cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Celticguy's Log

celticguy75
Level 8
Well,

Here goes, After 8-9 months of wishful thinking, I've finally started to get the parts for my new machine.

So far I've got the Cooler Master HAF X - I got this for a combination of looks, perforance and upgrade potential.

Today saw the arrival of a Rampage III Black Edition. After losing out on two in the UK thanks to Asus' limited availability, I scored one from the US (Paying over the odds for delviery & import tax though)

The board looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to get started.

Still on the list is

1 - Corsair H100 CPU cooler. (Mostly for getting the fan configuration ready for Phase 2 which is full watercooling.
2 - I7 CPU - Which one depends on a few factors, including price. It's going to be one of the last things I get.
3 - GTX580. The Mars II beast tempted me, but i want to upgrade to watercooling GPU at some point, and it would become redundant
4 - PSU - Still tempted by the Silverstone 1500w (Mainly again for upgrade potential)
5 - SSD - Not sure what to go for yet, probably around 100gb mark
6 - Memory - Not sure what to get here either.. Probably corsair

I want this machine to be overpowered so that I can keep it going for a long time
14 REPLIES 14

chrsplmr
Level 18
Looks like a super start to a hot rig..

Mars II...yum... work out the water issue when you upgrade..

Im a huge fan of Corsair Dominator GT..and yet to see an issue
from this RAM on any of the boards..........
I think the PSU is serious overkill... but... if overkill is your flavor..haha
The SSD I skipped, I see their advantage in nanoseconds....
certainly no difference in boot..that I have seen...
ie::: C5F..average boot 56seconds.... I do that consistantly without SSD all ready...
But if it is in the budget...by all means.
Best of Luck... cant wait.c.

celticguy75
Level 8
Well, it's been a while since I've had more than a few things crop up...

1 - Rampage 3 Black Edition
2 - HAF X
3 - Cooler Master M700 psu
4 - Corsair H100

Just need memory, cpu & graphic card now - As soon as I've got this, the build will be complete for stage 1 I'm going chaap & functional for now because my main PC has died completely.

celticguy75
Level 8
And a few months later, I finally update this.

I did get the machine mostly finished. I'm running the 32 bit version of Win 7 Ultimate at present so I'm losing out on about 5gb of ram. I haven't bought the ANC Vulcan headphones yet and I'm needing a new monitor. All little things that will just fine tune stage 1 of the build.

Loud__amp__Fast
Level 10
let us see some pics! I'm such a fan of the RIIIE BE - they are not available anymore (with luck you find a used one on the bay)
Only rearl bad thing is the 32bit Win.

Giannis996
Level 9
dont forget the pictures!!!!
Project Name: System Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Prossesor: Intel Core i7 4820k
Graphic Card: Asus GTX Titan x2
*Power Supply: Cooler Master V850
Ram: 32Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133Mhz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D
SSD: 2x Samsung Evo 250Gb Raid 0
HDD: 2x Seagate Baraccuda 2TB

frisianbear2002
Level 9
Yeah because we like pics on this forum hahahahaha :cool:
l Asus Rampage 4 Extreme l intel 3930X@ 4800Mhz (1.45volt) 24/7 l Asus matrix GTX 580 l
16GB Team Xtreem DDR3 PC3-20800 2600MHz (11-11-11-28-1)
l Coolermaster Silentpro 1000w PSU l Revodrive3 ssd l WD Raptor 150Gb (10000rpm) l Corsair H100 wc with 4 Cougar Vortex fans l CM HAF 932 Avanced case l Acer X243H 24'' l Asus RT N66U Dark Knight l Logitech Z2300 speakers

In progress the custom build PC Samurai Warrior ''Miyamoto Musashi'' in Japanese ''宮本 武蔵'' made by Pascal

celticguy75
Level 8
Still no pictures yet, Ain't I lazy?

Current status? well, I kinda went ROG/Asus crazy....

Motherboard - Rampage III Black Edition (Don't ask the hoops I went through for this, 3 orders from the UK failed as none in the UK left, had to go to the US to get it)
Case - HAF-X (Really love this case)
CPU - Core 17-960
Memory - 8GB Corsair Dominator GT
CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 Sealed Water cooled unit
HDD - Western Digital 3tb Caviar Green
DVD - LG
Video - 1 Asus Nvidia GTX560 DirectCU II Top

Most of that I already had....

what I bought in the last month though....

Windows 7 64Bit (To utilise all 8gb memory)
Asus ROG Vulcan ANC Headphones (Oh jesus, I've never been a headphone wearer, but there are SO stylish and comfortable.... and the active noise cancelling is awesome)
Asus VG278H Monitor - Yes, a 27" asus Monitor with 3d (haven't used the 3d yet) I'm using a 4 way HDMI splitter box, so my PC monitor can now have my TV signal, PS3, DVD player etc all plugged into one. It's been a big time game changer for me. I still have my 22" Samsung as a second monitor (Ideal when working at home, I can have a movie playing on one screen while I write on t'other.

I'm currently having some minor teething trouble with heat, so I've moved the case to a better position for airflow, and might pick up a second 200mm fan for the top of the HAFX i might even replace the fans present to something with more oomph.

But, so far, my experience with Asus, ROG etc, has been awesome. They've won a customer in me I think. Their help on this site, and the great help provided by the other members of the forum have played a big part in my choices this year.

Zka17
Level 16
It seems pretty nice... - and yes, we would like some pictures! :cool:

May I ask which Dominator GT model you have exactly? Is it a dual channel kit?

celticguy75
Level 8
I'll try to take some pictures soon...

and yes, it's the dual channel 2x4gb kit....