cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone replace their AUO matte screen ?

chokko
Level 7
Hello,
I have the AUO matte screen, and it looks awful . The biggest problem is the obvious vertical lines at normal sitting distance.

The replacement screens on screencountry.com are LG apparently, though googling the compatibility part number, the LG seems to not be particularly popular either.

So my question is: Has anyone upgraded their AUO to something they are happy with ?

Loved my g73 screen (yes that was glossy), and i am not under any illusion that i can find something as gorgeous as the ux31a IPS screen (glossy but low reflection?). But the AUO matte looks like it belongs on a $200 netbook you'd buy your grandmother to check email once a month.
44 REPLIES 44

Nehmia
Level 9
be very careful, when I took my G75VW to the ASUS Service center to replace that crappy matte screen which looked so pale and dull in colors, they replaced it, then they ended up burning the motherboard when they tried to turn it on. so they gave me this G750JX for free
ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
Security: Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus for PC Gamers

why were Asus going to replace the matte screen on the G75 in the first place?
was it broken ?
because you didn't like the pale/dull screen (and you were paying them to do it) ?

chokko wrote:
why were Asus going to replace the matte screen on the G75 in the first place?
was it broken ?
because you didn't like the pale/dull screen (and you were paying them to do it) ?

I called them and I said I wasn't pleased with the screen if they can do me a favor and swap it with the 3D one because it is very hard to read and when viewing a white background it appears like there are small specs of rainbow dots everywhere. So they asked me if my laptop was under warranty, I said yes I am still in the 1 year warranty period, then they said ok they will replace it for free with the 3D one 🙂 since they fried my motherboard and had no more replacement motherboards, they gave me a brand new G750JX because the G75VW was out of stock already
ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U
Security: Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus for PC Gamers

villiansv
Level 11
Unless you have a 3D model, which uses different connectors, a standard LCD panel (e.g. one from a Clevo laptop) would fit the Asus with no issues. It's no different than changing the LCD on any other laptop. It probably voids the warranty though, so keep that in mind.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
chokko wrote:
Hello,
I have the AUO matte screen, and it looks awful . The biggest problem is the obvious vertical lines at normal sitting distance.

The replacement screens on screencountry.com are LG apparently, though googling the compatibility part number, the LG seems to not be particularly popular either.

So my question is: Has anyone upgraded their AUO to something they are happy with ?

Loved my g73 screen (yes that was glossy), and i am not under any illusion that i can find something as gorgeous as the ux31a IPS screen (glossy but low reflection?). But the AUO matte looks like it belongs on a $200 netbook you'd buy your grandmother to check email once a month.

Vertical lines? That sounds like a defective display or display adapter, not poor image quality. We've replaced the stock screen with AUO glossy finish, 90% NTSC and they look fantastic. 🙂

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

SHADO
Level 9
chokko wrote:
Hello,

I replaced the Chi Mei matte screen on my G75VW with a glossy screen from screen country. It is a big improvement, but not quite as much as I was hoping for. You mentioned LG screens at screen country, but my replacement was an AUO. Not sure if they actually sell LG screens specifically, or just "LG compatible" ones. Do you have any definitive information on that?
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)

well I told them the exact model AUO I have, told them I don't want an AUO replacement (in case I ordered another matte) and they said the glossy and matte with compatibility code LP173WF1(TL)(A2), are LG brand screens.

sounds like I should just order glossy to be safe...if your AUO glossy is ok

chokko wrote:
well I told them the exact model AUO I have, told them I don't want an AUO replacement (in case I ordered another matte) and they said the glossy and matte with compatibility code LP173WF1(TL)(A2), are LG brand screens.

sounds like I should just order glossy to be safe...if your AUO glossy is ok

Ah, okay. I didn't actually speak to them (probably should have), just ordered online. Yeah, my glossy AUO is pretty good. I'd definitely go with the glossy LG, unless reflections will be a major issue. The colors just seem to "pop" much more than on the matte screens. They look dull/washed out on the matte screens.
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)

Pierre990429
Level 7
Hello, I too have a G750JH with matte AUO screen, and the vertical lines issue is well known.

Does someone here know how to change the screen (I've already bought a LG LP173WF1) : how can I open the bezel safely, after having removed the 4 screws at the corners ? It looks a bit difficult without scratching or breaking the plastic !!!

Anyone ? Any help or experience would be much appreciated.