cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750jw: Immediate shut down upon startup

Arkatakor
Level 7
This is my second G750jw, the first having faced a set of different problems. With this second G750jw, which is barely more than a month old, I am facing an issue where my laptop always powers off about 3 seconds after being powered on. If I power it on a second time after that it works and does not shut down.

I have tried changing plugs in the wall, and have tried it with and without battery with exactly the same result at all times - if its been off for a while, it will fail to start up the first time. Looks like I will have to bring in this second brand new G750jw laptop to the vendor so that they can send it to the repair shop. At this point, having gone through 2 faulty brand new G750jw laptops in less than 4 months, I can safely state that this batch has serious production faults. As an always avid Asus supporter, I am very disappointed in the standards to which they have fallen.
13 REPLIES 13

hmscott
Level 12
Arkatakor wrote:
This is my second G750jw, the first having faced a set of different problems. With this second G750jw, which is barely more than a month old, I am facing an issue where my laptop always powers off about 3 seconds after being powered on. If I power it on a second time after that it works and does not shut down.

I have tried changing plugs in the wall, and have tried it with and without battery with exactly the same result at all times - if its been off for a while, it will fail to start up the first time. Looks like I will have to bring in this second brand new G750jw laptop to the vendor so that they can send it to the repair shop. At this point, having gone through 2 faulty brand new G750jw laptops in less than 4 months, I can safely state that this batch has serious production faults. As an always avid Asus supporter, I am very disappointed in the standards to which they have fallen.

Arkatakor, did you update the BIOS?

Whenever I update the BIOS I go into the BIOS and select "default settings" at first boot on the new BIOS, but the last time I updated my G750JH BIOS I didn't select "default settings" because I was concerned the RAID SSD settings would be lost.

So I started having that problem, power up - power off, 2nd power up it would boot. It didn't happen every cold boot, but enough to be annoying.

I suspected it was the BIOS update without clearing settings between the update, so I asked Asus if my RAID SSD settings would persist / remain after selecting "default settings", and they said it would.

So I reset the BIOS settings to default, and now I don't have that power on / power off problem. 🙂

I hope that works for you too!

hmscott wrote:
Arkatakor, did you update the BIOS?

Whenever I update the BIOS I go into the BIOS and select "default settings" at first boot on the new BIOS, but the last time I updated my G750JH BIOS I didn't select "default settings" because I was concerned the RAID SSD settings would be lost.

So I started having that problem, power up - power off, 2nd power up it would boot. It didn't happen every cold boot, but enough to be annoying.

I suspected it was the BIOS update without clearing settings between the update, so I asked Asus if my RAID SSD settings would persist / remain after selecting "default settings", and they said it would.

So I reset the BIOS settings to default, and now I don't have that power on / power off problem. 🙂

I hope that works for you too!
Ok am glad I am not the only one out there with this problem because I tried googling it to no end. I will go ahead and try resetting BIOS to default values, and yes I did update my BIOS an perform a clean install of windows 8.1

hmscott
Level 12
Arkatakor wrote:
...and does not shut down.

This is a Windows 8/8.1 problem that I have just been bit by - errors like this show up in the Windows System Event Log:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28756482-Windows-8.1-search-errors-and-DCOM-errors

This hangs me at shutdown/restart, and I have to use the power key to power off. But, it isn't related to the power on issue - that has stopped happening for me.

I have another link on my laptop (on an iPad now) and some notes to follow through with, but I am going to be busy with work this week and won't get back to this till I have some free time... but follow up by checking your System logs and see if you have these, or similar errors around the time you shutdown or reboot.

Fizar
Level 7
even though this is a pretty old topic, this is the exact problem I have with my g750jm right now... and I didn't update the bios, should I still try to reset the bios and hope it works?

Fizar wrote:
even though this is a pretty old topic, this is the exact problem I have with my g750jm right now... and I didn't update the bios, should I still try to reset the bios and hope it works?

