cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-code 5b or 56 on Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

RopeNL
Level 7
Hi guys,

I'm here because I'm having some trouble with my PC.

Know that I am a NOOB concerning hardware, I just love to fiddle around with it.

Before I start here is my setup:

CPU:
AMD FX-8150 Black Edition

Motherboard:
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

Graphics card:
Asus Radeon HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2

Case:
Corsair Graphite 600T Special Edition (dont know if the case is important but you can look up the fans that are inside)

CPU fan:
be quiet! Shadow Rock PRO SR1

Memory:
Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10R (4x)

Power supply:
be quiet! Pure Power L7 530W

SSD:
Corsair Force GT 120GB

Ok so here it goes.

My PC was fine until a few weeks ago. I had everythin working but it was loud. Really really loud. So I thought I'd replace the standard CPU fan (the one I got with the black edition) with the one listed above (the be quiet! fan).

That's when it started.

I didn't expect it to have such a massive cooling block. Either way I proceeded with installing the thing into my machine.
I noticed that one of the memory sticks was in the way so I took it out (yeah it's that big). Everything fine up until then.

I did everything that was described in the manual for mounting the CPU cooling block. Smeared on the heating paste correctly etc.

However I proceeded to starting up my PC and It wouldn't boot (didn't look at the Q-codes at that specific moment in time). As It wouldnt boot I turned it off and on again thinking it was some momentary lapse or somthing.

And that worked!

Few days later I turned my machine on and it wouldn't do anything and I had to restart it 3 times (being the ignorant fool I am).

Which worked.

However I found it to be annoying and started looking into possible issues. I turned everything off, disconnected the power cable and took out everything except the CPU. I got a memory Q-code so I placed one of the memory card back in.

Everything seemed to go well.

So I proceeded to one by one reconnect everything. Still going strong.

I booted one last time and it worked!

However I powered down to go to sleep 2 days ago. And it's back! The q-code the mother-boards shows me is "5b" (though the b might be a 6 but I doubt that).

I have no idea how to solve this. I even thought that it might be the power supply as it might not be sufficient to power everything (530 W might not be enough). But it used to power everything just fine until I put in the new CPU fan.

The only other thing I really changed was the power supply to the mother board I swapped it from the 12V to the dual 12V supply (figuring it might be the power issue).

But now I'm thinking it's the memory.

Please help me I have no idea how to solve this. And I can't find any solutions on the internet.

Greetings, Rope.

(PS: If you need any additional information I would be happy to supply it!)
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
What I would do is clear CMOS and make sure all my hardware was fitted correctly even the Vga.

Did you wear a antistatic band when you were changing your CPU cooler and fitting the memory? It is a good idea to use one.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
What I would do is clear CMOS and make sure all my hardware was fitted correctly even the Vga.

Did you wear a antistatic band when you were changing your CPU cooler and fitting the memory? It is a good idea to use one.

Hi HiVizMan,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me elaborate a little. I've been reading the user manual of the motherboard and I read that it would consume about 350 W. My Graphics Card consumes about 200 W so why my pc ever ran is beyond me ;p. (the power supply I had was for 530 W).

I ordered a new power supply and did a complete rebuild of my machine. Also clearing the CMOS.

I restarted the machine and everything booted (writing this on the machine right now). However I rebooted the machine to be sure there was no problem.

And the same thing happened. Again a 0x5B q-code and a refusal to boot. I have no idea what is causing it.

Did I fry the PPI or something? (because you mentioned wearing a static glove, which I did not).

This al started happening when I replaced my CPU fan with a new one.

Thanks for the help so far.

Greetings, Rope.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries Rope

I ran a 3770K and a 580 GTX on a 450W PSU for a few months. 😄 Can totally relate.

I would suggest reseating your CPU and the cooler again. That is the common denominator here. So it is possible that your mount is not perfect. Remove the CPU and inspect the pins for any out of line.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi again!

Sorry for the long time of unresponsiveness. I just remounted the cooler and I found out that one of the rubber rings was mounted on the wrong side of the motherboard. This may have caused one of the mounting feet to touch the motherboard.

And as I understand it this is a VERY bad thing.

I'll try remounting my old CPU cooler and see if it really isn't something else. Other wise I'm afraid I may have fried my motherboard.. Sort of..

Because I still can't figure out why sometimes it does boot..

Any ideas?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah that could be a cause for some problems but once you have the old cooler mounted I would not be surprised to see all hunky dory again mate.