cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Impact - Help needed, strange OC problem

Joni
Level 7
Posted this allready to Impact sticky thread, but thought would be good idea to post it here too that more people could see it.

So the problem im having now is that when i apply overclock the cpu dont retain the multiplier i set at uefi. Example if set multi to 42 its not staying constantly at 4200mhz when loaded but fluctuating beetween 41-42 lighter loads, with P95 blend it jumping all the time beetween 41-42 but at smallfft test its staying on 42 without dropping it. Also tried BF4 and similar thing is happening on that one aswell, when there is lot of stuff happening on the screen multi is 42, but if i pause the game or there is less stuff going on at the game multi drops to 41. Its definately nto thermal issue as it starts to happen immideatly when temps are still really low. Also it dont happen at uefi defaults which actually has higher voltage on AVX programs so i dont think its any power related issue.

Whole rig contains:

Maximus VI Impact (bios 0404)
i5 4670K
Corsair H100i
8Gb G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz
GB GTX 780 OC 3GB
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB + 1Tb WD blue HDD
Corsair AX850
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Here is video took yesterday where P95 blend is running and you can see the multi is going up/down all the time.

Settings i have changed at uefi are currently:

Fully manual mode -> enabled
By all cores -> 42
CPU cache eventual multiplier -> 40 ( also tried at auto)
ram frequency -> 1600Mhz ( also tried at auto )
Manual cpu voltage -> 1.200v
Manual CPU Cache voltage -> 1.150
Ram voltage -> 1.5v

At digi+ & cpu power options initially had all at auto, but later on tried to set cpu current capacity -> 140% + Short & Long duration package limits to 300w but that didnt help.

Really would need some help as im totally lost with this now.
30 REPLIES 30

kkn
Level 14
it wil go up and down a lill depending on load.
i have mine at 4.4 under load and 1.6 idle. thats on lga1155 system.

Joni
Level 7
Offcourse it will throtthle down in desktop use or other stuff where cpu usage is very low. But we are not talking about same thing, it definately isnt supposed to jump like that up/down when processor is at 70-100% load.

Joni
Level 7
Ok did some more testing and there is something really wrong now. Even if i set cpu manually to stock 3.8Ghz clocks its jumping beetween 37-38 multi at most loads, when optimized defaults are loaded it runs at 38x/3800 mhz all the time when loaded so i really dont get this. Seems like either there is some bug at this uefi or i am totally missing some settings that triggers it.

Really would need some help as this is getting awfully frustrating.

Joni
Level 7
Ok now i really start to get pissed off. Updated bios to latest 1002 and now its doing that mutiplier jumping even at stock.

Could some impact owner do me a favour and test P95 Blend test with default settings and see if got same behaviour?

Also verified its nto cpu-z bug as aida64 cpuid shows same fluctuations.

Joni
Level 7
Oh cmon, surely some impact owner has few minutes spare time to test the P95 2.79 blend to see if it drops the multi or not.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Not sure how many impact owners there are on the forum mate.

But clearly that is a little odd the multi bouncing all over the place between 40 and 41 in the vid.

Could you please disable the Turbo function in bios for me.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Joni
Level 7
Not at home atm so cant test it now, but will test turbo disabled tomorrow . Its strange indeed, it seems like everytime that cpu usage is even slightly under 100 it starts that jumping. Example if i run P95 smallfft or IBT multi stays locked to what its set, but even in P95 blend test where cpu usage is like 99.5% that fluctuating starts to happen.

Also even more strange thing is that with 0404 bios that my board had at stock it didint happen when everything was optimized defaults. But now when updated bios to this latest 1002 it happens even with those stock settings.

Other than that games, benchmarks etc seems to run just fine & are totally in line what peoples are getting with same clocks. I have now 4.4ghz cpu / cache 4.2ghz/ ram 2400mhz in use which are exatly same clocks that my friend has with hes 4670K + Z87 Pro + 2400mhz hyperx and im actually getting slightly higher scores than him on 3Dmark FS physicks score and cinebench 11.5 cpu test. But obviously still would want to know why that happens, and if its just some bug with this board and speed detection with those programs or is there some bug with the board (uefi) itself.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for that will check back later.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Joni
Level 7
Btw doesnt setting windows power plan to performance essentially do same thing as would disabling turbo & c-states do?