cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Cooling

JimmyH
Level 10
Currently I run my PC at 4.7 no probs with no crashes whatsoever, even if I stress test the max out of it. Now I want to push further, but the temps jump above 90 c.

My questions are?

Should I custom water cool or should the H100i suffice, or should I delid the CPU?
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm....de-lidding obviously carries a large health warning and is not to be taken lightly...only do it if you can afford to throw the CPU in the bin. If you are fine with that possibility, it has reduced temps for people by a large amount...folk who know what they are doing.

Custom cooling, if you set up a loop with a decent amount of RAD space, will allow you more headroom since it will saturate a lot later than the H100i and allow you to reduce the delta between ambient and your loop temp so maybe you would squeeze a bit more out but this is not guarantee either....maybe your chip would have to jump voltage so much to get to 4.8 (or simply not be able to do it) that the whole exercise and cost would not pay off. 4.7 is a nice OC after all.

Depends a bit on finances if you like. With what you have now and minimal expenditure a perfect delid would net you lower temps...if it goes wrong you need the cost of a new CPU. Watercooling with a custom loop will probably cost more than another 3770K but then you would have the loop for the next CPU too....and the fun of building even if you don't get more out of the CPU...

Being happy with 4.7 on the H100i costs nothing 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Depends a bit on finances if you like. With what you have now and minimal expenditure a perfect delid would net you lower temps...if it goes wrong you need the cost of a new CPU. Watercooling with a custom loop will probably cost more than another 3770K but then you would have the loop for the next CPU too....and the fun of building even if you don't get more out of the CPU...

Being happy with 4.7 on the H100i costs nothing 🙂

Thanks mate a heap. Lets say my finances are fine, what brand names should I consider in buying the parts for a custom loop? I have a spare HAF-X case now and almost enough parts to build another PC.

Also, I had to go to 1.37 V Core to get to 4.8 and my PC did not like it. It booted fine but I tried CINEBENCH and it booted me.

I have my RAM OC'd from 1333MHz to 1866MHz maybe if I reduce that I can get there.

Poco_OM
Level 10
Sorry to ask a question on the OP's thread, but is 90c not to high for an Intel?

Personally that would be to high for comfort for me, but maybe it is a common temp for this CPU.

Being in Australia I expect your ambient is rather a lot higher than me here in the rainy UK, for that reason alone I would get a custom loop if I was you and could afford to. I would also remove the IHS with a razor blade and a Stanly blade and put a proper TIM in there. Thing is I am not you, and as Arne has pointed out there is dangers with carrying out such a process that may leave irreversible damage.

Poco OM wrote:
Sorry to ask a question on the OP's thread, but is 90c not to high for an Intel?

Personally that would be to high for comfort for me, but maybe it is a common temp for this CPU.

Being in Australia I expect your ambient is rather a lot higher than me here in the rainy UK, for that reason alone I would get a custom loop if I was you and could afford to. I would also remove the IHS with a razor blade and a Stanly blade and put a proper TIM in there. Thing is I am not you, and as Arne has pointed out there is dangers with carrying out such a process that may leave irreversible damage.

Mate, you could say I am only relatively new to OC'ing and don't understand all the acronyms. Could you explain 'IHS' and 'TIM', I gather you are talking about 'Delidding'. I have also heard that it lowers the processor height on the mobo, will the H100i still fit??

Yes, what's worse is that I am in Australia and the normal temp at the moment is about 30 deg with 65% humidity, so when I am in my mancave I have my aircon set to 25.

Poco OM wrote:

Mate, you could say I am only relatively new to OC'ing and don't understand all the acronyms. Could you explain 'IHS' and 'TIM', I gather you are talking about 'Delidding'. I have also heard that it lowers the processor height on the mobo, will the H100i still fit??

Yes, what's worse is that I am in Australia and the normal temp at the moment is about 30 deg with 65% humidity, so when I am in my mancave I have my aircon set to 25.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Think I am going to say be satisfied with what you have. If you want to take the chance go for it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

twisted1
Level 12
Except for the obvious risks involved in delidding it's great, I've delidded two 3770K's and temps is no longer a problem. One of them is cooled by a H100i and I can feed it with 1,6V without hitting 90C.

Before delidding it would hit 90C @1,3V.

A custom loop will probably not help that much since the main problem is the heat transfer between chip and IHS. It will make a difference though. My other 3770K is on a custom loop and it hardly goes above 50C even at +5Ghz and 1,6V.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
IHS is integrated heat spreader...i.e. the metal top of the CPU.
TIM is thermal interface material...a grand name for thermal paste;-)

For watercooling I have had great experience with stuff from EK waterblocks....you could do worse than check them out if you want to build your own loop. Deliding will remove IHS so will reduce CPU height....but I believe EK do an adaptor (http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html ). Or people remove IHS and replace it having changed the internal TIM...getting better temps .....

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
IHS is integrated heat spreader...i.e. the metal top of the CPU.
TIM is thermal interface material...a grand name for thermal paste;-)

For watercooling I have had great experience with stuff from EK waterblocks....you could do worse than check them out if you want to build your own loop. Deliding will remove IHS so will reduce CPU height....but I believe EK do an adaptor (http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html ). Or people remove IHS and replace it having changed the internal TIM...getting better temps .....

Thanks a million mate. I suppose I could of Googled it. Maybe if I start using big names people will think I know what I am doing. 😉