Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array dan.ivan PC Specs
    dan.ivan PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus P6T deluxe
    ProcessorI7 920, @2.67 mhz
    Memory (part number)9GB @ 1600 Mhz Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 970 FTW+
    Sound CardPhoebus soundcard

The question is: This driver works well with windows 8.1 or not? I meant for normal use (games, listing to music and watch videos); I use windows 7 x64 but I see that the new driver also don't have WHQL from Microsoft which is sad. There are some issues with dolby digital software. For example if its played a native 5.1 movie with 5.1 analog setup without other surround virtualizer enabled the sound should be 5.1 and it is but if its played something stereo the sound goes virtualized (but virtualizer effects are off) and its stopped only if I change sample rate. I had already placed this issue from the beginning but nothing has happened. I already start to believe that this issue will never be fixed and I don't understand why windows 7 isn't WHQL!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by dan.ivan View Post
    The question is: This driver works well with windows 8.1 or not? I meant for normal use (games, listing to music and watch videos); I use windows 7 x64 but I see that the new driver also don't have WHQL from Microsoft which is sad. There are some issues with dolby digital software. For example if its played a native 5.1 movie with 5.1 analog setup without other surround virtualizer enabled the sound should be 5.1 and it is but if its played something stereo the sound goes virtualized (but virtualizer effects are off) and its stopped only if I change sample rate. I had already placed this issue from the beginning but nothing has happened. I already start to believe that this issue will never be fixed and I don't understand why windows 7 isn't WHQL!
    First, I recommend turning off the Dolby Profiler completely when listening to 5.1 or 7.1 content and only turning it on for material that has Dolby Pro Logic I/II encodings. Second, it's Dolby Profiler, not Dolby Digital Software. Dolby Digital is an audio format. There is 3 different operating modes. Movie, music, game. I think different ones affect this a little.

Dolby Pro Logic II has 3 different operating modes, movies and games are used for content encoded with Pro Logic I/II encoding, these modes are quite the same other than how bass redirection management is done. Music mode is different in variety of ways, (no auto balance, rear left is not inverted upon decoding, among other things intended for material that wasn't encoded with Dolby Pro Logic I/II).

The profiler works a little different from a real hardware decoder, but most of the princibles are there.
    Last edited by SoundMan; 12-09-2013 at 02:11 AM.

dan.ivan PC Specs

Hey SoundMan, I only use dolby because of its equalizer; everything else is disabled;

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey SoundMan, I only use dolby because of its equalizer; everything else is disabled;
    But the Pro Logic II decoding can't be disabled unless you turn it off completely. Changing the sample rate will probably just cause initialization error with the program if anything. The program is a DirectX type DSP. It only works with Direct Sound streams, anything that takes exclusive control of the sound device will just bypass it. It's just how things work in a Vista and up (including 7 & 8). They're computer programs that will let you bypass the Windows mixer and access the hardware directly, but the wrong combination of bit depths and sample rates can cause issues.

Virtualizing is not part of the original Pro Logic II specification, it just something Dolby threw in along with everything else, like the EQ and stuff. But unfornately the Pro Logic II can't be turned without turning the whole thing off. It's just how it is.

You can still enjoy beautiful Dolby Digital 5.1 / 7.1 with this thing off, it's not needed for those type of soundtracks.

If your speakers are lacking that much, you can try a different set or if there's adjustments for those, try tweaking them a bit.

I recommend Hi-Fi mode most of the time in the Asus Phoebus driver.

dan.ivan PC Specs

Thanks man for the detailed info; I just tough it will just works like THX software from Creative soundcards;

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks man for the detailed info; I just tough it will just works like THX software from Creative soundcards;
    You're welcome.

ROG Member Array

Since installing this driver windows hangs at startup every now and then.
    It may not be related, but it could be.
    After rebooting the system then, it works.
    Apart from that I didn't encounter bigger problems so far. I am not willing to test if the scrambled sound if both speakers and headphones are used was fixed

For the next driver version it would be nice to have the option to unite headphones and speakers into one sound device (like Realtek offers and Recon3D does).

Many applications (Skype, many games) don't have the option to use the "primary sound device" which basically would do that already.

Also since I use a 5$ USB sound card now for my microphone I can't tell, if the background noises on the Asus mic port are gone.
    I'll test that when I find the time, also I'll see if the echo cancellacion finally works without additional hardware (I bought the Phoebus Solo because it a had better filter rates, but it comes without the command module).

ROG Enthusiast Array Mineria PC Specs
    Mineria PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VI Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 4790K
    Memory (part number)32GB 2400Mhz G.Skill Trident X
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix GTX1080 A8G
    Sound CardCreative SoundBlaster ZxR
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster V8 GTS
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1000 G2
    Keyboard Corsair K70
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Extended
    Headset/Speakers Mackie CR3
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC3200

Dolby Home Theater doesn't work, back to previous driver.

Investigated a bit upon the issue.
    When I set DisableProtectedAudioDG to 0 to be able to play protected audio and movies the Dolby software gets broken.
    It works with it set to 1, but then I'm unable to play anything that is digital protected.
    Last edited by Mineria; 12-15-2013 at 02:20 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

DHT never worked in the first place...

ROG Enthusiast Array Mineria PC Specs
    Mineria PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus VI Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 4790K
    Memory (part number)32GB 2400Mhz G.Skill Trident X
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG Strix GTX1080 A8G
    Sound CardCreative SoundBlaster ZxR
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO
    CPU CoolerCoolermaster V8 GTS
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNova 1000 G2
    Keyboard Corsair K70
    Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
    Headset Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300 Extended
    Headset/Speakers Mackie CR3
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC3200

Quote Originally Posted by Glasofruix View Post
    DHT never worked in the first place...
    Worked for me up to Xonar Phoebus Version 8.0.1.29 (never tried Version 8.0.1.30 )

Just did a restore from backup, to get it all working again.
    I then checked for the registry key "DisableProtectedAudioDG ", it doesn't exist, but Xbox Music, Netflix and DHT works without issues.
    Last edited by Mineria; 12-15-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast