cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JH problems with audio clipping due to network card. on different machines

kugalskaper
Level 7
So unfortunately my experience with the G750JH has not been a good one. I bought the 8gb ram version yesterday (in Czech republic) and immediately found some problems after booting it up.

First i had the "white noise when using headphones issue" which many people seems to have experienced. Tried all different audio drivers to no avail, however by turning down the sound on my headphones and compensating with higher volume on the computer the issue became tolerable.

After some more extensive testing however i found a more serious issue. I experience clipping and popping when playing audio (all sources, youtube, music, video). Turns out this mostly happened when the network card was extensively in use (e,g downloading a game around 5 Mb/s). I thought it was a hardware issue and returned the computer. They gave me a new one and i hoped the issues were resolved

However the new computer has the exact same problems. I decided to do some more testing (haven't found any people reporting the same issue) and found out that latency was horrible. I used tools like "DPC latency checker" and latencymon. Problems persists even with the wifi card disabled, but it seems worse when it is in and in use. I tried all different drivers i could find (Killer 1202 card), but nothing has worked.

Seems like i have to return the G750JH tomorrow and ask for a full refund. It's sad though, seems like a very good computer (except for the problems i have mentioned)

Anyone else experienced similar issues?
10 REPLIES 10

hmscott
Level 12
kugalskaper wrote:
So unfortunately my experience with the G750JH has not been a good one. I bought the 8gb ram version yesterday (in Czech republic) and immediately found some problems after booting it up.

First i had the "white noise when using headphones issue" which many people seems to have experienced. Tried all different audio drivers to no avail, however by turning down the sound on my headphones and compensating with higher volume on the computer the issue became tolerable.

After some more extensive testing however i found a more serious issue. I experience clipping and popping when playing audio (all sources, youtube, music, video). Turns out this mostly happened when the network card was extensively in use (e,g downloading a game around 5 Mb/s). I thought it was a hardware issue and returned the computer. They gave me a new one and i hoped the issues were resolved

However the new computer has the exact same problems. I decided to do some more testing (haven't found any people reporting the same issue) and found out that latency was horrible. I used tools like "DPC latency checker" and latencymon. Problems persists even with the wifi card disabled, but it seems worse when it is in and in use. I tried all different drivers i could find (Killer 1202 card), but nothing has worked.

Seems like i have to return the G750JH tomorrow and ask for a full refund. It's sad though, seems like a very good computer (except for the problems i have mentioned)

The 2 problems are solveable, so don't give up on your new computer that quickly 🙂

1) The headphone amp needs headphones with impedance over 150 ohms - 250-300ohms is best. The hiss is due to the impedance mismatch between low ohm headphones - most ear buds are around 16 ohms. Take the laptop to a store and try a few different headphones - even ones you don't intend purchasing as long as they have higher impedance - so you can hear that the hiss diminishes and goes away when you get the right impedance match.

2) The crackling is due to the power saving mode in the driver, here is a link so you can set the registry settings - all laptops/audio cards with the Realtek chipset can experience this noise - not just Asus, lots of Dell users report the same issues with Realtek.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/587521-fix-realtek-sound-po...

3) Use Bluetooth headphones, USB headphones, or use the Toslink output of the Headphones jack to feed Toslink wireless headphones like I do - Sennheiser RS-220. The Digital Toslink has no noise/hiss and is much better sounding than an analog output.

Like you say it is a great laptop except for the audio with low impedance headphones. There are a number of solutions if you are willing to be flexible with using different headphones. I already moved to wireless headphones long ago, so even though I have wired headphones with high enough impedance to sound hiss free, I use the BT and Toslink headphones much more - I hate the tangle of wires 🙂

Let us know what you work out 🙂

Also, if you find other problems with your laptop, try to resolve them before returning it to the seller, or RMA to Asus - I find quite often people panic based on not enough information and get negative quickly, give up, and miss out - I am not just talking about Asus G750 laptops 🙂

Have fun!

hmscott
Level 12
kugalskaper wrote:

The 2 problems are solvable, so don't give up on your new computer that quickly 🙂

1) The G750 headphone amp needs headphones with impedance over 150 ohms - 250-300ohms is best. The hiss is due to the impedance mismatch between low ohm headphones - most ear buds are around 16 ohms.

Take the laptop to a store and try a few different headphones - even ones you don't intend purchasing as long as they have higher impedance - so you can hear that the hiss diminishes and goes away when you get the right impedance match. If you can't find headphones over 150 ohms locally to try, at least try higher impedance headphones than earbuds, the hiss rolls off quickly as the impedance gets higher.

2) The crackling is due to the power saving mode in the driver, here is a link so you can set the registry settings - all laptops/audio cards with the Realtek chipset can experience this noise - not just Asus, lots of Dell users report the same issues with Realtek. Feedback through the built-in microphone can cause problems too - I always mute built in mic's I am not using.

Look at the first 2 posts, set the registry to OnlyBattery, and mute the built-in microphone:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/587521-fix-realtek-sound-po...