Fizar, so, when you power up the laptop, after a few seconds it powers down? And, then it powers up the second time? Exactly the same, any other details?

In this old thread there were a few problems intersecting.

As described my JH did the shutdown at boot, and 2nd time it started up. There were other owners of JH's that reported the same problem. Going to the exit tab in the BIOS and setting Defaults helped me, and others, but in the long term the problem just went away for most - after a couple of weeks of use - weird, right?

This was the only JW reporting this issue, all the others were JH's. It looks like Arkatakor's last posts were in this thread, so he probably gave up and returned his JW. Since no other JW's reported the problem it looks like a unique issue to his JW.

The other problem was the long shutdown / startup problem which turned out to be a problematic Bluetooth driver/app package - turning off Bluetooth fixed it until a new Bluetooth driver/app package release came out a couple of months later.

This is the first time I have heard of this happening to anyone else for many months - and the first JM reported.

I would try the BIOS Set Defaults, and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then report the problem to Asus and let them debug it with you - maybe they have already had other reports and have a fix for you.

You can register a login here, register your laptop, then file a Technical Inquiry to report the problem in clear details - their first language might not be English.
https://vip.asus.com

Please come back and report what you find!

hmscott wrote:
Fizar, so, when you power up the laptop, after a few seconds it powers down? And, then it powers up the second time? Exactly the same, any other details?

In this old thread there were a few problems intersecting.

As described my JH did the shutdown at boot, and 2nd time it started up. There were other owners of JH's that reported the same problem. Going to the exit tab in the BIOS and setting Defaults helped me, and others, but in the long term the problem just went away for most - after a couple of weeks of use - weird, right?

This was the only JW reporting this issue, all the others were JH's. It looks like Arkatakor's last posts were in this thread, so he probably gave up and returned his JW. Since no other JW's reported the problem it looks like a unique issue to his JW.

The other problem was the long shutdown / startup problem which turned out to be a problematic Bluetooth driver/app package - turning off Bluetooth fixed it until a new Bluetooth driver/app package release came out a couple of months later.

This is the first time I have heard of this happening to anyone else for many months - and the first JM reported.

I would try the BIOS Set Defaults, and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then report the problem to Asus and let them debug it with you - maybe they have already had other reports and have a fix for you.

You can register a login here, register your laptop, then file a Technical Inquiry to report the problem in clear details - their first language might not be English.
https://vip.asus.com

Please come back and report what you find!

from what I understand I set the bios to default, (optimal default settings, yes?) but still had the issue today, twice it's always the first boot after opening the lid of the laptop, I may try to uninstall the bluetooth driver/apps and see if that helps.

Fizar wrote:
from what I understand I set the bios to default, (optimal default settings, yes?) but still had the issue today, twice it's always the first boot after opening the lid of the laptop, I may try to uninstall the bluetooth driver/apps and see if that helps.

Fizar, you only need to turn OFF Bluetooth through the Charms=>Settings=>Change PC Settings=>PC and Devices=>Bluetooth - flip to OFF to test it.

BIOS is Reset to Default - as I recall on my BIOS.

But, again, these problems were on the JH for the 2 step power on, and the JW/JX/JH for older Bluetooth drivers at the Windows 8.1 upgrade release - so they are likely not the solution for you. But, I suppose it is worth trying.

Fizar wrote:

xdon82 wrote:
this happens also to me, but very rare... also sometimes I can make keyboard lightness up / down during logging window, sometimes not
This is Windows / drivers issue.

xdon82/Fizar, it may be time to post these/this JM/JS/JZ problem(s) in a new thread, be specific about the symptoms, frequency, details, and we can debug it there. This original issue was specific to the JW/JX/JH Windows 8.1 update and BT drivers at the time being problematic, and probably doesn't extend to explaining your issues.

xdon82
Level 7
this happens also to me, but very rare... also sometimes I can make keyboard lightness up / down during logging window, sometimes not
This is Windows / drivers issue.