cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Have a Look? (Vbios, Overclock) 765, 770 and 780m

abeepak1
Level 7
Hi guys, just dropping by to show you guys a link I stumbled upon earlier today.

**Link Removed for Safety Please Request If Interested**

In the following link, there are Vbioses for 765, 770 and 780m cards. There is actually on specifically for the GTX770M on the G750JX. I havent had a chance to try it out yet, since I am rather reluctant with Bios flashing due to inexperience, especially in the vBios area. Thus I'm throwing this out there in case anyone with expertise could give it a try and give us some feedbacks. Hopefully, this could solve our problems with the +135 imposed clock lock. Furthermore, with an adjustable power target, we would be able to achieve much higher overclocks than what is available in the default "locked" bios.
34 REPLIES 34

hmscott
Level 12
abeepak1 wrote:
Hi guys, just dropping by to show you guys a link I stumbled upon earlier today.
(link removed at abeepak1's requst)
In the following link, there are Vbioses for 765, 770 and 780m cards. There is actually on specifically for the GTX770M on the G750JX. I havent had a chance to try it out yet, since I am rather reluctant with Bios flashing due to inexperience, especially in the vBios area. Thus I'm throwing this out there in case anyone with expertise could give it a try and give us some feedbacks. Hopefully, this could solve our problems with the +135 imposed clock lock. Furthermore, with an adjustable power target, we would be able to achieve much higher overclocks than what is available in the default "locked" bios.

""Hey Guys, so I like found these nuclear weapons with launch codes lying about on the internet, and I thought I would share the link with you all, just in case someone else, certainly not me, wants to light one off inside his or her laptop..."" 🙂

None of those vbios listed are specific to the G750 series, likely as not flashing one will "melt down" or "brick" your GTX card.

Perhaps if someone finds a stack of spare GTX7XXm cards sitting around we can all light fuses until we find one that works?

double post*

hmscott wrote:
abeepak1, I found these nuclear weapons with launch codes lying about on the internet, and thought I would share the link with you all, just in case someone else, certainly not me, wants to light one off inside his or her laptop... just saying... 🙂

LOL scott, to be honest, the only thing stopping me from downloading them and trying it is finding the time to read how to flash a vBios (couldnt be that different from normal Bios Flashing) and getting those five posts.

I would probably get to it eventually; the adjustable power target, voltage range and uncapped clock I find very alluring.

But of course, to each their own. and if you do not know how this works, nor feel comfortable flashing a vBios, by all means DO NOT attempt it.

abeepak1 wrote:
LOL scott, to be honest, the only thing stopping me from downloading them and trying it is finding the time to read how to flash a vBios (couldnt be that different from normal Bios Flashing) and getting those five posts.

I would probably get to it eventually; the adjustable power target, voltage range and uncapped clock I find very alluring.

But of course, to each their own. and if you do not know how this works, nor feel comfortable flashing a vBios, by all means DO NOT attempt it.

abeepak1, I do know how it works, and that is why I am making light of the disaster I know will befall anyone not willing to invest the time to learn how to do it correctly.

Backing up the original vbios, making sure that the replacement vBios fits in Flash, making sure the format matches, making sure the patching checks out, and then - not being the first one to do it on a $3000 laptop 🙂

Please, noone do this until someone that knows what they are doing, and can recover from a loss easily, does it first and makes a how to guide and a cache of tested / known good vbioses for our Asus G750's that actually do something useful - just because it removes the limits doesn't mean there is enough headroom to be useful.

How about I post a picture of the last user to try this, and fail... 🙂

hmscott wrote:
abeepak1, I do know how it works, and that is why I am making light of the disaster I know will befall anyone not willing to invest the time to learn how to do it correctly.

Backing up the original vbios, making sure that the replacement vBios fits in Flash, making sure the format matches, making sure the patching checks out, and then - not being the first one to do it on a $3000 laptop 🙂

Please, noone do this until someone that knows what they are doing, and can recover from a loss easily, does it first and makes a how to guide and a cache of tested / known good vbioses for our Asus G750's that actually do something useful - just because it removes the limits doesn't mean there is enough headroom to be useful.

How about I post a picture of the last user to try this, and fail... 🙂

I may have been unclear in my choice of words for that post you quoted, thus I apologize in that regard. I was not pointing out that you "hmscott" does not know how to do it, but was pointing out to the general audience if you will, that "if you do not know how this works or have the expertise, DO NOT attempt it". So I do share your sentiments in that regard.

Though whether or not enough head room is provided or whether or not this will be remotely useful to the community is ultimately up for the user to decide.

abeepak1 wrote:
I may have been unclear in my choice of words for that post you quoted, thus I apologize in that regard. I was not pointing out that you "hmscott" does not know how to do it, but was pointing out to the general audience if you will, that "if you do not know how this works or have the expertise, DO NOT attempt it". So I do share your sentiments in that regard.

Though whether or not enough head room is provided or whether or not this will be remotely useful to the community is ultimately up for the user to decide.

It's a lot easier for the user to decide whether to try it or not when they get reports on how well it worked for someone else. Without instructions and the results of OC'ing using those instructions / vbioses it isn't information that is safe to share openly.

The people that know what they are doing are already aware of this, and the ones that don't know are very likely to get into trouble trying it - thinking it is "no more difficult than flashing a motherboard BIOS."

Having seen the results and sad faces on such disasters I thought it helpful to point out that now might not be the best time to experiement with vBioses for the G750's.. maybe next week, or tomorrow, but so far - not today 🙂

Hello all,

I have a 780m in my asus g750. Is the modded vbios worth it? How much clock increase and with what voltage increase? Temperatures? Please post your results. Thank you.

abeepak1
Level 7
Note: To download, you need to have 5 posts, thus anyone with a Tech Inferno member status please let us know.

abeepak1 wrote:
Note: To download, you need to have 5 posts, thus anyone with a Tech Inferno member status please let us know.

abeepak1, we will wait while you make 5 posts and are eligable to download them yourself, then we will wait for your report, and instructions on how to upgrade our vBios's successfully, safely too if you can arrange that 🙂

Don't forget to get photo's of the lovely mushroom cloud that forms above your laptop(s) during the first few failures... under the right lighting I hear it is quite beautiful.

Perhaps a photo of the look on your face when you realize you bricked your laptop too, and just for reference take one now with that innocent look of excitement at the potential improvement in performance promised by the effort.

You might want to practice that innocent look so you can recreate it for Asus when you try to get your video card repaired. 🙂