3) Use Bluetooth headphones, USB headphones, or use the Toslink output of the Headphones jack to feed Toslink wireless headphones like I do - Sennheiser RS-220. The Digital Toslink has no noise/hiss and is much better sounding than an analog output, or you can use the Toslink output of the headphones jack to feed a Receiver with a decoder, and plug in your wired headphones into the receiver.

Like you say it is a great laptop except for the audio noise with low impedance headphones. There are a number of solutions if you are willing to be flexible with using different headphones. I already moved to wireless headphones long ago, so even though I have wired headphones with high enough impedance to sound hiss free, I use the BT and Toslink headphones much more - I hate the tangle of wires.

Let us know what you work out 🙂

Also, if you find other problems with your laptop, try to resolve them before returning it to the seller, or RMA to Asus - I find quite often people panic based on not enough information and get negative quickly, give up, and miss out - stop and think - open your mind to solutions and reconsider what seems a closed issue from other directions - give yourself time to calm down and a chance to think - and I am not just talking about Asus G750 laptops 🙂

Have fun!

kugalskaper
Level 7
Hi Hmscott. Thank you for your reply.

Yeah i know about the low impedance headphone problem and as i wrote in my post a managed to make it tolerable, so for me this is not an issue anymore.

However i believe you are wrong about my second problem. I already tried the solutions you suggested prior to making this post, and they do not work. Also the problems persists even when not on headphones (sorry if i forgot to specify that in my previous post). I also ran several latency tests and found out that the computer has severe DPC problems (peaks of 10.000s of us). I have tried disabling different drivers to locate the problem, it gets better when I disable the wireless adapter, but i can still see some issues. As i said the problem is worst when using the adapter at higher downloading speeds. I have found posts of other people having similar problems with different computers using Atheros adapters. I tried all different drivers for my card i could find but it does not solve the issue.

I am by no means panicking, its just that i go home to Norway during the weekend and won't be returning to Czech Republic until mid February. Right now I have the opportunity to get a refund, but I won't if i go back to Norway for two months and are still unable to fix the problem. I haven't even had time to stress test the RAM, CPU, GPU etc yet because i have spent all my time trying to figure out the audio issue.

Anyway I will leave to return my G750JH now, I just decided to post on this forum in case other people experience the same issues.

kugalskaper wrote:
Hi Hmscott. Thank you for your reply.

Yeah i know about the low impedance headphone problem and as i wrote in my post a managed to make it tolerable, so for me this is not an issue anymore.

However i believe you are wrong about my second problem. I already tried the solutions you suggested prior to making this post, and they do not work. Also the problems persists even when not on headphones (sorry if i forgot to specify that in my previous post). I also ran several latency tests and found out that the computer has severe DPC problems (peaks of 10.000s of us). I have tried disabling different drivers to locate the problem, it gets better when I disable the wireless adapter, but i can still see some issues. As i said the problem is worst when using the adapter at higher downloading speeds. I have found posts of other people having similar problems with different computers using Atheros adapters. I tried all different drivers for my card i could find but it does not solve the issue.

I am by no means panicking, its just that i go home to Norway during the weekend and won't be returning to Czech Republic until mid February. Right now I have the opportunity to get a refund, but I won't if i go back to Norway for two months and are still unable to fix the problem. I haven't even had time to stress test the RAM, CPU, GPU etc yet because i have spent all my time trying to figure out the audio issue.

Anyway I will leave to return my G750JH now, I just decided to post on this forum in case other people experience the same issues.

kugalskaper, you do know that you can replace the wireless card, either with another mini-PCI card internally, or with a USB adapter - the G750JH has 4 USB ports, so you likely wouldn't be giving up much to use a USB dongle Wireless card.

If you are so worried about latency, you shouldn't be using Wireless, instead use the gigabit Ethernet. Did you test real world latency (not the test) via ethernet? The AP/Router should have a few ethernet ports available.

The reason I am so emphatic about trying to save you from returning another perfectly good G750JH is that they are so hard to get, at least here, they come into stock and then are gone for a long time. It took me several months to get one, and then I waited 2 weeks for delivery.

You might want to do some more research about how that test is failing, if there is a problem with the test under Windows 8 you might be chasing your tail when trying to make it work - or trying to factor in some fudge factor for error that makes no real world sense.

TCPOptimzer is still useful for tuning IP, I have used it on Windows 8/8.1 and it is still working.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

After stopping background windows processes, indexing, updates, anti-virus, and turning off Windows VM, and disabling AAM and APM on disks, there are only game bugs causing latency issues on G750's. I haven't noticed any glitches / lag in online games, remote access tools, downloads, etc,

I think you returned 2 perfectly good laptops... 2 days wasn't enough to figure that out 🙂

villiansv
Level 11
In case you are not aware, just wanted to point out that Windows 8 is not compatible with some DPC latency checkers. Read the tiny blurb on http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml regarding Win8, for example. Of course, ignore if you know of this already :).

kugalskaper
Level 7
Hi villiansv :). I know DPC latency checker is showing higher than normal values, but i factored this into my testing. Also latencymon supports windows 8, and its what i based most of my testing on. (its a great tool, i can recommend it if you ever need a program like this). And it doesn't hide the fact that i experienced the problems first and then my suspicions got supported by the tests (if the other way around, found the problem in tests but never experienced any problems i would have been less worried). I just got back from returning the product and got a full refund, so i guess all i lost was 2 days of troubleshooting :D.

