cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading a G75VW's graphics card

slaughtermelon
Level 7
So I've had this G75VW for a few months now and it's been great. But I've never the less begun replacing parts with better ones. So far I've replaced the HDDs with 2 WD blacks and I've replaced the 12GB of 1333mhz RAM with 16GB of 1600mhz RAM.

Now I've got it in my head that I should replace the decent GTX 670m with the even more decent GTX 675mx going from .8 TFLOPS to 1.2 TFLOPS. I've found one from Asus that is designed to fit the MOBO and the chassis.

That being said, I've never replaced a GPU in a laptop, and despite knowing how to disassemble the machine, I can't help but think this is a stupid idea... and even still I think I need to do it...

Does anyone else have experience with this, any tips or suggestions?
9 REPLIES 9

rewben
Level 13
@slaughtermelon, you should try to put in a ssd. that actually makes a difference.

this is the first time i learn that replacing gpu in a g75 is possible. the gpu in g75 is non-standard. iirc there is no such upgrade in production from asus. do you mind sharing with us where you can get hold of such gpu's?

slaughtermelon
Level 7
Well I found that asus had a line of them made for the G75VW and G75VX, there is the GTX 660m, 670m, 675m, 670mx, 675mx. I got the model with the GTX 670m and after doing some research I found it clocks in at .8 TFLOPS and the GTX 675mx clocks in at 1.2 TFLOPS. So there is a difference of very nearly .4 TFLOPS.

Basically I got the G75VW mid range model (because it was on sale) and now I kinda wish I had gotten the G75VX.

But anyways, ebay has a bunch of people parting out a wide range of asus products. Which is where I found the part from the G75VX which seems to be compatible with the MOBO from either system. So assuming the heat sync isn't vastly different, it should be a fairly simple of disassembling the system, replacing the GPU, rebuilding the system, and hoping I don't need to modify the BIOS or UFEI or whatever.

rewben
Level 13
oh ok.. sorry i didn't know there was a 675m and 675mx in asus g-series lineup. well although it sounded real, i suggest you double check with the seller about compatibilities.

Dreamonic
Level 12
I believe you are referring to the NVIDIA 600M Series lineup, not what ASUS chose to use out of that lineup. AFAIK, these 3 cards I listed below are only available in the G75 Series.

As you can see, with all different heatsinks as well.

660M

670M

670MX

Dreamonic wrote:
I believe you are referring to the NVIDIA 600M Series lineup, not what ASUS chose to use out of that lineup. AFAIK, these 3 cards I listed below are only available in the G75 Series.

As you can see, with all different heatsinks as well.

660M

670M

670MX

i guess the difference in size and shape of the heatsinks might become a problem during such upgrades.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Also, if you want to put a 670MX in a G75VW model, then you'll need to have a modified BIOS (which I can do for you) as ALL VW models have the 660M and 670M vBIOSes and ALL VX models have the 660M and 670MX vBIOSes.

slaughtermelon
Level 7
You're right, there is a more significant difference with the heat sync than I anticipated. And given the BIOS issue, and the smaller margin of improvement than I originally calculated... I'm starting to think this isn't an economical or practical idea.

ForCeV
Level 10
What if I have both G75vx and G75vw.....

Reason why I ask this question is I have G75vw -3D panel 120hz model (maximum model) .. and I research to get an information for upgrading my G75vw 's graphics card. I understand it is different form factor, heat pipe and vbios. Then, if I move G75vx's motherboard as a whole to G75vw model. Then can it be working??? or if my g75vw 3d Panel monitor move to G75vx model.. can it be possible??

what is you guys opinion to to this... is that can't be??

The reason what I really want to use 3D 120hz panel with 670mx graphics card....but I can't find 3d model on g75vx with 670mx...

or impossible to upgrade 670m to 670mx in g75vw model....

SpasTaz0917
Level 7
ForCev.

I think the port is different for the 3D- panel.
so you might want to ask/PM Dreamonic. for help he has experience in switching it to 670MX. (vBIOS flash and stuff)

but I don't know about the 670m working in the VX.... better ask Rewben and Dreamonic 😛
rig: Impact VII / 4790K / Crucial Ballistix SP 16GB 1600Mhz/ 256GB 850 Pro
Corsair AX760 / H105 AIO Watercooling / Bitfenix Prodigy
laptop: G75VW 3630QM / 670m /16GB RAM / 256GB 840 Pro + 750gb/ BD drive
Gaming OC for 670m 750/1750