cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair Formula-Z 8350 OC temps?

usx8
Level 7
Alright, yesterday I was working on trying to get my OC a bit higher, and while I was running Realbench I noticed some odd temperatures. I was monitoring them using HWmonitor, and during the OC the MB CPU temp wasn't very high at all, around 54, but the packet (core temperature as I understand it) reached up to 72c before I cut the benchmark short. If I'm not mistaken the "safe" temperatures for this CPU are 65c on the socket and 61c on the core temp. Was HWmonitor giving me false readings, or are the safe temps higher? I have never gotten temps like this running a full system stress under AIDA64, however I didn't test this OC with it, so it may be different.
12 REPLIES 12

haihane
Level 13
what's your ambient temperature?

results may vary based on your ambient temperature. let's take my 8350 for example:

i live in a tropical country, where it's hot all year round (well, almost!). at stock speed, idle, i can get 48-54 *C.
while folding some proteins (medium folding power), 7 cores used @ 65% CPU usage, it's stable at 60 *C.
i remember though, when i got this system the first time around from the shop, the CPU temperature could go up to 75 *C during prime95 torture test with no noticeable side effect except a very hot room. turn on the air conditioning and the temperature stabilizes at 65-67 *C during prime95.

i found out much later that it was due to poorly applied thermal paste on a CoolerMaster Seidon 120 XL (the actual problems are slightly more complicated than that; one of the radiator fans turned out to be faulty too, but that's another story altogether). so, after cleaning and reapplying the thermal paste, and getting the fans switched:
- idle @ 42 *C,
- full load @ 65 *C.

that's about as much for my personal testimony on a Vishera 8350. you can have a look at this guru3d article too about temperature:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_fx_8350_processor_review,9.html

probably a good thing to take note, if i don't remember it wrongly, hilbert (guru3d) lives in amsterdam (don't lynch me if i got it wrong!), where the ambient temperature is colder. if you're going to compare temperatures, you need to consider the temperature difference between the one in the article and your own room temperature.

tl;dr
i myself personally limit myself to thinking 95 C on a vishera 8350 to be the upper boundary of safe temp (under load), what i can still tolerate.
the actual upper limit, i don't know. bios option on my crosshair 5 formula z states 130 *C as the danger limit. if it did go up till anywhere near that i'd freak out and start dismantling my pc to check for errors.

after all, it's a Vishera, not a freaking Athlon Thunderbird.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

HiVizMan
Level 40
If possible see what each core of the CPU temp is. That is the key info.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

usx8
Level 7
Alright, ambient is currently 22c-23c. I looked around for a program that would show all my core temps and I couldn't find any, for some reason my copy of HWmonitor doesn't show mine, I tried uninstalling and re installing, that didn't fix it. From what haihane said though I think that 70c seems reasonable, I'll re-run the test and tweak a few things and post the results.

HiVizMan
Level 40
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-system-monitor/Pages/overview.aspx

Should do so
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I tried the AMD sytem monitor, and it lets me view the core usage and frequency, but not temps, so its not much different from AISuite II. I put my new heatsink on (finally) and now temps are much better, so I raised the OC. Now I'm still breaking the temp "limit" (I cut the benchmark short when the cores hit 75c) but at a higher clock. I currently have a NB OC, and my OC is based on boosting the FSB, not the multi, is this maybe causing more heat than it should?

Poco_OM
Level 10
What cooling are you running and what thermal paste?

Your idle temps seem awfully high considering your low ambient.

My 9590 is idling at 26c with ambient s in the low 20s. Custom h20.

I'm using a Noctua Nh-D14 and I'm using this coolermaster thermal paste I had laying around, nothing special. My idle is 39c now (I switched from a hyper 212 evo just the other day). I checked the spread when I put the heatsink on the first time to make sure it was well covered, then cleaned it off and did again. If anything it might be too thin. Would a better thermal paste help here? Or is it application do you think? Or some other odd factor? I know it isn't airflow, I have plenty of air coming in and out of my case!

HiVizMan
Level 40
To thin is good, you only want to fill in the microscopic gaps not leave a layer between the metal of the cooler and the CPU.

Poco_OM
Level 10
Thermal paste can drop a few degrees, and as HiViz says a thin layer is best.
I am pretty sure there is a cut out if the CPU hits said heat limit, and my 9590 has shutdown a many times because of it. That was at 83c in hwmonitor. I am not convinced that was an accurate reading, just thought it might be useful information for you to know.