cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi "limited" problem----Need help!

tonycao
Level 7
Hi there.

I just brought my brand new G750jw couple hours ago. I'm so happy with it! It truly is a wonderful laptop for me!

Everything was good in the first hour, until at some point where the wifi connection is "limited".

Now I've tried lots of method on the internet that I can find with my iphone (since my laptop "hates" the internet connection), and non of them worked. So please at least don't tell me to un-check the "Allow this computer to turn off the device to save power" option under "power management" found in network and sharing center.

I really do need help with this issue. I've also asked my friends but the only answer I got was "switch back to win 7"...which I have no intend of doing. Please, help me with this issue!

Thank you!

And btw, the keyboard is awesome!!
13 REPLIES 13

WatchGuard
Level 9
1) What type of 802.11 Wireless network are you trying to connect to? B/G/N on 2.4 or N/AC on 5ghz?
2) Are you using DHCP or a static IP?
3) What does ipconfig /all show?
4) Are you able to ping the default gateway?
5) If yes to 4, are you able to ping 8.8.8.8?
6) What is the device that is broadcasting the wireless?

Please don't ask us *not* to ask you simple questions when you only list 1 method you checked, otherwise we will. I can't guess what you have looked at :-/.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you haven't tried it already, restart Win8 (instead of shutting down) to make sure the problem is still there before you start worrying about the other stuff since this should clean out or reset your software some (in a manner of speaking anyway).

Although it may not help too often, it's easy enough to try.

If you don't have anything you're worried about though, you might also consider either system restore if a restore point is available to set the system back to an earlier date, or just erase everything and reset/recovery back to the factory original condition to really clean everything out and start over since your system is so new.

cl-Albert, I restarted several times. Didn't work tho:(

I really don't want to back to the factory original condition unless it is absolutely necessary.

But still, thanks for the advice!

tonycao
Level 7
WatchGuard, thank you for replying.

I asked "not" to because all I've seen is that solution.

So here's what I've done so far:

1). I tried to reset the TCP/IP using netsh.exe
2). I tried using command prompt typing "ipconfig /all" - "ipconfig /release" - "ipconfig /renew" which I have no idea what it is since I'm a total idiot about computer system settings.
3). I tried diable WMM, and since it doesn't work I switched back to "auto"
4). All those reconnecting/rebooting both router and cable/rebooting laptop, these helped me to be able to post thread...

To answer your question:

1). Netgear N300, WNR2000. It's a 802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz type. After looking up some websites I wonder if this is the problem:confused:
2). I believe it is a DHCP
3). It shows a bunch of stuff which I don't even know where to begin
4). No, I'm not able ping my default gateway. It shows "request time out"
6). Arris TM822G from Optimum with the Netgear router.

I hope these answers are useful, except the third answer since I really don't know what information do you want, or just the whole thing.

Again, thank you for your reply!

jbreeze228
Level 7
I don't know if you're having the same issue as me. I have the G750JW also and almost on a daily basis the wireless adapter will get a "limited connection". I have to right click the signal icon at the bottom right and go to "Open network and sharing center" the click "Change adapter settings" all the way on the left pane and manually disable the wireless adapter and then renable it and connect to my network and it fixes it instantly. This didn't happen to I upgraded to 8.1.. but like I said idk if this is the exact issue you're having but give it a try.
G750JW
Intel Core i7 4700HQ
16GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHZ
GEFORCE GTX 765M
Toshiba 128GB SSD + Factory 1TB HDD

jbreeze22b, I tried your method just now. It didn't work for me:(

But I'm glad it worked for you:)

jbreeze228
Level 7
Did you restart your computer after doing the ipconfig /renew? If that doesn't work you might have to restore your computer back to factory... it's not fun and is very time comsuming, especially if you do the full format which I do when I've formatted in the past. I'm out of ideas but good luck. Hope you get it resolved!
G750JW
Intel Core i7 4700HQ
16GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHZ
GEFORCE GTX 765M
Toshiba 128GB SSD + Factory 1TB HDD

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
If you haven't had the notebook for more than a day, wondering if there could be any issues related to radio interference (I may be totally wrong).
If it's easy to move somewhere else to connect to a different wireless access point, or try a different system at your location, you may want to compare this way.

Also, unplug any USB devices temporarily just to see if this makes any difference.

Well, hopefully others have better ideas if these aren't helpful.

tonycao
Level 7
Guys, Thank you again for offering methods:)

I'm now having no problem connecting internet using a cable instead of wifi.

Since I'm not planning to take it outside anytime soon, I'll stick with actualy cable for now and try to find more information. I still think it could be my router's problem since it's a 2.4GHz which seems to work better for b/g/n's.

Anyway, I'll try to get a new router soon, and then post here for updates about this problem. I hope these can help other people who have the same issue.

Thanks again!