cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G750 Owner - Help With Upgrade/Setup

sonik
Level 7
Hello all, I'm the (hopefully) proud new owner of a G750 JX. Got the TB-71 model with 750GB HD, and 16 GB ram.

I also purchased a samsung 840 ssd.

So my question is what is the optimal order of getting this thing properly set up?

Should I update windows to 8.1 first and then install the ssd, or ssd now and then upgrade to 8.1 ??

What programs/bloatware can I remove?

Basically what's the easiest way to get the SSD and win 8.1 up and running smoothly.

Additionally I read something about newer version of the current lineup, JXa, JWa, something along those lines. Anybody know what the deal is with that and how to check an see if I've got a newer version?

Thanks so much! Looking forward to unleashing the beast!
11 REPLIES 11

sonik
Level 7
I read the "Bought a G750JW-DB71 and a few questions" sticky thread. Just curious if I should even update to 8.1

wrangler
Level 7
I saw the reference to JXA, also, but it doesn't appear to be a different model, at least not one that's out now. On the ASUS web site, inputting "G750-JXA" as a model number for support got me an error message.

Pitcher1
Level 9
asus have not JXA model for G750, so where are you look for this model? others, i think you upgrade to 8.1 or change ssd then upgrade to 8.1, it is ok, you can use ASUS backtracker tool to change image to new SSD.

ah i realised that I probably missunderstood the topic/question 😛

sorry!

ah i realised that I probably missunderstood the topic/question 😛

sorry!

wrangler
Level 7
"JXA" is mentioned in this thread, among others.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39156-G750JX-BIOS-208-Update-Concerned-about-doing-this

See the screenshot for "G750JXA" BIOS.

rillex
Level 7
I bought 750jx a few days ago and ran the OS on the 750gb HD, felt so extremely slow and bad. Took forever to do anything, login was so goddamn slow.

I Had never opened a laptop or changed/installed a new HDD before.
But it was pretty easy and straight-forward!

I plugged in my USB-HDD (had no other usb-pens =( ...) and ran asus backtracker
Turned off the computer
Removed the original HDD and placed the SSD where the original HD was installed.
plugged in the usb-hdd again (the one I installed the os image on with asus backtracker)

and it installed and booted up perfectly

turned off the computer again and installed the original HDD in the second slot

and formated the 750hdd

then I used windows update to install a few required updates so I could have access to the windows 8.1 upgrade

upgraded to windows 8.1 through store

Its easy and fast to do but the whole download process seem to take forever even with 100mbit

Also, I did not update my realtek audio drivers, for some reason I got very bad framerates in arma3 when installing any other realtek drivers. 😞

sonik
Level 7
Thanks for the replies, anybody else want to chime in?

Pjay12
Level 7
I removed pretty much all the bloatware from mine. I also updated my BIOS, gpu driver, audio driver, undervolted, optimized, cleaned up, etc all by myself! (Its my first time doing it and Im very proud of myself)

Proof that I feel I did it right - Crysis 3 on ultra runs at around 40-50 fps. Gaming for 8 hours straight gave me temps below 68 degrees ( cpu and gpu) No lag. Boots up in about 5 sec max. No issues with sound or graphics. Amazing performance. My advice is to everything by yourself, experience it and find out everything about your own laptop. I had 1 reboot when overclocking my graphics card so I found out my limits. I had a few graphics driver crashes when playing around more. Now I have arrived at a system thats perfect for me.

If you need any help uninstalling stuff, post the names of the app here and Ill tell you if I think its safe to uninstall. If you want driver advice, post here and Ill tell you which one Im using perfectly satisfactorily.

On a side note, I dont experience any of the problems posted here by most users. Speaking popping or distorting, graphic probs, etc nothing. Its perfect.