cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Memory type help

GabrielKnight
Level 7
Hi, I am buying a new pc with the following:

Budget: so far up to AU $5,000.00 with $570 on RAM but I can spend another extra $400
Main uses of intended build: Rendering, 3D modelling and gaming
Parts required: RAM
Previous build information (list details of parts): no previous parts this is an all new pc
Monitor resolution: 2560 x 1600
Storage requirements:
Will you be overclocking: I don't know I need help here
Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): none, everything is good
Extra information about desired system: I am buying for this new build:
Corsair AX 1200i 80 plus platinum 1200W PSU
i7 4930K @ 3.4GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition Motherboard
500GB SSD Samsung
Gigabyte GTX Titan Stock OC Edition
Corsair 750D PC Case
Corsair H110 CPU Water Cooling
Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I need help to buy fast and stable non-overclocked Ram I don't know if I should get DDR3 2400/2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 as I have read through the "Asus extreme ram guide" and also the link for IB-E and im not sure what will be best for speed and stability, I will be rendering and 3D modelling and also gaming while overclocking might happen but only if safe and is worth while for rendering. I have ordered the ram already but I have time to change it while the motherboard is ordered I chose G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400 RipjawsZ Quad channel CL 10-12-12-31-2N 1.65v 4x8GB Ram at $449 (after my original choice of 1866 at $569) but in the guide it recommended something like 1600 but this seems very slow I was hoping for somewhere in the 2400 ball park. What speed amount would be best? Should I go for 32GB or 64GB for rendering as I might have to use ram water cooling if I use all 8 dim slots - this is mentioned in the motherboard manual. Should I overclock the cpu or leave everything stock?

In the motherboard manual I downloaded it says any memory frequencies higher than 2133MHz and their corresponding timing or the loaded XMP profile is not the JEDEC memory standard, the stability and compatibility of the memory modules depend on the CPU's capabilities and other installed devices. - Is 2133MHz safe and stable at stock? I can spend about another $400 for more ram if needed so a total of $950 for ram all up.

Thanks all, GK.
31 REPLIES 31

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Gabriel 🙂

The RIVBE supports 1866Mhz RAM if you use a single kit on one set of slots (4 slots) and if you populate all slots 1600MHz. So if you choose anything over those frequencies you are overclocking. 2400 is a high overclock and difficult for all slots filled for 32 or 64 GB. and as you are warned depends on the silicon lottery...i.e. your particular CPU's IMC.

If stability is crucial to your work I would stick to one single kit of whatever size you need, stick to the supported speeds and run the CPU at stock (or at best a mild OC).

Chino
Level 15
GabrielKnight wrote:

I need help to buy fast and stable non-overclocked Ram I don't know if I should get DDR3 2400/2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 as I have read through the "Asus extreme ram guide" and also the link for IB-E and im not sure what will be best for speed and stability, I will be rendering and 3D modelling and also gaming while overclocking might happen but only if safe and is worth while for rendering. I have ordered the ram already but I have time to change it while the motherboard is ordered I chose G.Skill 32GB DDR3 2400 RipjawsZ Quad channel CL 10-12-12-31-2N 1.65v 4x8GB Ram at $449 (after my original choice of 1866 at $569) but in the guide it recommended something like 1600 but this seems very slow I was hoping for somewhere in the 2400 ball park. What speed amount would be best? Should I go for 32GB or 64GB for rendering as I might have to use ram water cooling if I use all 8 dim slots - this is mentioned in the motherboard manual. Should I overclock the cpu or leave everything stock?

In the motherboard manual I downloaded it says any memory frequencies higher than 2133MHz and their corresponding timing or the loaded XMP profile is not the JEDEC memory standard, the stability and compatibility of the memory modules depend on the CPU's capabilities and other installed devices. - Is 2133MHz safe and stable at stock? I can spend about another $400 for more ram if needed so a total of $950 for ram all up.

Thanks all, GK.

The RipjawsZ memory kits are specifically designed for the X79 platform. So it's one product line that I can endorse whole-heartedly and recommend to users who own Socket 2011 motherboards.

The sweet spot for RAM is at 2133MHz. And from what I have seen most of the SB-E & Ivy-E processors can do 2133MHz without a sweat. If you're the adventure looking type, go for the 2400MHz kit and try them with your CPU. If your IMC can't take it, you can always drop them down a notch to 2133MHz. Or if you really want to take care of your budget, then go with the 2133MHz kit.

