cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 780ti top DVI port not functioning.

Xyzzy_Frobozz
Level 7
I have 2 GTX 780ti cards. I changed a setting in Asus GPU Tweak for Target Refresh Rate. The screen went blank.

I reset the computer and it displayed the bios and Windows loading screen OK, but the moment the Welcome screen comes on the screen goes blank (without displaying the Welcome screen). The problem persists into Windows.

I changed the monitor to the second DVI output on the top card and it displayed OK. To isolate whether this was a software problem (GPU Tweak), I removed GPU Tweak from the computer via Uninstall and returned the output to the top output. Same problem.

I then swapped cards by swapping the cards positions in the case to isolate whether there was a hardware problem with the top card's top DVI output. Same problem, the second card will not display when connected to the top output, but will display fine when connected to the second output.

Help!

This is a really mystifying problem. Although the cards my work fine when the display is connected to the second output, I don't really see this as a fix so much as a workaround. My understanding is that there is a small performance advantage when using the topmost output. Even if there is no advantage, I would like to sort this problem out if possible. What I think is happening is that somewhere I have changed a setting in Windows or Nvidia Control Panel that states that the top output must output at a Refresh Rate beyond the capability of my monitor, but I'll be stuffed if I can find where.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
- Rampage IV Extreme - i7 3820 - 16Gb Corsair Dominator GT - Asus RAIDR 240Gb - 4 x Corsair Force 3 240Gb - Corsair HX1050 - 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb - 2 x Asus GTX 780ti - Asus Xonar Phoebus - Corsair H100 - Corsair Carbide 400t -
3 REPLIES 3

HiVizMan
Level 40
You have the option in the nVidea control panel to restore defaults have you tried that?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Xyzzy_Frobozz
Level 7
Ah!

Such a simple answer yet so effective.

Thanks HiViz, problem solved!

😉
- Rampage IV Extreme - i7 3820 - 16Gb Corsair Dominator GT - Asus RAIDR 240Gb - 4 x Corsair Force 3 240Gb - Corsair HX1050 - 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb - 2 x Asus GTX 780ti - Asus Xonar Phoebus - Corsair H100 - Corsair Carbide 400t -

HiVizMan
Level 40
All good buddy we do tend to over complicate things I have noticed. And I am as guilty as the next one for that, comes with the territory I guess. Constantly looking for the difficult cause of the issue and missing the solution right in from of you.

You take care and enjoy what is an awesome card.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.