cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z, no display, error code 62

Cloud206
Level 7
Hi, I'm having a problem with my computer that's fairly new-ish. I built it about a month ago and I had a problem them which can be found here http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/1pxa0m/troubleshooting_black_screen_after_5_minutes_of/. Basically my computer screen would go black and my monitor would say "no display" and the stand by light would turn on. After being on for about 5 minutes without the screen going black the machine would work perfectly fine.
Now yesterday I moved back home for the holidays and brought my PC, everything was normal (i.e. worked fine if it was on for >5minutes) until it just randomly crashed while playing TF2. Afterburner was reporting normal temps while playing and when the screen when black I didn't feel any extreme heat coming out of the vents. I let it rest and turned it back on fine, launched tf2 and played for a few hours fine. I started watching some movies and the screen went black and the audio stopped in the middle of one so I just turned it off for the night.
Today I was having the computer crash on me constantly. I hit the reset CMOS button on the back of my mobo, still crashing. Reset my graphics card into the mobo, still crashing. Then I tried to refresh my PC with the Windows 8 disk and it said my HDD was locked. So I just hit the power off option in the recovery with the intent of just reinstating Windows and wiping my HDD. But now I get no output at all on the screen. It just stays in standby mode. My keyboard and mouse do not light up, but my fans are all spinning and lighting up. The code that's displaying is 62. I just tried to turn it back on with no luck so I figured I should get more input on what to do because I have no idea what the problem could be. I'm assuming it's the motherboard because the keyboard isn't lighting up, but again I have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Edit: if I hit the boot to bios button on the mobo the keyboard and mouse light up and sometimes the bios menu opens, but it's cut out to black on me after a couple minutes.
15 REPLIES 15

brkkab123
Level 7
Try a different cable from your video card to your monitor. It could be a bad cable, a bad video card, a bad monitor or it could also be a bad PCIe x16 port on your motherboard.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please list all your hard ware in your system. Include your screen model please.

Things to do.

Update your bios using a FAT formatted usb stick via the EZFlash2 utility in tools menu in bios. NOT OS please.

Change the PCIe lane.

Check the PSU connectors to the VGA are correctly seated.

Change VGA cable

Change the connector used on your VGA for the cable.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Cloud206
Level 7
Sorry. Here are my specs.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: In WIn Commander II 1200W
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor: AOC i2367Fh 60Hz 23.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: SteelSeries Call of Duty Black Ops II Wired Laser Mouse
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 11:51 EST-0500)

I think I managed to isolate the problem to one of the HDMI ports at the back of my monitor and the middle PCIe slot. I changed HDMI cords which didn't help. Then I plugged it into the TV's HDMI port and that got the computer started and everything, but it still had the black screen after 5 minutes problem. So I moved my graphics card up a slot and reinstalled Windows just to be safe. I haven't gotten to test it in game, but I haven't had a problem so far installing things and watching movies online. I'll test when I get home and finish installing my games, but if it does go black in the middle of a game I assume my problem lies in my graphics card?

Also, get the firmware update for the Corsair H-100i. The video card should be in PCIe x16 slot 1.

Cloud206
Level 7
Sorry. Here are my specs.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage: Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: In WIn Commander II 1200W
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit)
Monitor: AOC i2367Fh 60Hz 23.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: SteelSeries Call of Duty Black Ops II Wired Laser Mouse
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-12 11:51 EST-0500)

I think I managed to isolate the problem to one of the HDMI ports at the back of my monitor and the middle PCIe slot. I changed HDMI cords which didn't help. Then I plugged it into the TV's HDMI port and that got the computer started and everything, but it still had the black screen after 5 minutes problem. So I moved my graphics card up a slot and reinstalled Windows just to be safe. I haven't gotten to test it in game, but I haven't had a problem so far installing things and watching movies online. I'll test when I get home and finish installing my games, but if it does go black in the middle of a game I assume my problem lies in my graphics card?

Cloud206
Level 7
Alright I played today around lunch and it was working fine. I come back 30 minutes ago and boot it out of sleep normally leaving it at my lock screen while I leave for a minute. I come back to black screen and monitor in standby mode. I tried rebooting and using 3 different monitors/TVs and I'm getting no output. They all just say no signal with my keyboard and mouse lit up. I tested all the USB ports on the back and they all seem to work. The Ethernet light is on, all the fans are spinning, the HDD, the CD/DVD drive is working too. Tried 2 different HDMI cords too.

So what am I looking at here a dead graphics card, dead motherboard? Would it be worth it to invest in an HDMI to mini-HDMI cord just to test and see if it's the HDMI port on the graphics card? Would I lose any performance or quality with microHDMI if that's the case?

EDIT: If I hit the boot to bios button on the mobo the bios screen shows on the monitor. Could it at all possibly be the HDD? It's the oldest part in my machine and it's been through me frying my motherboard on my first machine and I was having trouble getting it to work on my second.

EMBARRASSING EDIT2: I switched the boot order back booting from HDD first and now it's working again. For how long I don't know, but I'd still like advice on my situation. Thanks.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Wake from sleep issues are normally memory.

If your system is at defaults and that includes memory do you wake from sleep issues?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Cloud206
Level 7
The first time I had issues waking it from sleep was last night. It woke up from sleep fine this morning. Was it just a bug?

HiVizMan
Level 40
If that behaviour continues then it is more than just chance.