cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same guy, G75VW, problems with RAID 0 "avoided" but now more "troublems" the SSD EVO

spanishflyer
Level 7
Who ever followed my ordeals with the BIOS Update on my 2 x 750GB RAID 0, must know that I took a shortcut and installed everything once more starting from scratch. The idea was to get a Samsung 840 EVO 750GB and install the OS on it and use one of the other HDD's to cover for extra space...

Well I got the SSD this morning and proceeded with the Data Migration software Samsung offers with their SSD and as it got to 99% mirrored... it FAILED!!! Their instructions are simple enough (see the attached pic), but this is what I got (see the other pic...)

Tried again with the same results; what on earth is going on?? For the data migration I used a SATA to USB adapter and it is a USB3.0 compatible. so what now?

Is there any other way that does not use Samsung's software?

And that is not all; once I had had enough, I disconnected the USB/SATA adapter, re-started the laptop... AND IT WOULDN'T RUN!!; Checked the BIOS and now it was showing the SSD as the main drive!! no more HHD... I just can't believe it, look at the BIOS configuration at that stage (third pic). My guess is that Samsung's software did that change.

This evening, after removing and trying all sorts of things, the G75VW suddenly recognized the good old HDD once more and it's running fine (I wonder if the RAM is playing silly with me?

I need help in these tech matters and a psychotherapist as well, this is too much for me..:p

Any clues?

Thanks once again for your patience..

Spanish Flyer
8 REPLIES 8

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
spanishflyer wrote:

And that is not all; once I had had enough, I disconnected the USB/SATA adapter, re-started the laptop... AND IT WOULDN'T RUN!!; Checked the BIOS and now it was showing the SSD as the main drive!! no more HHD... I just can't believe it, look at the BIOS configuration at that stage (third pic). My guess is that Samsung's software did that change.

This evening, after removing and trying all sorts of things, the G75VW suddenly recognized the good old HDD once more and it's running fine (I wonder if the RAM is playing silly with me?

Wow, that sounds pretty weird. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the Samsung SSD and their software, but I'm curious after your old HDD started working again, did you see anything different in the bios settings compared to your earlier screenshot?
I'm wondering if the Samsung software (or SSD?) could be doing anything to the bios settings although it shouldn't be.

Edit: Well, maybe it isn't that weird. If you check under your 'Hard drive BBS Properties' bios setting, you might have found the other hard drive there. Still kind of interesting if the Samsung software had something to do with changing that bios setting.

rewben
Level 13
i am not sure why the migration/cloning failed, but if you need the system up asap, i suggest you do a clean install from scratch. this time, on the ssd. it will not take long compared to hdd. before you do that, take out all the hdd's in the laptop.

I 2nd what Rewben says.
if not try Macrium Reflect its been very reliable for a lot of people with cloning to different hardware as in from your HD to your new SSD.
I still 2nd Rewben clean install is best choice for a trouble free system
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

spanishflyer
Level 7
Thanks to all as usual, that would then be my second clean install... but using the ssd this time. One question that arises is now that the SSD has had a part on the latest battle, to what kind of format should I subject it to? After that FAIL, I bet it is a bit confused and messed up. Secondly what should I set the BIOS to so laptop and SSD get along swell from the start? I will repeat the description of the "contenders"... ASUS G75VW with 12GB RAM and a Samsung 840 EVO with 750GB. Everything going well I would then install one of the two original 750 GB HHD's so the total available space would then be about 1.3 TB. Not having the RAID 0 will be a relief..

Somehow or other I have however become a firm believer that Murphy's Law RULES!!!

Thanks again,

Spanish Flyer

rewben
Level 13
ok now i assume the stock OS for your g75vw is a w7 home premium, and you have all the w7hp install media and drivers ready.

since you ran raid setup before, i think it's important for you to clear the raid settings first:

1. first of all, just unplug all the hdd's from your laptop and put the ssd in;
2. boot the laptop, press and hold ctrl key and spam i key to goto raid menu;
3. clear/delete the raid settings, save and reboot;
4. on reboot, spam f2 key to goto bios;
5. make sure sata operations is changed from raid to ahci; save the changes and shut down.

note: now we make sure the ssd is free from anything due to previous install/cloning (press the enter key whenever you type the commands in red):

1. put in your install media and boot the laptop;
2. run the windows setup installer, and when you're in the setup dialogue, press shift key + f10 key;
3. the command prompt pops up, type diskpart in the command prompt;
4. in the diskpart console, type list disk;
5. in the list of disk, you should see the ssd as disk x where x is a number;
6. type sel disk x (replace x with the number assigned to the ssd);
7. type clean;
8. type exit twice to close the command prompt;
9. proceed with windows installation normally. since the ssd is the only drive in your system, you should have no problem to continue.

spanishflyer
Level 7
rewben, you are my savior angel!

