cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS Solution

MG00711
Level 7
Does anyone know of a PCIe network interface that might work with the RAIDR? I'd like to replace my SSD RAID NAS with something faster like this!:D
4 REPLIES 4

X-ROG
Level 15
You want faster than GigE speeds you mean?

Your options are limited to:

Teaming two GigE adapters together: this needs two wires, two ethernet connections on server and end PC and your router needs to support it. The performance gain is limited from 1G to 2G.

Go Infiband. It's a big investment and requires experience in network admin I'd imagine: There are HP cards on eBay for the price of a motherboard - and you'll need spare PCIe 8x slots. You'll have to replace your cables with very expensive new ones (versus Cat 5e/6) and buy a business Infiband router which isn't cheap or quiet or easy to setup I'd imagine. Speeds are typically 10G but can get to 40G depending on equipment. 10G with overhead should be fast enough to throughput RAIDR at full speed.

kkn
Level 14
MG00711 wrote:
Does anyone know of a PCIe network interface that might work with the RAIDR? I'd like to replace my SSD RAID NAS with something faster like this!:D

too expensive.
depends on the amount of hdds in nas you can raid a couple of them to get higher speeds.

X-ROG
Level 15
What do you need that kind of speed for in a NAS?

Nodens
Level 16
Even if your RAID a million drives, you're still limited by the network connection to the NAS.

In addition to what MarshallR said there's also 10Gb Ethernet and Fiber Channel options. They're all very expensive setups though. And all (including Infiniband) need networking knowledge.

Also a RAIDR for NAS is rather low storage (specially if you're going Infiniband for it lol). Were you thinking of bundling a few of them together in a Linux box? Cause if that's the case you'd have to use Software RAID anyhow.

So I'll also second that question. What do you need that kind of speed on NAS for? If your tell us more perhaps we can tell you of a decent setup for specific workload.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.