Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array Simba7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    28

    G53SX upgradable to a 770 or 780M?

    I'd like to upgrade my graphics card from a 560M to either a 770M or 780M, but I'd like to make sure it will work.
    Router(Nokia IP390,4GB RAM,4x GigE SFP Ports,4x 10/100/1000mbps Ports,OpenBSD 5.5)
    MyWS(Phenom II X3 720 BE@3.3GHz,8GB RAM,2TB+2TB+1.5TB HDDs,GFGTX560Ti,LG WH12LS30 BD-RE,W7U)
    MyNB(Asus G53SX-XT1,Core i7-2630QM@2GHz,24GB RAM,2x2TB HDDs,BD-RE,W7U)
    MyMC(Pentium E5200@3.5GHz,4GB RAM,3x2TB RAID5,GFGT520,W7U)

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    180

    Hei. I am pretty sure it is possible to upgrade to both. I have already managed to upgrade to 680m and 770m on my g73sw. However there is hestink and video bios modifications needed. Does both cpu and gpu have dedicated heatsinks?
    Last edited by jmhdj; 12-12-2013 at 09:34 AM.

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Quote Originally Posted by jmhdj View Post
    Hei. I am pretty sure it is possible to upgrade to both. I have already managed to upgrade to 680m and 770m on my g73sw. However there is hestink and video bios modifications needed. Does both cpu and gpu have dedicated heatsinks?
    Each of them does, yes. I think it can be done, since I have heard of someone doing an upgrade on the G53SW. It is a lot of work, and you have to remember that ASUS doesn't use the standard MXM slot.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    180

    I know about this guy Muratus. He has upgraded his g73sw With 560m gpu from g53sx but did not heard of anyone that has upgraded g53sx to anything better. However I used gpu heatsink from older g73jh to upgrade my gpu's so if that heatsink can not fit inside g53sx properly thing can get complicated very fast.

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Quote Originally Posted by jmhdj View Post
    I know about this guy Muratus. He has upgraded his g73sw With 560m gpu from g53sx but did not heard of anyone that has upgraded g53sx to anything better. However I used gpu heatsink from older g73jh to upgrade my gpu's so if that heatsink can not fit inside g53sx properly thing can get complicated very fast.
    The GPU heatsink will not fit. I own the G53SX (computer I am typing this on right now), and it is pretty cramped inside with the heatsink.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    180

    Then hes options are blowtorch and chances of exploding heatpipes

  7. #7
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Quote Originally Posted by jmhdj View Post
    Then hes options are blowtorch and chances of exploding heatpipes
    LOL. Not exactly. If he can modify the heatsinks as some have done, he should be OK. Just needs to be clever and careful!
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    180

    You mean to modify it to match ordinary MXM gpu's with original heatsink? If so I cant believe that it is possible as asus gpu layout is to difering from MXM standard. As for upgrading to asus 770m or 780m is very difficult as it is not possible to find those and if one can buy them price is atleast 2 times higher.

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    All Internet and clambered on the replacement video card that does not nashol. Why make a discrete graphics card if it is not possible to upgrade to a more powerful. I want to update my G 53. If the processor is still capable graphics card can handle it need updating. How to do it who will?
    Thank you.
    My computer ASUS G 53SX
    15.6" (1900-1080) Full HD LED,
    Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.0 ГГц) /
    RAM 8 ГБ / HDD 1 ТБ
    GTX 560M, 2 ГБ / Blu-Ray

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Quote Originally Posted by jmhdj View Post
    You mean to modify it to match ordinary MXM gpu's with original heatsink? If so I cant believe that it is possible as asus gpu layout is to difering from MXM standard. As for upgrading to asus 770m or 780m is very difficult as it is not possible to find those and if one can buy them price is atleast 2 times higher.
    No, the socket design that ASUS uses is custom, as is the heatsink design. You could modify the heatsink potentially, but definitely not the socket design.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •