cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLi EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
Hi ROG'ers

I need some feedback, im really considering getting a second EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX for my system.

Im only running 1 X BENQ XL2470T at the moment, might add one in the future. But i want more BANG! More performance!

I suppose my PSU will handle this?

What are your recommendations? YES / NO? Why no? Upgrading to a 780 TI is not an option! I'm aswell curios to have a SLi setup for the firs time too, pure eyecandy!

I am afraid of microstutter though, but I read on the interwebs that Nvidia at the moment has good SLi profiles and updates them regularly. Can't speak too much about that since im only starting to read about this topic. Maybe one of you guys could help?

How long would 2 X 780 last for playing games 1920 x 1080 on ULTRA?

Of course i would OC the second card aswell and my thoughts of doing this are:

Remove the 780 i have installed now, put the new one in, leave the old one out so when im OC'ing i can see if the new 780 SC ACX handles more than +75MHz GPU clock offset and +250MHz Mem clock offset. Once sucessfully OC'ed and stresstested put the other 780 in. Would this be correct?

Cheers guys!
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB @ 2400MHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
SSD SYSTEM: CORSAIR FORCE GT 120GB
SSD APPS: CORSAIR FORCE GT 240 GB
HDD STORAGE: WD BLACK 2TB
CORSAIR AX860I PSU
CORSAIR H100I 4 x SP120 HP
63 REPLIES 63

HiVizMan
Level 40
On a single monitor not sure how much real benefit you will get. But the minute you upgrade to larger real estate screen resolution wise you will notice the gains.

There will be gains for sure.

My vote YES go for it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
But still with a single monitor i will get a significant FPS increase don't i?

Cheers
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
CORSAIR AX860I PSU

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not going to commit to significant increase as that is very subjective but certainly games will achieve higher frame rates, just bare in mind you are now going to become limited by the bandwidth your CPU core speed generates.

Most folks do no fully appreciate how power full the current top end graphic cards are. 🙂

There is a good link that was posted up about dual card gaming I will try and find it for you. But look at the kinds of performance you get with single cards.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/827?vs=764
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Found it

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40814-GeForce-GTX-760-770-780-in-SLI-and-3-way-SLI

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd say yes, go for it. Even at 1920x1080 there are games that could do with dual cards to really max them out in terms of AA etc. If you do go for a second card maybe think about selling your monitor and going to 2560x1440. Or if you stay 1080p then your cards are going to last you a while...like a good while...

If you do get a new card your idea is good....take out the old one and benchmark the new one to find out what it's like. Then you can decide which will be the lead card etc and go to SLI knowing your cards strengths and weaknesses. Boost 2.0 can cope with different maximum boost clocks without stutter etc these days so running games (especially if they have been out a while and have been patched and decent drivers and profiles set up for them) is a pleasure in SLI.

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
Thanks Hivizman & Arne! As usual highly informative responses, its a charm to be around these forums! Repped you both!

I think I'll stay at 1920x1080 for the moment, and as you stated Arne, i want cards that last for a good while (playing games on ultra, super nice graphics). Im pleased to read, that boost 2.0 can cope with different maximum boost clocks without stutter, since one card will be the lead card with higher OC.

Thanks for the good read and link Hivizman, i do fully appreciate how strong my current card is, but i just want more :p.

What i didn't really understand is, you stated that i will be limited with by the bandwidth my CPU core speed generates. What does this mean for me? I won't reach 4.5GHz with my I7 4770K?

Cheers
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
CORSAIR AX860I PSU

kkn
Level 14
limit is the monitor ( you will not get more fps then the monitor can handle )
example cards = 200 FPS ,monitor = 60FPS , all in all you will only get 60FPS OUT.
take a look at the power requirements of the GPU and see if you can run whit the PSU.

EnthusiastBuild
Level 12
I got a brand new BenQ 144Hz gaming monitor, so i guess the monitor will cap at 144 fps? Which i certanly won't achieve even in SLi in BF4 with supersampling and everything maxed out. Can't really speak about these topics since i don't have any knowledge. You never stop learning.

Still i didn't understand the CPU thingy that Hivizman mentioned. Is it possible to run the second card in the 3rd pci slot on my maximus vi formula? Would be good so the upper card doesn't get too much heat!

Cheers
CORSAIR 900D
ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA
INTEL I7 4770K @ 4.5 GHZ
SLI EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX
CORSAIR AX860I PSU

HiVizMan
Level 40
CPU thingy - modern cards produce a huge amount of information this data needs bandwidth to function well hence the new Gen3 PCIE standard. Well that is just dandy, but that huge amount of data needs to be processed and that is the CPU's job. The more data that is produced, and with multicards a whole heap more data is produced, the harder the CPU has to work to keep up.

So to use a benching example. When I bench single card I OC the graphic card to the max because I want the most performance out of that single card. When I benched 4 cards there was no point to even OC the cards - scores became worse. Yet with each 100MHz of CPU frequency the FPS of the game tests, those tests that are VGA driven, improved hugely. These gains continued right up to 6.150GHz where that 4930K maxes out.