cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arne's Linux adventure

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
So, have Ubuntu "up and running" on my RIG...like the look so far.

However! If I run stock all is great...as soon as I try to OC in the BIOS it hangs....can you OC with Linux?

Also I am trying to install Nvidia Linux driver for my Titans and this hangs too even at stock!

This OS is great right?

EDIT: I'll put stuff up in this first post that I learn as useful to a Linux Noob...just in case someone else...

Set system to F5 defaults (should really do this for any OS install for max stability)

Disable secure boot in BIOS

Swapping between windows and Linux?... keep an eye on your system time!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40046-Linux-time-question
42 REPLIES 42

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm OK so this mornings adventures in Ubuntu ended in secure erase. This afternoon I have set F5 defaults in BIOS and installed Fedora....went OK but you cannot do a UEFI install of Linux...is that right? At least I cant just booted live Linux USB (non Uefi enty in BIOS) and Install went fine.

Now though the install has updated itself and the Linux that loads on reboot is Fedora with Schrodingers cat??!! has it changed the distro itself is there a dead/alive cat in the system....

Can I OC now? :confused::rolleyes::D

EDIT:

OK so more of the same with the Nvidia driver. I download it and try to run it and it takes 5 minutes while it thinks about it and then hangs and become non responsive. Is that the default Linux experience.

First impressions within the OS are OK but it is a bit of a pain...and not a joyful OOBE

Do I have to read the encyclopaedia of Linux before I can click on anything?

Nodens
Level 16
Heh hold on.

1) UEFI install of Fedora is of course possible (http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Guide/ch-Boot-x86.html). EFI has been supported on linux prior than Windows due to server market using it when Intel first introduced it:)

2) Regarding the OOBE. Fedora by default installation installs the nouveau driver for nvidia. This is perfectly functional as OOBE but is very slow on 3D. They default to this driver because it's open source. So this is how you install the native nvidia driver on Fefora:

1) First add the RPMFusion repository http://rpmfusion.org/ (You want this anyhow as it will offer you stuff that can not be bundled on the Fedora repositories due to license restrictions..such as certain video/audio codecs. Once you enable the repository it is searched automatically for stuff when you try to install something).

2) http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia#x86_64_.2864bit.29_users

Note install akmod-nvidia not the kmod that's in the "or" parenthesis. The difference is that with every kernel update akmod will made sure the driver is proper. With kmod, you need to manually install a new kmod when you update the kernel.

And you'll find that Fedora docs has answers to almost every question 😛

EDIT: And yes of course you can OC under Linux. But due to the faster kernel/kernel architecture you may find it's a little more sensitive to instability that Windows. You will find that Linux will freeze on boot on cases where Windows would actually boot and crash later.

EDIT2: By installing hte nvidia driver this way you never have to bother about updates to it again as well, as when Fedora will tell you there are updated packages to install it will include these as well (much like Windows Update but with the driver actually being proper and properly installed unlike installing Nvidia from WU :p)

EDIT3: (Scrap this it's only needed for F18-)I almost forgot. After installing the akmod as in the guide, you have to also do this in a terminal prior to rebooting:

su, enter (put root password) mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

This will backup and disable the nouveau driver in iniramfs (a ramdrive used to boot the kernel/drivers faster). After this you can forget about it.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Just checked and yes I guess I do it is on Windows UEFI and there is an option "othe" below that....is that what is mucking it up?

Nodens wrote:
And you'll find that Fedora docs has answers to almost every question 😛

Yes, that is the encyclopedia I didn't want to read but no pain no Linux I see....

I wish some bright spark would make a game/OC friendly version ....like with all this stuff done...would go down better with the masses and with the impatient like myself...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm I don't know...with Ubuntu and Fedora I tried selecting "UEFI sony removable disk" and none of the times it booted or installed....fedora gave me an error "problem loading in kernel x.509" and "couldn't get size 0x8000000e" or something like that

If I select non UEFI sony removable it loads etc.

Thanks for the tips and help though Nodens...I really want to get some of those grungy alternative chicks so I'll stick with it....

Yeah put it on the Other OS option. And as you can see the issue has nothing to do with Fedora but with Microsoft's antics over Secure Boot heh. Just turn the damn thing off. It's been proven that it offers no real protection anyway. It justs creates issues like these.

Now regarding the encyclopedia. Well I'm pretty sure you had to look stuff up for Windows as well every now and then and probably still do 😛 I find the fact that there is an official "encyclopedia" in the first place refreshing compared to the alternative of googling all over the place for a guide on a forum or a blog offering a solution on how to do x and y;) Don't forget you're touching the thing for the first time. Name a piece of software that you didn't have to look something up when you used it for the first time (including Windows heh):p

EDIT: Oh and as for things like having the Nvidia driver installed as default are not possible due to legal issues. Certain stuff have very restrictive licenses. Fedora like most distros has a license that allows you to do whatever you want with it with almost no restrictions whatsoever (you could even burn a copy and sell if if you could find someone to buy it). That's where the conflict happens.
But that's also why things like RPMFusion exist so you can bypass such restrictions and do stuff in a user friendly way.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Name a piece of software that you didn't have to look something up when you used it for the first time

Umm Angry Birds?:D

But yeah it's true, first time up so of course it's not going to be plain sailing...maybe my stumblings in Linux can be of use to others who want to try it...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Umm Angry Birds?:D

ROFL!

But yeah it's true, first time up so of course it's not going to be plain sailing...maybe my stumblings in Linux can be of use to others who want to try it...

You know this is exactly the open source/free software mentality. Users contributing to every possible next user.:)

RealBench Developer.

Nodens
Level 16
Do you have Secure Boot on?

EDIT: Fefora in itself supports Secure Boot but two issues may arise. None of them is Fedora's control at the moment but rather Microsoft's:

1:

Third-party UEFI boot loaders (such as the Fedora boot loader) are not guaranteed to work on Microsoft Secure Boot systems because the necessary certificates are not part of the Windows 8 Hardware Certification Requirements. If your hardware is in this category, you need to switch off UEFI Secure Boot, enroll the missing Microsoft certificate, or enroll the Fedora certificate.

2:

Currently, the Fedora shim was signed in a way that gives it an expiration date of October 2013, prior to the Fedora 18 end-of-life. We are not aware of any hardware that honors this expiration date, but it's not out of the question. This is the date Microsoft gave the signature, Fedora has no control over it. We are investigating this issue and expect to resolve it in the future.

The error you're getting points to the issue 2.

RealBench Developer.

nikosa43
Level 12
I admire you Arne :). This would be an adventure for real. If you have the time to spend, you will learn a lot of things. This OS needs your attention and tweaking all the time. I was willing to try also, but unfortunately, I have no time now, to go back to command line and -$ 😄