cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Maximus Hero Build, External Sound Card NOT WORKING...need help

Zoolanda
Level 7
hey all!

a couple of days ago i finished my new build i am a music producer and casual gamer, my components include;

CPU : Intel i7 4770K
MOBO : Asus Maximus Hero
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16gig (8x2) 1833
VGA : Asus GTX 480 (Getting GTX 780ti soon)
HDD : 1, Samsung 820 Pro 256GIG. 2, Seagate 320GIG. 3, Western Digital 2TB
SOUND : MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid
PSU : Zalman 750W Heat Pipe Cooler
COOLING : Corsair H100i
CASE : HAF 932
Windows 7 Ultimate

now with that out of the way here is my dilemma...

my MOTU soundcard worked perfectly on my last computer and i have double checked it with my Macbook Pro today and the sound card works perfectly being connected via USB...

i have updated all the drivers and firmware and even rolled back the drivers of both the soundcard and the MOBO but it still doesnt work, now this is what happens...

as i turn the computer and the sound card on the computer picks up the soundcard as well as my Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) i use Fruity Loops 9 XXL Producer edition. When i play a sound in either iTunes or my DAW it will play for less than half a second and then send out a high pitch tone through my monitor speakers, the original sound (song or sample) will cease to play at all. As my soundcard has a digital display the "IN" signal spikes and holds its level as long as it stays on. My understanding is there is a problem with the signal going from the MOBO to the MOTU, i have tried changing the USB cables and changed the USB ports i put the MOTU into regardless of USB 2 or 3 or front USB ports but have the same result. I have deactivated the other sound drivers on the computer through computer management to just isolate the MOTU but i have the same result. i have tried many things but i and just dumbfounded.

i also used my Logitech G35 into the USB ports and it works FINE, no crackles or high pitched tones...

im sorry for the essay but i thought giving as much info as possible could help troubleshoot.

very thankful for your replies
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
Is it possible for you to swap out your PSU and try another. I am worried that there may be transient on the 3.3 rail.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

not really, i could borrow one off a friend though, how could the 3.3v effect it the sound card? thanks for the reply 🙂

Raja
Level 13
Are you using the DC power supply that came with the MOTU Hybrid?

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Are you using the DC power supply that came with the MOTU Hybrid?

hi Raja, Yes i am using the DC power that came with the MOTU unit...could there be something going on in the BIOS to do with USB features that could be causing this?

Raja
Level 13
Off the top of my head, difficult to say.

Possibilities:

1) Driver related issue with Z87 chipset.

2) Power problem on MOTU side with DC supply leaking back into board. Lots of devices out there that breach USB spec by having DC present on their USB input port. How this affects a motherboard depends on how the 5V rail is utilized by the motherboard vendor. USB spec stipulates that no DC should be present on the USB input port on any externally connected device, so if there were it would be down to the device vendor to fix.

3) Some other UEFI issue.

For the UEFI part, you can try disabling things like speedstep and C-states and see if that has any impact at all.

Complete stabs in the dark (should make no diff, but who knows) is to enable USB full initial in the BOOT menu of UEFI also (might increase your POST time, though). You can also try enabling all power on by features in the APM menu and see if that makes any difference at all.

You would also be wise to open a support ticket with the MOTU crew, as they may need to patch this from their side.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Off the top of my head, difficult to say.

Possibilities:

1) Driver related issue with Z87 chipset.

2) Power problem on MOTU side with DC supply leaking back into board. Lots of devices out there that breach USB spec by having DC present on their USB input port. How this affects a motherboard depends on how the 5V rail is utilized by the motherboard vendor. USB spec stipulates that no DC should be present on the USB input port on any externally connected device, so if there were it would be down to the device vendor to fix.

3) Some other UEFI issue.

For the UEFI part, you can try disabling things like speedstep and C-states and see if that has any impact at all.

Complete stabs in the dark (should make no diff, but who knows) is to enable USB full initial in the BOOT menu of UEFI also (might increase your POST time, though). You can also try enabling all power on by features in the APM menu and see if that makes any difference at all.

You would also be wise to open a support ticket with the MOTU crew, as they may need to patch this from their side.

thank you very much for your feedback Raja!

i am currently downloading all the drivers from the Asus site and will install them and hopefully that fixes them as one of the chipset updates stated "Enhance compatibility with some USB device" with the 0903 update.

ill also start a new thread with MOTU and find out what u can from them...

i will also try disabling speedstep and C-states and enable full USB

thanks again mate

Raja
Level 13
No worries. I'd try all the things listed in this thread, and take it from there. I think you might be in for a lengthy ride with this one if I am honest.

yer tried all the things listed, still no luck...another problem i noticed is that when booting windows the windows logo loads for a couple of seconds then i get the BSOD...it reboots and loads windows fine...i might do a re install. something has gone wrong from the start

Zoolanda wrote:
yer tried all the things listed, still no luck...another problem i noticed is that when booting windows the windows logo loads for a couple of seconds then i get the BSOD...it reboots and loads windows fine...i might do a re install. something has gone wrong from the start

Drop the DRAM frequency to 1333 (after loading XMP) and see what happens.