cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which PCIe x1 slot for audio interface?

ThomasB
Level 7
Hello,

I own an Asus Sabertooth Z77, and want to add a MOTU audio interface. This interface consists of a PCI Express x1 card (MOTU PCIe-424), and an external rack for connections and analog-digital/digital-analog conversion (MOTU 24I/O).
Currently I have no PCI Express card installed, not even a video card (I'm using the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000), but it is not impossible that I will add a video card in future.

My question is: does it make any difference, regarding the stability of audio streaming/processing, inside which PCIe x1 slot I mount the PCIe-424 card?

I would like to avoid "clicks" and "pops" (and any other malfunctioning), but perhaps these problems did occur only with old PCI (non-Express) cards?

If I understood correctly the different PCI Express devices, including USB ports, SATA ports, etc., share some IRQs.
Is it possible that when a device shares an IRQ with the PCI Express x1 slot, and that device requires a lot of resources, then the performance of the PCI Express card could decrease?
But probably the modern motherboards including the Asus Sabertooth Z77, are designed to avoid this...

Anyway again my main question: does it make any difference which PCI Express x1 slot I choose for the MOTU audio interface?

EDIT: I'm talking about PCI Express x1 version 2.0 slots.
EDIT2: I'm not sure if the PCIe-424 card is designed as PCI Express x1 v1.0, or v2.0.

Thanks
0 REPLIES 0