cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading SSD, should I clone to the new drive or fresh install?

djdelirius
Level 10
So I should my new 840 Pro in on Thursday and wondering if I should just use the software included to clone the drive to the new SSD or just do a fresh OS install for performance and reliability issues? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
My take is to do a fresh OS install. It is easy to migrate data across, less easy to migrate software of course.

But fresh OS install gets my vote.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
I also would do a fresh install.
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

Antronman
Level 10
The fresh install is easier, and more likely to work. I tried moving my OS once and it didn't work quite the way I wanted...
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
Amen to that. I prefer the use of disc cloning for back purposes in a workplace if the company if not on a PXE setup. For home use, just install a fresh copy.
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

revenge666
Level 7
i tried both, and from my experience. fresh installation is better.
i have run benchmarks from the SSD cloned and the same from a fresh install and they gave me better results.
MAximusS V Extreme + XFX 7970 black ed CrossfireX + 3 tb WD Black + Crucial m4 OS/Games + TT 1000W TRX2 + 4 Multi -Display + Xonar DX7.1 + Core i7 3770k + 16gb Gskill TridentX 2.4ghz + LG 2486l display x 3 + philips 42" tv + Thermaltake element V + Harmand/Kardon and Polkaudio 5.1 sound system ready 😛