuring your other software. P.S. Some of the Windows Store apps from 8 won't work in 8.1.

Thanks Guys

Went with the Windows 8 system. They have agreed to give me a "new" replacement, should get it sometime this week.

billyray520
Level 10
Great news. Who is doing your replacement? The vendor or Asus?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

billyray520 wrote:
Great news. Who is doing your replacement? The vendor or Asus?

Asus

Bubba wrote:
Asus

Reps to Asus! :cool:
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Good to hear. I would recommend the Win 8, because it is faster, and better speced under the hood. As long as you can get that start menu back, you'll be good.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

A little wrinkle in the plan. I just got an email today from Asus saying that they discontinued the G55vw in July and they have no new stock. They are offering a refurbished unit in its place. The last refurbished unit they sent me had multiple problems, hence the reason for the replacment. What would you guys do?