cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Gene Problem - Not booting to BIOS.

Leo_Da
Level 7
I know this is wall of text, but I'd really appreciate the help!

Ok, so I built my computer (specs to follow), and it ran well for a couple of weeks. I installed Luna OS, and had a partition ready to install WIndows 7. After doing so I wanted to get back to my Linux distro only to discover I hadn't prepared the bootloader properly - to save some time; I had to wipe my whole SSD and prepared to install WIndows 7.

Unfortunately, when I came to booting my computer, it did no boot to BIOS (At least, it won't show up/activate my screen). I've had a look at the mobo and the QCode is "A2" and the "BOOT_DEVICE_LED" is lit up. I've tried everything from clearing CMOS, updating BIOS, removing battery from mobo...everything short of pulling the whole system apart and reseating everything (which I don't have too much time for at the moment.)

Any suggestions or if someone is willing to walk me through some steps, that would be great!

Thankyou!

Computer Specs:
Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene
CPU - Intel i7-4770K
GPU - Gigabyte GTX770 4GB OC
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2*4
SSD - Corsair Neutron GTX 240G
HDD - WD Green 2TB
PSU - Corsair GS600-V2
Case - BitFenix Prodigy M
Stock fans/cpu cooler

Happy to give any more info when needed.
7 REPLIES 7

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Try switching off the PSU and pulling the plug for a good couple of hours and see how you go.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Pull the other SATA devices from your system.

Now with only the SSD fitted let your system post up. F8 to select your boot device. Install OS with a USB stick. Microsoft USB tool for Windows and which ever loader you are comfortable with if Linux.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hey guys, thanks for the response.

I've had it unplugged all day today while I was at work, same problem.

As for only connecting SSD, same thing happened, so couldn't even select which boot device to go to, I even switched out cables just in case.

A friend of mine came over and said its possibly a graphics driver issue in the BIOS or something similar. He (very thoughtfully) took it home to have a play with it as he has spare time to look at it (and has much deeper knowledge than me).

I'll keep you all posted on what the outcome is, thanks again for the quick response!

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
A graphic driver will not make any difference until the system hands over to AHCI (Operating system)

Keep us informed.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Leo_Da
Level 7
Yeah thats what I thought.

Anyway, my mate managed to fix the computer. Apparently the BIOS had set itself to skip the intro logo and boot straight to SSD...which had no OS on it, so it kinda just sat there...
Not sure why clearing CMOS and removing the battery for a while didn't fix that, but I'm just glad its all good again.

Thanks for the help anyway guys! It's nice to know theres good support for ROG gear! =D

HiVizMan
Level 40
OK all good. Thread closed.