cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 problem

Aphrodisiac333
Level 7
Hi, for some reason my usb 3.0 on my G75VW-BHI7NO7 doesn't recognize my hard drive as a 3.0 device. I believe this started occurring after I updated to windows 8.1 about a week ago. When I go over the devices it says 'Device can perform faster when connected to usb 3.0' which is absurd because its already connected in one. I tried all 4 usb 3.0 ports and it displays the same problem. Any suggestion fellas?

Edit: I'm using a Toshiba Canvio 3.0 as a usb 3.0 device.
5 REPLIES 5

Nodens
Level 16
This sounds like your USB3 driver is bad. Did you reinstall drivers after updating to 8.1?
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Aphrodisiac333
Level 7
Yes I did try reinstalling the drivers and still the problem persists... my usb 3.0 is fine since I have used it before when it was windows 8... here is what is happening... 3087030871

Nodens
Level 16
In Device Manager go to Action and select Devices by Connection. Expand/Navigate until you find your device. See if the hub it is actually connected is under the USB3 controller. Take a screenshot.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Aphrodisiac333
Level 7
Thank you for your reply Nodens, I finally fixed my problem. There was a pencil tip stuck on the usb 3.0 port on the external drive but weird since it was able to connect via usb 2.0 but not 3.0. Thanks again. 😉

Nodens
Level 16
It's not weird, USB3 utilizes 8 pins not 4. One of the extra pins not making contact while that standard four did, was defaulting your device to USB2. Glad you sorted it out! (Although I can't help but wonder how the pencil tip got in the slot in the first place 🙂

RealBench Developer.