cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAIDR Express Using Lots Of RAM

lynn9544
Level 7
I just got a RAIDR Express to improve the performance of my photoshop scratch disk and very large lightroom catalog. The OS and programs are on 2 other ssds in RAID, so I thought it would be essentially plug and play, but it took many hours and a few crashes for the install on a P6X58D Premium board. The system is now finally stable, but at idle with nothing open but task manager, 18g of ram out of 24g are being used. With the RAIDR removed, the system idles at 2g of RAM. There is no ramdisk or any other action taking place. I've talked with 4 people so far at Asus, and they're still working on it.

I ended up using the provided Marvel driver, and the lower slot on the X58 in the 16-8-8 configuration. Any idea what's happening with the RAM?

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

Nodens
Level 16
Where are you seeing this value?

Also can you download process explorer from here:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Run it, press ctrl-I, take a screenshot of that window and post here.

Also View> Select Columns>Process Memory tab: Enable "Working Bytes" and "Private Set" columns. Then in PE main window click on the title of the "Private Bytes" column to sort via that field and take a screenshot as well at the top.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Thanks Nodens. I was seeing the memory usage in task manager. The system has become unstable again. If I can get it up and running again with RAIDR installed, I will do as you say. Currently, I've removed RAIDR and the system is perfectly stable...

lynn9544
Level 7
Ok, got the system running again with only one monitor. Hmmm. Starting to think some of the instability is linked to the Quadro card. Anyway, I've included the task manager in the screen shot. With the RAIDR removed, tm settles at about 2.3g usage. Thanks again for your help...30735

Nodens
Level 16
This doesn't help me at all unfortunately. This is clean. I need to see it when the issue is there. Also the Ctrl-I window of Process Explorer. Don't include regular task manager at all as it's useless for seeing the info I need to see.

That said, if your system becomes entirely unstable with the RAIDR. You may me looking at a faulty RAIDR. But since you say you also have instability without the RAIDR that you attribute to the Quadro card (which is weird since Quadro cards are the most stable video adapters available), I'm starting to believe you have a general stability issue. So please do try to test your RAM with Memtest86+ as I suspect you may have general RAM issues.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

lynn9544
Level 7
Understood Nodens. Thanks for your time. The RAM usage was/is the same in PE at the same time as it is in task manager.. To be clear, the RAM usage IS the issue. The system has been stable for nearly 3 years. There is an occasional glitch, but I push the system hard with both the size and speed with which I process the photos. As you likely know, Adobe certainly doesn't make efficient software, so that doesn't help. Perhaps you're right--maybe it is the RAIDR. Never really occurred to me until you mentioned same. I'll wait to see what Asus has to say on Monday... And yes, I haven't tested the RAM lately. Will do so now. Again, thanks...

Nodens
Level 16
Yes I know it's the same usage but the default windows task manager doesn't have the info I need to see (not interested in RAM usage values as they're worthless). Specifically private bytes and working sets for the processes when the issue occurs. Also the Ctrl-I page of PE shows some additional info that will tell me where the RAM is being used in case it's not taken by a process. All that is not available on the regular task manager, that's why I said don't bother with.:)

If you show me screenshots of when the issue is actually happening I can tell you if it's a software issue or a hardware issue (too many possibilities to list here:)).

RealBench Developer.

Nodens, the screen shot WAS with the 16g RAM leak.....

X-ROG
Level 15
I will ask about support on X58.

What OS are you using?

lynn9544
Level 7
Windows 7 Pro.... Thanks.... Tech support is supposed to call me back Monday.... We'll see.