32GB should be enough for all your rending and 3D work. But it all depends on the size and complexity of your projects or the scene you're rendering. And having more RAM available helps you with multitasking in case you open various heavy programs at once for example something like 3ds Max and Photoshop, etc...

Thanks Chino and Arne S. I have decided to max out the memory with a 64GB kit with 1600 as like what Arne S. said to do but from what Chino said about RipjawsZ being made for RIVBE should I get Ripjaws or is Kingston HyperX Genesis CL9 1.5v 1600 64GB just as good or better with the low CL 9 and voltage? Here are two that I like:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/43927-f3-12800cl10q2-64gbzl

and

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/48575-khx16c9k8/64x

the only reason why I would not choose the Kingston is that the metal heat shield does not look as effective as the G.Skill Ripjaws.

Or is there something better for 64GB of ram than 1600? Thanks, GK.

GabrielKnight wrote:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/43927-f3-12800cl10q2-64gbzl

Same G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL 64GB (8x8GB) DDR3 kit but 20 AUD cheaper.

GabrielKnight wrote:

Or is there something better for 64GB of ram than 1600? Thanks, GK.

Yeah but they are not in stock at any Australian retailer at the moment.

Chino wrote:
Same G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL 64GB (8x8GB) DDR3 kit but 20 AUD cheaper.

Yeah but they are not in stock at any Australian retailer at the moment.

Look at you, giving links for Aussie E-tailer sites...haha guess you saved it for future help after you saw my wishlist there 😛

Zeruel
Level 7
Get 2400Mhz Ram! BF4 performance boost and other boosts as well. I think Vengeance Pro Blacks good with the black edition board!
Cruel Angel
------------------------------

CPU: i7 4770k 4.7Ghz 1.425v
MB: Maximus VI Formula
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2400Mhz OC) 16GB
GPU: Reference GTX 560Ti ( GTX 880 Coming Soon!)
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
Mouse: MLG Sensei
KeyBoard: Corsair K70 RED
Monitor: BENQ XL2420T

Custom Water Cooling

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
G'day fellow Aussie!! :cool: you're in sound hands here, but I will say one thing. If you're set on getting 64GB, do yourself a favor and use the included ROG RAMDisk that comes with the board and use the RAMDisk to hold your rendering software, load times will be insane as should be rendering times 😉 i've got a build I wanna do myself with some of the same hardware, but 32GB G.Skill RipjawsZ and a 250GB Evo and diff VGA, case and PSU.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
G'day fellow Aussie!! :cool: you're in sound hands here, but I will say one thing. If you're set on getting 64GB, do yourself a favor and use the included ROG RAMDisk that comes with the board and use the RAMDisk to hold your rendering software, load times will be insane as should be rendering times 😉 i've got a build I wanna do myself with some of the same hardware, but 32GB G.Skill RipjawsZ and a 250GB Evo and diff VGA, case and PSU.

G'day Myk thanks for the ROG RAMDisk ability info im definitely going to use this now that I know about this from your reply but in the manual if I remember this right said it will be a little slower to run (open) the rendering progie in ram but will speed up rendering!?!?!, hows your build going im only able to get my new rig not because of spending something nice for myself for this Christmas but because I took out a loan with my bank and now im paying it off for the next 3 years. I asked santa for it realy nicely but he said that cookies and milk all these years was not a good trade off for this pc so Im going to offer him my mum who is about his age - somewhere around the... wait doesn't jesus Christ have something to do with Christmas :confused: I don't think she is that old but since santa only gets to come once a year I should have him hook, line and sinker heh heh heh!! I will update if santa agrees.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:

G'day Myk thanks for the ROG RAMDisk ability info im definitely going to use this now that I know about it from your reply but in the manual if I remember this right said it will be a little slower to run (open) the rendering progie in ram but will speed up rendering!?!?!, hows your build going im only able to get my new rig not because of spending something nice for myself for this Christmas but because I took out a loan with my bank and now im paying it off for the next 3 years. I asked santa for it realy nicely but he said that cookies and milk all these years was not a good trade off for this pc so Im going to offer him my mum who is about his age - somewhere around the... wait doesn't jesus Christ have something to do with Christmas :confused: I don't think she is that old but since santa only gets to come once a year I should have him hook, line and sinker heh heh heh!! I will update if santa agrees.