Anyway thank you for your input 🙂

kugalskaper
Level 7
Hi again hmscott. :). I just want to tell you I have already returned the laptop for a full refund. However I wanted to comment on your post. How you don't mind the format I decided to use

1) Yeah I know I can exchange the wireless card, and I also know I can use a USB dongle. However should I have to be doing either? This is a quite expensive pc (of course not among the MOST expensive out there, but still) and I think expecting it to work out of the box is reasonable. I don't know where you are from, but it seems like a lot of people on this forum is from the US? For the price I paid for my 8GB version, no blueray I could have gotten the top model in the US, and for the top model back home I would have to go over 3000$ so it seems its even more expensive over here. However I really did want this computer and I spent almost all time from day 1 until today trying to fix the problem.

2) I am not worried about latency in the terms of plain numbers. But it did give me real every day problems, as I said in my post above I wouldn't have been so concerned if I only found some problems during tests but didn’t see any manifestations. It was the problems that made me run those tests, not the other way around if it makes sense. The problem was not that small as well, it made listening to anything (even playing games) impossible to enjoy and it would have had driven me nuts in the long run. Now I kinda regret not making an audio recording of the problem so I could show you, but I think you would agree with me if you could hear it.

3) Again I don't care about latency as long as its not a problem. Not using the wireless as you suggests is not an option for me.

4) You have to understand my situation. I am usually very very unlucky when purchasing computers (toast video cards, network adapters not working, faulty ram, faulty hard drives). So every time I decide to buy a new computer I make sure I have a couple of days to test it out. I bought the first laptop on Sunday and planned to be testing it until I go home to Norway this Saturday. Usually I spend my time testing RAM, CPU, GPU and so on, to make sure there aren't any major flaws, but I got stuck on this sound problem. If I had taken the risk and brought it with me home, hoping I would be able to fix the problem given more time, I might have ended up with a computer I couldn’t send in for repairs until mid February. And of course I would just have to hope all other components of the computer were working properly (as I wouldn't have had time to test them before going home now)

5) The test It was failing basing my diagnosis on is supported by windows 8 (even 8.1), but even without this tool I would still have returned it. It's not what I based my decision on. As I said it gave me real life problems when using the pc, and quite often.

I appreciate your empathy and replies. However I do not agree with you when you said I returned 2 perfectly good laptops.

On another note it seems like a lot of dealers, both in Czech Republic and Norway, are selling these machines now. So they are not very hard to get over here. I'm sorry you had to wait a long time for yours, but you have to keep in mind that even if you have no problems with your laptop (and I'm happy for you) that doesn’t mean other people are not experiencing problems.

Anyway I appreciate your response and wish you a good day sir 🙂

kugalskaper wrote:
Hi again hmscott. :). I just want to tell you I have already returned the laptop for a full refund. However I wanted to comment on your post. ... but you have to keep in mind that even if you have no problems with your laptop (and I'm happy for you) that doesn’t mean other people are not experiencing problems.
Anyway I appreciate your response and wish you a good day sir 🙂

Thanks kugalskaper, I am not there, so I don't know what you found that turned you off to both G750JH's, but I see posts so many times from people with issues that have been resolved and solutions provided, and still return the laptops, many times sometimes, and I have been through 3 purchased at Retail G750's - all with out problems.

I know problems happen, and even in batches as well, but it isn't something I have experienced - just the tweaking and tuning to get rid of annoyances, Windows related issues, and of course driver related issues.

Were the clicking and popping sounds in audio/music/streaming only through headphones? Or was it via speakers too?

Some people have mentioned Atheros problems that went away by updating the drivers after installing Windows 8.1.

You got a laptop on the cusp of Windows 8/8.1, and might have gotten bitten by driver issues.

It's just too bad you had such a bad experience. I hope you don't give up on the G750JH, it is a great machine. And for most of us, running great.

Using it right now... 🙂

kugalskaper
Level 7
Yeah it was a shame. Problems with clipping/popping occurred both with and without headphones. And i tried all possible drivers i could find for both the wifi adapter and sound card. I did try fresh install of windows 8 pro (i have an extra license laying around), and upgraded to 8.1 but still the problem persisted. Both new and older and none solved to problem. I do agree with you that most people give up too fast though. Had i had the opportunity to keep testing and troubleshooting for a week without losing the ability to get a refund (as opposed to the computer just being sent for repairs) i would have taken it for sure.

So yeah im thinking a bad batch or something. I don't think its purely a driver issue as i would expect more people would have the same problem (i didnt find anyone on this forum complaining about the same thing). I mainly wanted to buy it here in Czech Republic to use to opportunity of tax free. I don't think i will buying the G750JH in Norway as dealers on carry the top model, and as i said is over 3000$ which is a little bit out of my price range 😞