cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help deciding motherboard on new build Micro atx or Mini ITX

nysaga
Level 7
I'll be building a desktop for the first time in over a decade. Been using a laptop but now i want to get back into Pc gaming.
I'm having trouble deciding on either Micro atx or Mini ATX. I'm only interested in single GPU gaming (have a two year old Gtx 560ti given to me will upgrade to Gtx800 series when released).

I'm looking at either Maximus Impact or Z87I Deluxe. Iniitally i wanted the Impact but now I'm not so sure because of supposed sound issues and sound is important to me. The Maximus Gene intrigued me too but built in Wifi is important to me and that's missing. All this will be enclosed in Bitfenix Prodigy but i can't order case until I know motherboard type.

Parts already ordered/owned: I74770k, Samsung 840 Evo 256gb, Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb, Galaxy Gtx 560Ti, Seasonic X650, Windows 8.1, Asus Dvd drive

Need CPU cooler recommendation too and whatever else is missing
5 REPLIES 5

abvolt
Level 11
I'm thinking of building a mini-ITX rig with asus maximus impact board. I've only seen a few posts saying they have sound problems means little to me it's an rog board that says it all. Have you looked at the Cooler Master Elite 130 it supports standard psu's & water cooling plus room for a R9 290x vga what more could one want in such a small package.
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

Zeruel
Level 7
nysaga wrote:
I'll be building a desktop for the first time in over a decade. Been using a laptop but now i want to get back into Pc gaming.
I'm having trouble deciding on either Micro atx or Mini ATX. I'm only interested in single GPU gaming (have a two year old Gtx 560ti given to me will upgrade to Gtx800 series when released).

I'm looking at either Maximus Impact or Z87I Deluxe. Iniitally i wanted the Impact but now I'm not so sure because of supposed sound issues and sound is important to me. The Maximus Gene intrigued me too but built in Wifi is important to me and that's missing. All this will be enclosed in Bitfenix Prodigy but i can't order case until I know motherboard type.

Parts already ordered/owned: I74770k, Samsung 840 Evo 256gb, Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb, Galaxy Gtx 560Ti, Seasonic X650, Windows 8.1, Asus Dvd drive

Need CPU cooler recommendation too and whatever else is missing

I say go Mini itx, they are fun builds!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ZerueLX11/saved/2zgc

here is an all rog build I did for mini-itx not long ago
Cruel Angel
------------------------------

CPU: i7 4770k 4.7Ghz 1.425v
MB: Maximus VI Formula
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2400Mhz OC) 16GB
GPU: Reference GTX 560Ti ( GTX 880 Coming Soon!)
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
Mouse: MLG Sensei
KeyBoard: Corsair K70 RED
Monitor: BENQ XL2420T

Custom Water Cooling

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
I would go for the Impact.

For CPU cooler I would go for a H100i from Corsair!

If your final decision is not made yet about the case, i would recommend having a look at: http://www.parvumsystems.com/category/cases.

They got a build log here on the forum aswell, and are active on the board: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37554-Parvum-Systems-Project-Magnus&country=&status=

Cheers!
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB @ 2400MHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
SSD SYSTEM: CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB
SSD APPS: CORSAIR FORCE GT 240 GB
HDD STORAGE: WD BLACK 2TB
CORSAIR AX860I PSU
CORSAIR H100I 4 x SP120 HP

97woody51
Level 7
if its a new haswell board go with the rog maximus or the z87i deluxe the one with the daughter board, for all the power stuff. these allow for so much more overclocking, plenty of sata, plenty of fans for a itx, and just all around awesome.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Unlike a notebook a PC wifi is not all that good regardless of which board you buy. The reason is the case and where the wifi is located, basically the case sheilds the signal and most of the time we have our case rear pointed at a wall.

Just something to think about.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.