cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should you benchmark on RamDisk or SSD?

djdelirius
Level 10
So I was just reading some tips for RealBench 2.0 where they suggested installing and running RealBench on RamDisk. Does this apply to all benchmarking software and is there any noticable difference? I haven't setup RamDisk before so not really familiar with it.
9 REPLIES 9

Antronman
Level 10
I believe RAMDisk just gives a designation to an allocation of your RAM and allows you to use that designated bit as storage space. Not worth it, keep benchmarking on the SSD.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
I believe RAMDisk just gives a designation to an allocation of your RAM and allows you to use that designated bit as storage space. Not worth it, keep benchmarking on the SSD.

Please explain to us, exactly how you came to this assumption that a RAMDIsk is not worth it?

Because you are benchmarking based on the RAM memory being used for storage space. Most high-end SSDs are faster than RAM drives.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Antronman wrote:
Because you are benchmarking based on the RAM memory being used for storage space. Most high-end SSDs are faster than RAM drives.

Really? most SSD's are faster than RAM drives huh? so umm....care to explain this then?

That's my Corsair Neutron 128GB Vs a 4GB RAMDisk. The RAM is nothing fancy, just Corsair XMS3 running @ 1600, timings are 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65V

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Really? most SSD's are faster than RAM drives huh? so umm....care to explain this then?

That's my Corsair Neutron 128GB Vs a 4GB RAMDisk. The RAM is nothing fancy, just Corsair XMS3 running @ 1600, timings are 9-9-9-24 @ 1.65V

Where did you get the "RoG" version of crystalmark?

djdelirius wrote:
Where did you get the "RoG" version of crystalmark?

ASUS Website, found in the downloads section of the RAIDR Express 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
Each person has unique needs and wants, for some applications such as image rendering a ramdisk is a huge boon. For others it is less so.

Most certainly a ramdisk will out perform a single SSD. For benchmarks and similar I do not think it is worth the effort.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
I agree with Viz. Ram will definitely run circles around any SSD, but running a bench software from it does very little to no good. I have tried...
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]

WeRNothiNg
Level 10
That is brilliant!
**i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz~ Cooler Master V8 ~ Asus Maximus V Formula ~ G Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB DDR3-1600 ~ Thermaltake Black Widow 850W 80+ Bronze ~ Kingston HyperX 3K 120G SSD ~ 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB
~ WD 500GB ~ 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti TOP 2GB ~ Philips 1080p 39"**

[IMG][/IMG]