Actually I hadn't read your message till a moment ago, so I went through most of the day trying to get the Windows 7 Professional, My G75VW and the Samsung 840 EVO 750GB to come to terms; I just ignored Samsung's software and had done points 1,2, skipped 3, used the format option in the windows installation (because the SSD was there in the BIOS list), but was of the wrong type MBD instead of GPT (or something like that), so I reinstalled my HDD with the OS beside the SSD and from there I accesed the SSD drive and in the manage drives I formatted it once more... I removed the HDD, put back the Windows media and this time the installation of Windows went as smooth as ever. I the placed the G75VW drivers disc and installed the most important drivers so now FOR THE FIRST TIME I have an SSD powered laptop.

Now I have two huge doubts; ONE: should I continue installing each and every program for the third time or on the contrary go to my AcronisTrue Image 2014 and install the image I had created from the single HDD I managed to make it work two days ago on an external USB 3.0 Quick Port where my backup is anxiously waiting?

And two, how do I go by, inserting one of the HDD's that must be made to work together with the new SSD in order to have a total of about 1.5TB total space???

Installing each program, such as Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4.0 and the tons of addons such as filters, plus configuring the screen to the 27" monitor, using Colormunki etc, etc, etc, will take me about three more days if not more, and I could have that back with the ATI (Acronis) in less than half an hour... it makes you think.

I prefer to listen to the experts and then decide.

Best regards and thanks a lot for your priceless help; and rewben, I am going to copy your instructions and have then together with the Windows disk at all times.

Spanish Flyer

rewben
Level 13
for drivers, if possible get and use the latest ones from asus website.

as for the cloning, you can try it out to save time. if it doesn't work well, i think the best way is still to proceed with a clean install (and install every program that you need. it's the hard way but i'm confident to say that it's the best way to have a good system). also i think it should be more snappy if you do it on a ssd instead of hdd (at least not as painful). for samsung evo, you can enable RAPID mode with the magician software first before you start install your apps and games.

if you're talking about raid0 setup, it will not work with 1 ssd + 1 hdd. for the safety of data, i think you should consider to use the hdd for storage only, while the ssd is used for OS, apps, and games (i.e. separate data from system in different physical drives).

actually, for software like cs6 and lightroom, you can grab and save the updates from their website in an external drive for offline use. this way you can save some more time to wait for downloading updates online every time you do a clean install. (the same applies to windows/office updates). this saves you from downloading the same updates again and again (.. and they're huge collectively)

finally, don't mention it. we are glad to hear that things are getting better for you 🙂

Taklimi
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I know that most of you have a lot of problems for migrating from preinstalled Windows 8 (HDD) to your new SSD in ASUS G75VW-AH71. I had it too and I think I solved it. This is the way that works for me and hope it will be useful for you guys too.
1. Belarc Advisor is one of my favorite free system information tools, and you can find the product key of your Windows 8. Download and install it and then Run it. It gives you and HTML file that can be opened by any Explorer and you can see your Windows 8 Product Key. (Honestly, you don’t need this key because your key has been saved in your BIOS too. But it is a safe way to have your key and write it in a place. You can download Belarc Advisor v8.4 from here.
2. Also, you need to have a Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN. Here is the link that you can download it by torrent.
Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN
Don’t worry about Serial number or anything. We use or serial number that comes with our laptop and it is legal.
3. Put this Windows 8 (RTM) Build 9200 (32bit + 64bit) MSDN DVD in DVD write.
4. Now you are ready for Process.
5. Remove the 750GB HDD from computer. (I am sure you can do it easily)
6. Install your New SSD in other place for hard in back of your laptop.
7. Now is the part that you should be careful: We should change BIOS and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface)
8. Start computer and press Delete button many times to go to your BIOS screen.
9. Go to Advanced menu and then check SATA Configuration menu. Now you should see only your SSD and DVD Writer.
10. Now go back to Boot menu and disable Fast Boot.
11. Enable Lunch CSM.
12. Enable Lunch PXE OpROM.
13. In Boot Option #1 select DVD Writer.
14. Go to Security menu, and then select Secure Boot Control and Disable it. (Important)
15. Go to Save & Exit menu and click on Save Changes and Exit.
16. Now your system tries to install Windows 8 from DVD.
17. You should not have any problem with installation of DVD. It doesn’t require any Key for windows because the key of your original windows has been saved in system and it automatically add to your windows. Later when you connect to internet, the windows will be activated. (It is simple and you shouldn’t do anything)
18. After finishing Installation of Windows 8, you can download and install all software and drivers of ASUS G75VW from manufacture site. (Driver and Support Link)
19. Your process is finished now and you can enjoy your windows
20. For adding you other original 750GB Hard, you will go to your BIOS again and go to Save & Exit menu. Then select Restore Defaults and later select Save Changes and Exit.
21. Now check your windows again. Everything should work fine.
22. Shut Down the computer.
23. Remove Battery
24. Install your original 750GB Hard drive.
25. Put back the Battery.
26. Restart your Computer.
27. Now you should see your new hard drive in My Computer.

I didn’t delete or format my original 750GB hard, and base on that, I have the ability to Dual boot to my original preinstalled Windows 8 and my new one that I installed it in SSD. (Definitely I usually use my SSD one because it is extraordinarily fast near 5 sec for reaching to my Desktop screen!!!!!)

For selecting which OS boot first you should go to your BIOS and then Boot menu and under Boot Option Priorities, select Boot Option #1 and then select your OS from (SSD or HDD)